Sign in to follow this  
loftus

Nikon vs Canon

Until the next wave of new Canons. I keep wondering why anybody cares.

Tried to e-mail PM reply, but you either have mail blocked or your mailbox is full.

This is all very interesting ... sort of. I'm still shooting my D70 underwater, but have a D300 that I'm using for other shots (the camera only costs a third what a new Subal housing would; bought my last Subal used and expect to do the same on my next). I am a little disappointed that Apple have been so slow to get D300 raws usable in Aperture.

That said, I am simply amazed at the high ISO and auto ISO performance of the D300 (I shoot mainly 14-bit, visually lossless compression; playing with both DNG->CS2 and Capture NX). The extra cropping latitude, with tolerable noise and great ergonomics of the D300, is wonderful. The MP difference is especially nice for landscape shots, where I commonly crop to 1V X 2W, and am left with far more pixels and flexibility at 12MP than with 6MP.

Then again, I am amazed at how good my D70 has become, as I have gotten more experienced! Every dive trip, I squeeze better photos out of that (by now very dated) camera. Maybe its partly just choosing to love my situation: I can't buy a new housing often ... it'll be a year or three before my next upgrade.

One thing I take away from the posted article, and agree with wholeheartedly: ergonomics matter. I saw a big improvement when I changed housings to something that was more convenient for my hands (for my hands; a Subal vs an Ikelite housing). The improved ergonomics allowed me to focus on exposure and strobe placement, instead of elements of camera maneuvering -- and, critically, to use focus lock more effectively. This was important on the sardine run, where mobility was key; it matters in Caribbean WA and macro, too. I do wish the Subal ND70 gave access to flash compensation; it would make the Ike and H-W iTTL convertors much more interesting to me.

So what does it mean for us slow (UW) adopters? Well, for me, I will wait and see how the 14-24 fares underwater, and maybe if it does well then wait for a FF update to the D300 -- since wide is what it's about for most UW photography, for me.

It is wonderful to have so many choices. Just wish I had more money....

Chris

this was an interesting quote from the article:

"We see this carried to its extreme with the adolescent fanboy attitudes displayed on some web forums and camera clubs in defense of one brand over another."

:D

Edited by sgietler

This is why I thought it was a good article coming from the source it did. I've always felt more comfortable with the ergonomics of Nikon though I'm sure I could get used to Canon. I think the point he made was that most of us who are really passionate about our photography, amateur or pro, will be upgrading our cameras every few years, as cameras are now mostly about electronics and ergonomics. I think many Nikon users had a concern that Nikon might be falling way behind Canon in the 'electronics' aspect.

For me it's nice to know that I can stick with my investment in lenses etc without thinking that Nikon will be left behind as digital cameras reach a mature phase in terms of image quality and features.

Then again, I am amazed at how good my D70 has become...Every dive trip, I squeeze better photos out of that (by now very dated) camera.

Chris

I concur!! We don't need a new camera Chris, our D70s are perfect.. :D

Until the next wave of new Canons. I keep wondering why anybody cares.

Then when that wave hits, no one should care until the next wave of Nikons. Personally, I never care and am actually wondering why I wasted my time even reading this thread :D:D !

Mike

So...

Anyone take any pictures lately?

So...

I sent you one yesterday.. :D

wait for a FF update to the D300 -- since wide is what it's about for most UW photography, for me.

Not meaning to be a smart-ass, but that's the D3, right. I don't think the Dxxx line will be FF in the near term.

I just read www.kenrockwell.com review of the D3/D300.... wow! I am ordering the D300 to replace the D70.

Edited by rogerbly

Yup. Finally growing into my Subal housing. I'm enjoying the D300 above water, but the D70 will do fine underwater for a couple more years. Taken a few weeks ago in the Bay Islands.

WhoWantsToKnow.jpg

So...

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements