MikeVeitch

How to Improve WP

Personally, I like it when people post images inlined or attached to the forum post. An anecdote about the shot -- what it took to get it, why the poster thinks it's interesting, etc. helps to get people interested as well.

Thanks Eric! I'll post a new request and try again

Steve

Drew, you have far too much time on your hands.

Drew, you have far too much time on your hands.

LOL. No it was just that Loftus mentioned the sensivity issue and in an amazing stroke of luck I found that press release from today. :D

It is actually kind of funny but right now actually jammed up on time and that is when I usually find the extra time.

I think one of the most important things is to feel welcomed. A new poster to wetpixel does not like to feel ignored. One of the things my friend mentioned to me, although not stressed in her post here, is that she posted a photo for critique. Apparently no one replied to her request so she was somewhat put off by wetpixel.

Totally agree with this. I remember posting some photos last year and not getting any feedback/replies on them. While it didn't put me off too much, I could see how it could. The majority of my posts are in the Consumer/Digicams area, because I feel like I can contribute there, and the majority of my questions relate to there, but I'm yet to put other photos up to be critiqued.

On the other hand, like a lot of others on here, I'm just happy to read what those with more experience have to talk about.

And I know it's been said before, but the site does run very slowly from this part of the world.

Edited by aussie

How about feed back from a brand new poster?

As many of you know, I've been posting on other dive photo boards for years. It is interesting that several have suggested help topics and such. As I recall, the thing that kept me away from wetpixel when I was the huge selection of different forums overwhelmed me. The other dive photo board I was using seemed much simpler and at the time there was plenty of feed back to keep me busy.

I peek at Wetpixel on rare occasion. I don't know why I have not posted until now. Some how I just never felt motivated to post. Perhaps it was related to my infrequent viewing. By the time I read a post any thing I might have said had already been said so no need.

So, why do I post now? Probably because no one has mentioned being overwhelmed by the size of the board yet. I should say that now, as a more experienced UW photographer, the size does not seem so overwhelming, probably because I have a better clue what I have interest in now so can sort things out better.

we also split it up last year to make it not so overwhelming and group similar things together so i hope

that helps too :blush:

we also split it up last year to make it not so overwhelming and group similar things together so i hope

that helps too :)

Thanks Mike, it does look less "busy" than I remember, perhaps that is why.

Just to bring this thread up again.

Is there anywhere on site one can find out the voting for POTW for all shots not just winners? I would like to know how voting is counted and even if I got one vote I would be pleased. I have not yet been placed which is not surprising cos I haven't seen one by me I wanted to vote for. If it's all by automatic counting it should be possible to display votes at least for a short time after voting closes.

Tim Digger

I think that is a top idea.

I havent entered any competitions recently .. but in an online fun competition it could really help users to judge their own images by public appeal.

I think each user should be able to see the info for their own images, not all images, and the info should if possible be like .. No. of Views, No. of Votes, Percentage of Votes, avg position of votes .. of course that all gets complicated as we have 1st 2nd 3rd ... some way to portray to the poster .. how was this image recieved . in a numerical sense. then if the user wants more feed back they can maybe click a link by the image to start a critique thread about it to get written feedback from users.

but in an online fun competition it could really help users to judge their own images by public appeal.

This was my thought exactly Giles, even quite simply done it would be informative, total number of votes cast how many did mine get, , possibly how many the top three got.

But can anyone tell me how votes are counted, I presume 3 for 1st 2 for 2nd etc. Am I right.

Tim Digger

While we think about implementing this, you may or may not have noticed that on the completion of a POTW, the entries are sorted and displayed in order of highest to lowest point totals.

That is, it lists 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, etc placings. At the very least, you can figure out your relative score :D.

While we think about implementing this, you may or may not have noticed that on the completion of a POTW, the entries are sorted and displayed in order of highest to lowest point totals.

That is, it lists 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, etc placings. At the very least, you can figure out your relative score :D.

Thanks indeed. I had noticed the first three but had not realised the rest had been ranked, alas I shall be pleased to be half way up one day.

Tim Digger

I think something simple would be to add information about the photos being submitted in picture of the week - A, SS, ISO, strobes, etc.

Sometimes I see a shot and am curious of the exposure settings for the photo - but no can.

Bryce

I must agree with Bryce.

Not all of us get the opportunity to shoot hundreds of UW photos each year. Certainly it is better now than when I started with 1 roll of 36 exposures (maybe even got them developed same day).

However, many of the high-end photo mags ALWAYS include the camera, film, lens and exposure info with each photo. This type of info is invaluable to the newbie like me.

I am intimidated by these long threads that I don't have time to read and I worry I'm going to say something stupid because I didn't read everything. OK...not really!

I've met quite a few people on dive trips that talk about things they've read on Wetpixel, but they have never posted anything. I guess its like walking into a room full of strangers. Its much easier for newbies when you've already met someone face-to-face. So I think we need to have more Wetpixel parties.

There are some people on Wetpixel that I have never met, yet feel like I know them just from corresponding with them here. But even for me its easier if I know who I'm talking to. It really helps if other members have information about themselves in their profile and maybe even a picture of them self. A link to their website is also really nice so I can check them out and see if they really are as good as they say they are. I'm saying that tongue-in-cheek, but you know what I mean.

The quality level of the photography here is also very high, which could be intimidating for the beginner. Its a good thing I'm a pro, because I sure wouldn't want to compete in your photo contest. There's just way too much good stuff there. I'd never win! It might be pretty tough for someone just getting into underwater photography to compete. Maybe a beginners category for people with less shooting experience.

All forum websites have their good guys, bad guys, know-it-alls, leaders, followers, instigators, and enablers. Anything put in writing can come across much more harsh than if it had been said verbally. Most the members here on Wetpixel do a good job of commenting and giving feedback without sugar-coating or being totally critical. But I agree with what other people already said. Nobody likes to be ignored.

I do hope that Wetpixel never gets to be like some of the other scuba boards. I know that I can always come here to get real-world answers to questions, get real recommendations from real divers without all the fluff and idle chit-chat from suspicious unidentified posters who have multiple personalities.

The very idea of starting this thread in the first place just goes to show what a class act Wetpixel is.

Sponsors

Advertisements