Gary, yes it works but not as well as the Inon or Athena macro ports. I tested the Inon macro port and it is very nice, can be had without the magnetic ring which you can add later and is lower cost than the Olympus or Athena.

Andy, I recommend you learn to shoot in manual until you can afford to go to new strobes. The conversion is not worth the cost verses reliability and ease of use. You will become a better photographer learning in manual.

KT, the Olympus strobe is a fiber optic strobe. Look in the Digitaldiver.net strobe finder for more information or at an olympus site. Reef Photo sell a lot of these strobes to entry level photographers looking for a low cost, about $ 300.00 strobe.

Phil Rudin

Although I`d like to chime in for the INON port here as it allows you to use the INON wet lenses for more Macro when you really need it.

inon or athena, both have 67mm.

I have epoque wet lenses, the really strong dml-2 macro lens.... tried it on my athena port over the 50mm and never again. Yeah, it's strong, yeah, it's an inexpensive lens, just a simple lens, not a achromat or apochromat, yeah it was good enough for the old 5050... but never again on my 50mm. It just messes up the image quality too much. Using the plain 50mm and cropping and stair interpolating with photoshop probably gets you an image just as good.

Lower power wet lenses may work better, but of course, they will do less. I wouldn't go too crazy for that 67mm theading.

But it is really nice having a more compact, streamlined port.

just my 2 cents.

"Gary, yes it works but not as well as the Inon or Athena macro ports."

I sometimes feel like I've completely started over by going to a DSLR. Its like going from rugby to American Football. I'm sure you can feel my growing pains.

So by not working "as well" does that mean it will have focusing issues, not be as sharp or ?

Also, Athena and Inon make just one port, a dome port, for the PT-E03 right? So does this dome port cover quite a few lenses? Would it be worth it to sell the Oly port and upgrade my port first?

Also the more I read about the 12-60mm lens the more I want this lens underwater. Due to its size 98mm in length 79mm wide I'm certain it won't fit in my port. Would a lens like this fit into the Athena or Inon port?

Also the more I read about the 12-60mm lens the more I want this lens underwater. Due to its size 98mm in length 79mm wide I'm certain it won't fit in my port. Would a lens like this fit into the Athena or Inon port?

It certainly is a brilliant lens, but somehow I can't see why it would be so much better than eg the 14-42. Sure, you get slightly more WA, but I hardly think that will make a huge difference compared to getting an UWA lens. And a macro lens is much better at that than the 12-60.

I own the 12-60 and love it, but don't plan on using it UW.

Phil, thanks for the info. My original idea back when I first intended to take an SLR underwater was to go with the DS51 strobes as I felt two of those would be sufficient. This could perhaps be a good alternative for the Nexus housing, to start out with?

What would be the best upgrade route, or the next step up in strobes?

inon or athena, both have 67mm.

I have epoque wet lenses, the really strong dml-2 macro lens.... tried it on my athena port over the 50mm and never again. Yeah, it's strong, yeah, it's an inexpensive lens, just a simple lens, not a achromat or apochromat, yeah it was good enough for the old 5050... but never again on my 50mm. It just messes up the image quality too much. Using the plain 50mm and cropping and stair interpolating with photoshop probably gets you an image just as good.

Lower power wet lenses may work better, but of course, they will do less. I wouldn't go too crazy for that 67mm theading.

But it is really nice having a more compact, streamlined port.

just my 2 cents.

I can't speak to the Epoque lens, other than to say I selected the INON lens over it. What I CAN say is that I have been VERY happy with the INON UCL-165 67mm lens when mated to my Canon 100mm (I stick the lens on the end of my S&S custom flat port with a custom-made adapter. Maybe those Olympus lenses are so much better than my Canon, or maybe the Epoque lens is that much worse than the INON or maybe the distances are off with the combination you've got. I don't know, but I find the 67mm wet lens option to be very, very nice. If you look in my last Indonesia gallery, many of the shots of small nudibranchs were done with the 67mm lens on there.

http://mikeoelrich.net/Indo0507

Mike

Hi all,

Having a nice relaxing day of diving in the Cayman Islands so I will make thi as short as I can.

First the Inon, Olympus and Athena ports fit ALL the Olympus DSLR housings and will fit the Nexus and UK-Germany housings for the E-3 ( also E-300/E-330 from UK) with the adapter. The macro ports are better than the 14 to 42 zoom port because they are smaller, lighter, the lens comes closer to the inside of the port glass

(which puts greater distance between subject and lens) Inon and Athena are threaded (67mm) for diopters, filters, Athena ring flash and more. The 35 and 50 macro can be used under the 14/42 port until you get the port. I would rather have a new lens before a new port.

No port or zoom gear has been introduced for the 12 to 60 yet. I have used my 12 to 60 with the Olympus dome port and 7 to 14 zoom extension with a home made gear which does not work well. The results were quite good and the AF is fast,fast fast under water. When you look at the 14 to 42 v. 12 to 60 remember that the kit lens is used with a flat port which reduces angle of view at both ends. The 12 to 60 would be much wider behind a dome port and still retain a respectable close-up end with a greater working distance between subject and lens than with the kit lens.

The Athena dome port is 220 mm and cost about $1500.00, it is an outstanding port for all the wide lenses, 7/14

11/22 and 8 fisheye. You will not find a better port.

The Inon port is designed for use with the 8 mm fisheye and is light, small and gives great picture quality at about $600.00. It may work with the 12 to 60 but not the 7/14.

The Olympus dome is 170 mm, the glass is from Athena and has the same coating as all their domes. It is around $900.00 and works well but can't reach the corner sharpness of the 220 mm dome.

The DS51 strobes are designed to be used with Iklite cords and TTl converter in an Iklite housing. They can be used with Nikonos V cords and a $350.00 TTL Athena converter in the Olympus housings or Nexus housing. I see no upside to going with Ike strobes if you are going to a non-Ike housing for your Olympus camera. With the E-410 or E-3 I would just go for the fiber optic option. The Oly strobe or one of the Inon strobes depending on how much you are willing to spend.

Phil Rudin

Thanks for the article, Yoko! It certainly does look good.

Don't mention it :)

Anthis has announced the release of Nexus Eï¼3 on January 17, 2008 :)

http://www.anthis.co.jp/news08_02_1.html

http://www.anthis.co.jp/news08_02_2.html

Weight:2,100g

Price: JPY260,400~291,900(for Olympus port),JPY246,750~278,250(for Nexus port)

Depth Rating:75m

Yoko

Andy, I recommend you learn to shoot in manual until you can afford to go to new strobes. The conversion is not worth the cost verses reliability and ease of use. You will become a better photographer learning in manual.

Phil Rudin

Hi Phil

Once again thanks for the info. I used F/O when I first got my 5060 and am using it temporarily again now (problem with bulkhead) with my 7070 so I don't have an issue with manual strobes. I enjoy being able to experiment with different lighting effects.

However the Auto sensor on the YS 90 Auto plays havoc with exposure, especially on macro stuff - the strobe keeps on making adjustments to it's output, even on successive shots of the same subject. The Auto function is cancelled with wired strobes. I wonder if masking off the sensor will get more even results ?

I know, replace the strobes !!!! :)

Also the water temp here gets down to 7 deg C (45 deg F) so I have to wear 5mm gloves, the combo of the two makes operation of small buttons difficult to say the least. The exposure dial on the YS 90 in particular can become difficult to operate with semi frozen hands.

This is why I like to use TTL locally, where I do 90% of my diving, so any input re the conversion is greatfully appreciated.

BTW Given that some E-3's are showing focussing issues, after having read your review on the 410 I almost pulled the trigger on getting one as a start to DSLR. But I think I will wait a while.

Hi all,

Having a nice relaxing day of diving in the Cayman Islands so I will make thi as short as I can.

First the Inon, Olympus and Athena ports fit ALL the Olympus DSLR housings and will fit the Nexus and UK-Germany housings for the E-3 ( also E-300/E-330 from UK) with the adapter. The macro ports are better than the 14 to 42 zoom port because they are smaller, lighter, the lens comes closer to the inside of the port glass

(which puts greater distance between subject and lens) Inon and Athena are threaded (67mm) for diopters, filters, Athena ring flash and more. The 35 and 50 macro can be used under the 14/42 port until you get the port. I would rather have a new lens before a new port.

No port or zoom gear has been introduced for the 12 to 60 yet. I have used my 12 to 60 with the Olympus dome port and 7 to 14 zoom extension with a home made gear which does not work well. The results were quite good and the AF is fast,fast fast under water. When you look at the 14 to 42 v. 12 to 60 remember that the kit lens is used with a flat port which reduces angle of view at both ends. The 12 to 60 would be much wider behind a dome port and still retain a respectable close-up end with a greater working distance between subject and lens than with the kit lens.

The Athena dome port is 220 mm and cost about $1500.00, it is an outstanding port for all the wide lenses, 7/14

11/22 and 8 fisheye. You will not find a better port.

The Inon port is designed for use with the 8 mm fisheye and is light, small and gives great picture quality at about $600.00. It may work with the 12 to 60 but not the 7/14.

The Olympus dome is 170 mm, the glass is from Athena and has the same coating as all their domes. It is around $900.00 and works well but can't reach the corner sharpness of the 220 mm dome.

The DS51 strobes are designed to be used with Iklite cords and TTl converter in an Iklite housing. They can be used with Nikonos V cords and a $350.00 TTL Athena converter in the Olympus housings or Nexus housing. I see no upside to going with Ike strobes if you are going to a non-Ike housing for your Olympus camera. With the E-410 or E-3 I would just go for the fiber optic option. The Oly strobe or one of the Inon strobes depending on how much you are willing to spend.

Phil Rudin

That summarized exactly what I was looking for B) ...thanks again. I was just in a little bit of a money quandry. I have about $500 to spend but want to put the money where it will be best spent. That looks to be buying the 50mm and just putting it behind my flat port for now.

Don't mention it :D

Anthis has announced the release of Nexus Eï¼3 on January 17, 2008 :excl:

http://www.anthis.co.jp/news08_02_1.html

http://www.anthis.co.jp/news08_02_2.html

Weight:2,100g

Price: JPY260,400~291,900(for Olympus port),JPY246,750~278,250(for Nexus port)

Depth Rating:75m

Yoko

Thanks!

Could you clarify what the difference is between the two versions with the Olympus ports?

Who sells the Inon and Athena ports in the US?

Site sponsor Reef Photo Video for one. They have all of the Olympus equipment in stock at most times.

Phil

Thanks!

Could you clarify what the difference is between the two versions with the Olympus ports?

Hi,

The difference is between the two versions is equipment with strobe connectors for electrical cable or without them.

Yoko

Somebody knows where can i order this nexus housing?

The shipment will be to Spain.

Thanks for the info.

Somebody knows where can i order this nexus housing?

The shipment will be to Spain.

Thanks for the info.

Hi Estaban (AKA Medusito...),

Do you have a USA authorized dealers list at Nexus USA website: http://www.usanexus.com/dealers.html

In Europe you can try in London http://www.oceanoptics.co.uk

In Japan the Yuzo`s shop http://www.uwdigitalcamera.com

In Taiwan http://www.enzomarine.com

Edited by nachogil

Hi,

The difference is between the two versions is equipment with strobe connectors for electrical cable or without them.

Yoko

Hi Yoko,

I think the difference is that the Olympus port version (the mounting ring can be removed to mount Nexus ports as well) can be ordered with two Nikonos V bulkheads and two fiber optic ports or with two Olympus type bulkheads and two fiber optic ports.

Phil Rudin

I think the difference is that the Olympus port version (the mounting ring can be removed to mount Nexus ports as well) can be ordered with two Nikonos V bulkheads and two fiber optic ports or with two Olympus type bulkheads and two fiber optic ports.

Phil,

Based on your experience, which of the configurations would you recommend? As I've mentioned I have no prior investments in any system.

From what I've understood so far, it sounds as if you would suggest using fiber optics no matter what strobe I go with.

And what would be the reasons for going with Nexus instead of Ikelite (given that the former is more expensive and much harder for me to get my hands on here)?

I have had great success with fiber optics on the Olympus E-410 housing (PT-E03) with the Inon Z-240 strobes and in tests with the Inon D-2000 strobes IN TTL. I am not aware of any other strobes that work in TTL with fiber optics other than the Olympus UFL-1.

If you shoot manual other strobes may fire with the fiber optics, but I have not tested this.

If you install the Olympus bulkheads you can use the Olympus land strobe housings or an Athena TTL converter for TTL strobes fired with a Nikonos V type cable.

If you add the Nikonos V type bulkheads you can shoot in manual with strobes that use the Nik V cord or in TTL with a converter mounted inside the housing which fits into the hot shoe on the camera.

The E-3 is a pro quality camera and some will want the added features of the Nexus housing like better quality ports. I already own ports that will fit the Nexus housing. The ability to add a 45 degree or 180 degree enlarged view finder. The ability to use fiber optics (Ikelite not designed for F/O) and use of the Inon Z-240 strobes I already own.

Ikelite has a lower cost, built in TTl if you use Iklite strobes (not all work) and a large following of repeat users as does Nexus.

Phil Rudin

Thanks!

I think I will go for the Nexus housing with Oly ports and (initially) two Oly strobes. It's entry level and ony 40 meters, but seems sufficient to begin with. If I want to upgrade I can then go with Inon.

I'm planning on starting out with the 8 mm FE and 50 mm macro. From what I've read here it seems the Oly dome and macro ports would work well with these, right? The 7-14 mm is highly desirable but after much consideration, I don't think I will use it that much above water to justify the price tag (especially as I have to get the 50-200 mm SWD which is also pricey).

I guess the one final decision to make is to go with Oly or Nik V bulkheads then. It sounds as if the Oly bulkhead is the more "open" solution, allowing for more options?

Hi Phil,

No,

The difference is between the two versions is two bulkheads(you can order with Nikonos V bulkheads or Olympus type bulkheads )and two fiber optic ports or only two fiber optic ports.

Yoko

Hi Phil,

No,

The difference is between the two versions is two bulkheads(you can order with Nikonos V bulkheads or Olympus type bulkheads )and two fiber optic ports or only two fiber optic ports.

Yoko

And the plot thickens...

Do I dare to go with fiber optics only?

Who knew this was so complicated...

The housing is available in 4 models:

1. Type 1 OLM : 2 Optical Connectors Only, New M6 Mount with Olympus Port converter.

2. Type 2 OLM : 2 Optical Connectors, 2 Sync Connectors, New M6 Mount with Olympus Port converter.

3. Type 1 : 2 Optical Connectors Only, New M6 Mount.

4. Type 2 : 2 Optical Connectors, 2 Sync Connectors, New M6 Mount.

The sync connectors can ordered in either the Nikonos or Olympus variants.

If you want to use Nexus M5 (Master) ports, you'll need an M6-M5 converter.

I've done a lot of diving with Seatool & Zillion housings lately, using Inon Z-240 for macro shooting, and Sea & Sea YS-250 for wide angle. These housings fire strobes optically, and I've had nothing but good experiences.

Who knew this was so complicated...

The housing is available in 4 models:

1. Type 1 OLM : 2 Optical Connectors Only, New M6 Mount with Olympus Port converter.

2. Type 2 OLM : 2 Optical Connectors, 2 Sync Connectors, New M6 Mount with Olympus Port converter.

3. Type 1 : 2 Optical Connectors Only, New M6 Mount.

4. Type 2 : 2 Optical Connectors, 2 Sync Connectors, New M6 Mount.

The sync connectors can ordered in either the Nikonos or Olympus variants.

If you want to use Nexus M5 (Master) ports, you'll need an M6-M5 converter.

That's right :)

Thanks!

Yoko

Thanks!

I think I will go for the Nexus housing with Oly ports and (initially) two Oly strobes. It's entry level and ony 40 meters, but seems sufficient to begin with. If I want to upgrade I can then go with Inon.

Regarding the PT-E03 and the Olympus flash is anybody concerned with a housing and flash that is only 40m? I loaned a sea and sea unit when my film housing was being rebuilt a few years and dived to 42m (didnt realise it had a limit less than 60m) and flooded the flash. Now I dont get down to 40+ too often but I do go there in clean water. I assume this rules this unit out for me? :)

What is the Olympus 14-42mm lens like for macro photo's?

regards

Ardy

DPReview review was posted today:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse3/page34.asp

Good and bad news:

The E-3 is then a camera that produces fantastic results as long as you stay within its comfort zone. Thanks to the limitations of its sensor, if you push the envelope at all (trying to capture too much dynamic range, pushing the sensitivity in low light, trying to eke the finest detail out of a scene) it starts to under-perform compared to the best of its competitors. If your photography regularly takes place at the point where all cameras start to demand compromises, pushing hard against the edge of acceptable performance, the E-3 is not the camera I would recommend.

Ironically the exact opposite is true when shooting in extreme environmental conditions, where the E-3's superior weatherproofing puts it in a different class altogether to any camera in this price bracket. If you want to shoot in dirty, damp or humid conditions the E-3 should be high on your shortlist.

Alex

Sponsors

Advertisements