I was diving with a Sony HC3 video camera inside a Ikelite housing and after about 30 min underwater condensation formed on lens surface making it impossible to continue shooting. I made sure to submerge the camera in water well before the dive to equalize water and air temp but that did not work. Found out after removing the camera from the housing that the heat generated from the camera increased the temp inside the housing causing it to condense inside. Does anyone have a solution for this problem. I was diving in 78 deg water. Did not seem to have the problem a year earlier with slightly colder water. Anybody have any similar problems and or solutions?

Make sure you seal the camera inside the housing in a dry location. I had this happen only once to me and that was when my red filter popped out of its holder on a bumpy RIB ride out in the Cocos Island. So I had to open the housing to pop in the red filter in the RIB. Air was pretty warm and humid but water was cool (perfect recipe for condensation... :ninja:).

As the Ike is an all poly housing, maybe get one of those dry silica packs to slip inside.

Edited by pakman

I am using a "tea bag"... it may help you to prevent it.

it also helped me when the housing had a small lick, the tea bag absorbed the water...

cheers

Thanks for the info. Never even thought that it might be the warm air I trapped in the case before I closed it as it was humid outside. Also have not heard about the tea bag thing.

Sponsors

Advertisements