Sign in to follow this  
CeeDave

Dual strobes on Subal ND70?

Hello,

I've got a few dozen dives now on my (used) ND70 which came with ultralight handles. The system is strong, but I've had repeated problems with the handles loosening during dives.

Anyone using dual strobes with the Subal handles? Do you mount one on the left tab, and one on the "hot shoe"? Is it secure?

Anyone got an anti-loosen solution for the ulcs handles?

Thanks,

Chris

Have you tried Loktite, lock washers or self-locking nuts (nyloks)?

Have you tried Loktite, lock washers or self-locking nuts (nyloks)?

Not nylocks yet, but the others, yes. I may also switch the easy to strip allen bolts to another type.

Hello,

I've got a few dozen dives now on my (used) ND70 which came with ultralight handles. The system is strong, but I've had repeated problems with the handles loosening during dives.

Anyone using dual strobes with the Subal handles? Do you mount one on the left tab, and one on the "hot shoe"? Is it secure?

Thanks,

Chris

Hi,

See my solution in this link in the forum.

Easy to do and work very well.

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21409

Best regards,

Tigershark

Which are coming loose?

-housing handles

-the ULCS ball adapters

In either case, you could try wrapping the hex screws with multiple layers of teflon tape which will make them fit tighter in the tapped holes and prevent them from welding themselves in the holes too.

Take Care,

ChrisS

Tigershark,

This looks great ... but I confess I'm too naive to understand what you mean by (or how you did)

" fine bricolage for supporting 2nd flash arm."

Could you teach me a bit? Sorry to be so demanding, but that looks just like what I want.

Thanks for help if you have time, or inspiration if you don't.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi,

See my solution in this link in the forum.

Easy to do and work very well.

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21409

Best regards,

Tigershark

Hi Chris,

Bricolage means - Do it yourself - or put the design in professional hands (metal mechanic ???) to make what you need.

This is very easy.

You only need:

1 x Aluminium plate

1 x Rubber cube or Fiber glass

3 or 4 (if you want put one more in the housing handle) x screw.

In my solution the screw thread are in the aluminium plate and in the rubber cube, but you can use a nut screw in the connection to the housing handle.

See the photos and good look in the work.

Note: The housing handles are Subal original and with this I keep the right strap.

Best regards,

Tigershark

post-15186-1199842273_thumb.jpg

post-15186-1199842299_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Tigershark. The additional photo made it clear.

Howdy strangers,

I've been silent a while (diving a good bit), and while learning and reading I haven't had much to say.

However, just got back from a trip to Indonesia. I simply used loktite blue (as before) and replaced the allen bolts on the bottom of the ultralight handles with stainless hex-head bolts, which I could tighten more than I could the allen bolts, better compressing the split-ring lock washer on the bolt shaft. The handles never loosened and disassembled easily at the end of the trip.

Cheers,

Chris

Hello,

Thanks,

Chris

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements