Sign in to follow this  
vincent

Which Strobe to choose?

Hello guys,

I'm considering to buy myself a strobe. I'm currently using a Canon A710IS. Initially I was considering the Inon D2000 or Sea&Sea YS90. However recently I was offered a Ikelite DS125 (which the owner said is better as compared to Inon D2000).

I would really appreciate it if there is anyone here who can offer me some advise before I go on with my purchase.

Cheers,

Vincent

Hello guys,

I'm considering to buy myself a strobe. I'm currently using a Canon A710IS. Initially I was considering the Inon D2000 or Sea&Sea YS90. However recently I was offered a Ikelite DS125 (which the owner said is better as compared to Inon D2000).

I would really appreciate it if there is anyone here who can offer me some advise before I go on with my purchase.

Cheers,

Vincent

This is an (old) chestnut, so appropriate for the Christmas season, I guess.

With a compact camera I would say that the choice is easy: Inon, with an optical connection.

With a DSLR it's harder, and there has been a lot of discussion on Wetpixel: if you want confusion, just do a search! Can your system use an Ikelite electrical connection? If not, you need an Inon. If you have the money, a Z-240 can be used on a housing with either electrical or optical connections, which can be useful if you upgrade in the future.

Don't forget the strobe arms which are an important part of the overall system...

Tim

B)

(More)

I've looked at the specs on your camera: it has no facility, as far as I can see, for an electrical sync cord connection. An Ikelite strobe can be used in "slave" mode, but this is more difficult and less flexible than using an optical connection to an Inon strobe.

Be warned, though: the Inon instruction manual has to be read with great care, and in great detail!

Tim

B)

Thanks, Tim. Your valuable advise and information is deeply appreciated.

I'm actualy inclined to the Inon strobe but heard some contradicting comments on them. And of course commemts from some that prefers Ikelite & Sea&Sea. Let me just listen to a few more experts' opinion first before deciding.

Cheers,

Vincent

Good luck!

Tim

B)

Hi Vincent,

Here's a handy site to add to your favorites. http://www.digitaldiver.net/strobes.php

I have the Inon Z-240 and love it. The ikelite DS125 has a few down sides in my opinion. Proprietary battery means separate charger and extra batteries to carry. The Inon uses AA rechargeables. The Ikeilte is heavier and a larger strobe but the Z-240 is just as strong. If you own the OEM housing for your camera the Inon's wireless TTL will serve you well.

I'm with Tim and Gary. I really like the Inons: quite small and light for travelling, highly variable power output, no fancy chargers to carry - uses AA batteries. If using two you can set one to be a slave; or wire them both.

Thank you guys for all your valuable information. I've made up my mind to buy myself an Inon strobe.

So guys, wait for my good news.

Thanks again.

Cheers :)

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements