Sign in to follow this  
ruaned

Questions for a Canon S50

Hi

I have a canon s50 and am looking at buying a housing for it for diving in mayalasia this summer. Does anyone have any experience with this ?

Also, will just the housing be enough or do I need some other kind of lighting source ? And if so how much will that set me back ?

thanks

Declan

Hi The cheapest choice is the WP-DC 300 Sold by Canon, It is araund 200 Euros here in Germany.

Especially for a beginner it is a good housing (I use it too) The only drawback is that you can't use the Manualk Mode or the Menu (changing ISO and such stuff) UW beause you can trigger the Navigation button only left and right but not up and down. You also have to use auto power off because you can't poer the S-Series cameras up and down by hand inside the housing.

I can live with this limitations.

For a light source: You can use it without a additional light source, but you have to go very close to the subject to get good results. Better is to use a Ikelite DS50 or DS125 with an TTL sensor.

Here you find more tips for shooting UW with a Canon S-Type Camera

Simon

Before i forget it: Here you find a tip how to use The Adobe PS RAW Converter Plug In with the S50. It is at the moment the only possibility know to me to do decent Raw Conversions for S50 RAW Files.

Bye Simon

Hi,

I use the Canon S40 with housing and no external flash (could not decide yet...).

The handling is very easy and you get some decent pictures out of it.

The most important settings IMHO are the MACRO button and the manuel flash control. I prefer slightly underexposed pictutres over overexposed ones. This is easier to correct in PS. I usally shoot in the P mode with flash -0.5 to -1.5. The only downtime I see with the Canon S-Series is the very limited macro possibilities... You can´t get near enough for the real interesting stuff.

If you like to take al ook at some pictures (internal flash) check out my website:

http://www.aquamaniacs.de/html/____tauchen.html

You have to select the different journey-topics to get to the pictures.

Take care

Chris

Just back from Egypt. Here is a picture I took with the S40/WP-DC 300 using an external strobe ES-150 synchronised with a fiber-optic cable.

I just decoded the RAW file and ... no adjustment. I think it's a good example of what you can expect from the ES-150 (which cost about Eur 200 btw)

EXIF infos:

File: CRW_4212.CRW

File size: 3254KB

Image Serial Number: 142-4212

Camera Model: Canon PowerShot S40

Firmware: Firmware Version 1.10

Date/Time: 2003.04.19 09:18:50

Shutter speed: 1/250 sec

Aperture: 4,9

Exposure mode: Tv

Flash: Built-in

Flash EF guide number: 6,94

Metering mode: Evaluative

Drive mode: Single frame shooting

ISO: 100

Lens: 7,0 to 21,0 mm

Focal length: 21,0 mm

Subject distance: 0,49 m

Macro focus: On

AF mode: Single AF

Focus point:

Image size: 2272 x 1704

Orientation: 1

Image quality: Raw

White balance: Flash

Saturation: Normal

Sharpness: Normal

Contrast: High

Simon K.

FYI, I have an S30 with the Canon case.

You can access all the up/down menu commands while the camera is in the case.

Just hold down the manual focus button in a menu and use the right and left navigator buttons to move up and down.

I've often changed the ISO setting underwater using this method.

I believe there is also a method for turning off the S45/S50 models while they are in the case instead of waiting for the auto shutoff.

Hope it helps.

Allen

While on the topic of S50 -- has anybody used a

wide-angle lens (e.g., Inon UWL-100) on a Canon's

WP-DC300 housing with Canon S30-S50? I wonder if

there is vignetting at the widest zoom

position. Can't find it mentioned anywhere.

Thanks

mmm

Nice shot of the Epoque ES150 setup. I like the low profile. Is that an Epoque tray as well?

Can someone post a shot of the Ikelite DS50 or DS125 setup with the Cannon WPDC300 housing?

Gordh:

The Photos on your homepage are looking different

(in terms of lightning) to the one you posted (very nice btw!).

I wonder if all of these were taken with the Epoque flash?

Best regards

Christian

Hi,

The tray I use is from Fish Eye (www.fisheye-jp.com)

The pictures you're talking about were taken during the trip I did in February. The set up was the one shown on the pic previously posted but without the fiber-optic cable (reacting on the build-in flash)

I just updated my site with a selection of pics taken last week. The strobe was synchronised with the fiber-optic cable and it does change A LOT ...

www.gordhdmn.easynet.be

While on the topic of S50 -- has anybody used a

wide-angle lens (e.g., Inon UWL-100) on a Canon's

WP-DC300 housing with Canon S30-S50? I wonder if

there is vignetting at the widest zoom

position. Can't find it mentioned anywhere.

MMM:

I would also be interested in this info. I plan to buy the Macro and The WA lens before my next divetrip. If nobody els has posted his experience I'll do then.

Bye Simon

You can access all the up/down menu commands while the camera is in the case.

Just hold down the manual focus button in a menu and use the right and left navigator buttons to move up and down.

I've often changed the ISO setting underwater using this method.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try this out when I'm at home tonight.

I believe there is also a method for turning off the S45/S50 models while they are in the case instead of waiting for the auto shutoff.

I wilkl have a look at ht manual again tonight, but i don't think there was anything in it. If it is a "hidden" feature i would be very greatful to get this information from someone.

Simon

Can someone post a shot of the Ikelite DS50 or DS125 setup with the Cannon WPDC300 housing?

I'll take a photo tonight and post it. (S50 with DS125 and TTL Sensor)

Bye Simon

Especially for a beginner it is a good housing (I use it too) The only drawback is that you can't use the Manualk Mode or the Menu (changing ISO and such stuff) UW beause you can trigger the Navigation button only left and right but not up and down. You also have to use auto power off because you can't poer the S-Series cameras up and down by hand inside the housing.

The using of the manual focus is good to navigate in the menus only. You cannot use it in other situations, e.g. in manual mode you cannot change the shutter speed since it controlled by the up/down options.

(It can be solved by moving to Tv option set the shutter speed and then return to manual)

Here is a shot taken with the Sea&Sea YS 25

983124.jpg

The using of the manual focus is good to navigate in the menus only. You cannot use it in other situations, e.g. in manual mode you cannot change the shutter speed since it controlled by the up/down options.

(It can be solved by moving to Tv option set the shutter speed and then return to manual)

Thanks for the clarification and the good tip.

Hey all you S-Series shooter what setting (P, Tv, Av, M) do you use UW?

Simon

Hi Liz:

here a few snapshots i did of the S50 DS125/TTL Sensor Setup with my D60 last night. Please excuse the crappy quality and the flash reflections, but i was to lazy to setup the tripod and proper lighting.

First the Front: Please note the Slide taped over the Internal Flash to prevent backscatter (works great)

Not correct. You can control everything just like without using the waterproof case but only valid for S45/S50. You cannot change the APERTURE in Manual mode with waterproof case if the model is S40S30.

Refer to this URL:http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/PSS50/PSS50_3000-e.html for details.

Daniel

Thanks Daniel! Great Info!

For those of you who are to lazy to try the link, here the list:

Without the waterproof case                                  With the Waterproof Case    

Turning off the power                                             Hold the +-/WB/Func button for more than 5 seconds 
                                                                              (Press the shutter button halfway when turning on 
                                                                              the camera for the second time)    

Selecting menus using the  Menu button               Press  < or >  on the multicontroller while
or the// button                                                       holding the MF button

Changing the aperture value in manual mode       Press  < or >  on the multicontroller while holding the 
                                                                              Metering selection button

Simon

QUOTE (alto @ Apr 28 2003, 04:14 PM)

Not correct. You can control everything just like without using the waterproof case but only valid for S45/S50. You cannot change the APERTURE in Manual mode with waterproof case if the model is S40S30.

It is correct of course, to change in the S30/40 the F number: move to Av, set the F number & then return to manual mode.

Thanks Simon. Looks a little intimidating to me. Well, my trip is 2 weeks away and I still haven't made a decision (got distracted with my other hobby - sailing). I may be going strobless.

Has anyone else had any issues with condensation build-up with this setup? In cold water, I have 20-30 minutes before my case is entirely fogged up.

Also, can someone recommend a good site to get a good deal on the Epoque strobe so folks mentioned earlier?

Many thanks,

Dave

Hi,

Yes the Fogging is a common Problem. Here some Tips:

1) Use Anti fogging liquid (One Drop, Polish with lens cleaning paper) bevore every Dive or at least every Day.

2) Put one or two packs Silicia Gel into the housing

3) Close the housing at a dry place

Simon

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements