Purplereef

Carrying case for Single Inon D2000 + Arm + Ikelite housing for Canon G9

Hi,

I'm trying to fit the above equipment into one case suitable to be carried into the aircraft cabin. Anyone with past experience, has a suitable case in mind? Pelican / Storm or others?

Please advice

Happy New Year.

Hi - and Happy New Year!

I'd suggest playing around with all the bits of gear by laying them out on a table or the floor until you get a neat square or rectangular shape using all the bits - with roughly an inch between each part. Then measure the outside of the shape. This then forms the internal measurements of whatever case you chose - although you may want to add a bit more space to hold future purchases. Then take a look on the Pelican or Storm websites. They show the various case shapes and provide the internal and external measurements. Find a case with internal measurements that will fit the shape you have worked out. And then check this fits within the airline regulations. A case such as the Pelican 1510 should be fine - and holds a lot of gear

A couple of other potential considerations: do you go for "pluck foam" or dividers in the case? Pluck foam is usually cheaper and can be made to fit the gear perfectly. But it breaks down over the years. Dividers are more expensive, are highly adjustable but, arguably, don't hold the gear quite as securely (although I've used them for years without a problem).

And then do you want wheels and an extendable handle on the case? Costs more money, increases the weight of the case (maybe be an issue when you fly) - but makes it easier to carry. Maybe a carrying strap? And maybe a lid organiser - rather than foam in the lid.

And then there is colour of course! Black, yellow.........

Decisions, decisions. Have fun with it!

Edited by TimG

Hi,

I'm trying to fit the above equipment into one case suitable to be carried into the aircraft cabin. Anyone with past experience, has a suitable case in mind? Pelican / Storm or others?

Please advice

Happy New Year.

Do you also travel with a laptop? Consider a Lowpro Computrekker or equivalent from another maker. Given how small that setup is, I would think all if that would even fit in the non-Plus version of the computrekker with room to spare of extras...

Thanks, I've got a computrekker, and it doesnt fit. I will try a Stealth reporter D550AW :)

Do you also travel with a laptop? Consider a Lowpro Computrekker or equivalent from another maker. Given how small that setup is, I would think all if that would even fit in the non-Plus version of the computrekker with room to spare of extras...

Tamrac have got some good backpack style bags too that have a laptop slot.

I've got a pelican 1520 that fits my G7, Ike Housing, Ike substrobe and WA lens quite well. The Pick n pluck foam is good, was able to shape it to how I wanted. Would be my recommendation.

Have also used a Lowpro padded camera bag before, also a good alternative, although not as sturdy.

Purplereef: Do let us know what you got in the end cos currently I'm also looking at the range of case/bag which I can get for the same setup =)

Well i just use a Jansports bag for a very similar set up...check out

http://www.jansport.com/international/asia...ducts/K743.html

It works fine for me..although it is not strictly a photo bag ! Also carries my computer plus a lot of other small gadgets and has some room left after all this. Is easy to roll and fits intop the overhead baggage compartment easily. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Diggy

Hi,

Please advice

Happy New Year.

when i was using my Oly C-8080 rig i was using an 1550 pelican case and could fit the camera and oly housing with two sea and sea ys-120s and arms it all fit in there well. this case in the largest case you can have and still use it as a carry on i traveled a lot with it and never had a problem.

Edited by landshark23

After doing a lot of research on this you're either going to be looking at these products. You'll want wheels because lugging a suitcase is a pain without them.

Storm IM2500

Pelican 1510

There's a couple more hardcases that slightly push the airline limit. I think if you do a search under cases you flind them. They're also slightly more expensive that the top 2. In any case, the two hardcases above will house what you've listed above.

There's a couple of softpack bags but in the end they weigh as much as the Pelican does empty because they use a two bag system to pack and protect the stuff additionally their inside dimensions are slight less.

just remember that a Pelican 1510 weights like 6kg empty (just with foam). With a lot of airlines now restricting carry on weight to 7kg, that doesn't leave you with much.

"With a lot of airlines now restricting carry on weight to 7kg, that doesn't leave you with much."

Even a backpack weighs almost 10lbs. What airline is restricting to 7Kg? Just curious as most larger airlines don't care what you put in your carry on as long as it fits in the overhead or underneath the seat.

This seems to be a South East Asia practice. The US and Europe still allow you to carry on 18-23 kg unless there is more than 3 oz of liquids, gels or other explosives like water bottles.

Singapore airlines: http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/cont...bin_baggage.jsp

Malaysia (5kg): http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/getdoc/0d0...nformation.aspx

Garuda: http://www.garuda-indonesia.com/index.php?...ail&catid=3

Cathay: http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_INTL/h...gageinformation

Thai: http://www.thaiairways.com/Travel_Destinat...m%20I%20allowed?

, etc.

Of course, enforcement always seems to be hit or miss. Some days the cops are at the doors with scales and other days everyone is carrying on refrigerators.

Edited by zippsy

Thanks that was really helpful for a guy who doesn't travel much on that side of the mud ball. I've got an up and coming trip to the Philippines in May.

Kind of wierd some of those airlines are only allowing 1 carry on. All have weight distinctions between first class, business and coach. Maybe its just me but I would think you would have a tough time policing weight restrictions. I've had my computer bag weighing in at over 20lbs before. However, I would also think the hard cases would attract immediate attention. Now that I just bought my 1510...LOL. I guess I'll fill it full of helium after the lid is closed.

Gary, yeah it's hit or miss. To be honest, I don't think I've been asked to weigh my carry on in awhile even on regional trips. I did get dinged recently when I took a Tiger Air (budget) flight - made me check in a small pelican (I had two carry ons).

When I fly Cathay, since I have Marco Polo club status, they're very relax about carry ons. Singapore Air or Malaysian Air (flown recently in the past 3 mos) didn't give me a hard time but then I was traveling with my gf and she wasn't carrying much.

But I have seen other passengers being asked to weight their carry ons while waiting in line (on other local airlines). Usually it's the obviously cases where the bags just "look" too big. For instance on PAL flights to Philippines, they can be tough on the domestic help returning home trying to bring too much luggage.

I think if you're flying in on connecting flights from the States, you probably can get away with it given the generous allowance airlines give for flights originating from N. America. Probably just have to worry about those little puddle jumpers...

Edited by pakman

Thank you everybody. Eventually, I've got myself a Lowepro Stealthreporter 400. Its a soft camera case but fits the housing lens, single strobe and arm snuggly. I can even squeeze in spare batts and portable hardisk. Its way much cheaper too!

Sponsors

Advertisements