Sign in to follow this  
jeremypayne

DSLR Advice

I'm gonna buy a DSLR this year ... in the good old film days, I was a big fan of olympus - had an OM4T and an OM2S and loved them.

Here's what I am considering:

>>> Olympus E-3

>>> Canon 40D

>>> Nikon D300

>>> Possibly the Canon 450D

I'm hoping to get some differentiating input on these choices - specifically with respect to ultimately taking the camera underwater. I'm pretty familiar with the technical specs and the differences.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by jeremypayne

Hi Jeremy.

Any of these cameras would be fine.

You would be best to look at what housings and ports are available for these cameras and buy the camera that fits the housing with the features you like.

Having said that, there are heaps of used lenses and accessories for both Canon & Nikon.

There are a lot of advantages in having a common camera if anything goes wrong!

Hope this helps.

Mark

Hi Jeremy.

Any of these cameras would be fine.

You would be best to look at what housings and ports are available for these cameras and buy the camera that fits the housing with the features you like.

Having said that, there are heaps of used lenses and accessories for both Canon & Nikon.

There are a lot of advantages in having a common camera if anything goes wrong!

Hope this helps.

Mark

Thanks ... I guess the question is quite broad and they are all really nice cameras - that's why they are on my list! Given the dominance of the Canon/Nikon folks in the world and the plethora of accessories, opinions and what not for them, I guess I was really asking if there were any Olympus users out there who want to speak to using an E-3 as part of an underwater setup. Is there a predominantly popular housing for the E-3? Anyone have an online gallery of hirez underwater shots done with an E-3?

I have a pile of old OM-mount lenses so I really want to give the E-3 a good look before I dive into a Canon or Nikon package.

I have a pile of old OM-mount lenses so I really want to give the E-3 a good look before I dive into a Canon or Nikon package.

I honestly think the lack of support from housing manufacturers for the E3 makes them not worth the effort - choose a camera that is well supported and have fun , instead of trying to reinvent the wheel and have heartache and compromise.

My 2 cents.

Hi Jeremy,

At this time three housing are going to be offered for the Olympus E-3, one from Ikelite, one from Nexus and one from UK-Germany. They will be in a range of prices from about $1300.00 to $3000.00. The Nexus and UK housings can be used with their ports or with the 13 different ports now available for the Olympus DSLR housing. The lens set from Olympus, the 7 to14, 8 fisheye and 50 macro plus tele converters are some of the best choices for U/W photography around. The E-3 image quality is superb and the camera is quite fast.

The Nikon D-300 is also a great choice if you want more housings to chose from.

Sometimes taking the road less traveled can be a good thing.

Phil Rudin

i agree that support is a primary consideration -- Canon or Nikon

if your primary interest is underwater, then Nikon is the choice now that the D300 has sensor technology to rival Canon - in general, i'd rate Canon better on the long end, and Nikon better wide

(i'm a Canon user)

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements