jgunther

Back from Belize

Just returned from a dive trip to Belize. Although 2 storms came through when we were there and the water was pretty churned up, diving was good below 30 feet. Boat rides out to the dive sites were almost as much fun as diving itself. As this is my second photo dive trip, and after reading hundreds of posts by the photogs on this site and looking at their great pictures, it has been a great help for me and would like to hear some comments on mine as well. Finding out how extremely difficult it can be to get that great shot and the patience required.

Practice and reading other posts are invaluable.post-8249-1201483720_thumb.jpg post-8249-1201483752_thumb.jpg

Amy trying to figure out how to link instead of posts. Images taken with Nikon d80 and 2 DS125 Strobes in a 8" ikelite dome and housing.post-8249-1201484628_thumb.jpg post-8249-1201484647_thumb.jpg

Hi,

From looking at the thumbnails (slow connection) i don't really see a lot wrong with teh images you've posted, you've not cropped any fins off the subject and the exposures seem fairly accurate.

Composition wise, is again fine! One could argue that a different angle on the shark or soldierfish might have worked better, but i suspect that was out of your control and from the angle you were at i like the shots.

I suspect that these are your 'bests' though (as they should be) are there any shots that you attempted and didn't quite work out? Say a subject that you like that is technically ok but doesn't have that wow factor?

Great Photos, especially for your second trip! Congratulations.

** to link images grab the image url from flickr or wherever (right click the image and get the url from properties) and then add to the post by clicking the little picture icon above the text input box.

I agree with the above comments, great for your second trip. Just to be picky, I will add a few comments. I think the fish shots would be more interesting with a little tighter crop - I'm not sure what lens you're using, so if you could have got in a little closer it would have more 'personality' in my opinion. On the shark shot, possibly a little less exposure for the ambient light and more strobe to put some light on the reef, would improve the overall contrast of the image.

I agree with the above comments, great for your second trip. Just to be picky, I will add a few comments. I think the fish shots would be more interesting with a little tighter crop - I'm not sure what lens you're using, so if you could have got in a little closer it would have more 'personality' in my opinion. On the shark shot, possibly a little less exposure for the ambient light and more strobe to put some light on the reef, would improve the overall contrast of the image.

Hi,

I'll just speak about the color of the 2 firsts.

What is not good to me in the first one is the highlights on the fish are grey.

maybe did you have burned veins, but I think you killed the higlights too much on it.

I also think, looking at shadows, that your left strobe was closer then the right strobe. this can be good for some kind of photo, but here it probably explain why did you burn the white veins of the fish.

about the nurse, the only thing I can notice is the blue and green. noisy separation of the different kind of blue (maybe don't you use the right way to change it in post production, mail me if you want some advice). the sunrays looks also green/teal to me, maybe can you give it back white?

anyway these are great, I hope to see more :)

Edited by Autopsea

Hi,

I'll just speak about the color of the 2 firsts.

What is not good to me in the first one is the highlights on the fish are grey.

maybe did you have burned veins, but I think you killed the higlights too much on it.

I also think, looking at shadows, that your left strobe was closer then the right strobe. this can be good for some kind of photo, but here it probably explain why did you burn the white veins of the fish.

about the nurse, the only thing I can notice is the blue and green. noisy separation of the different kind of blue (maybe don't you use the right way to change it in post production, mail me if you want some advice). the sunrays looks also green/teal to me, maybe can you give it back white?

anyway these are great, I hope to see more :)

Thanks for the comments. I never noticed the incorrect highlights of the fish. It was at night and he seemed to come out of nowhere. Not much time to adjust the flashes. The only post production was to enhance the saturation and contrast. Will compare the image posted to the original and see if post processing was incorrect. You are correct with the blue transitions in the shark image and I am getting that uneven transition of the blue in a lot of photographs when I convert to jpeg from raw. Fixing that would solve a lot of problems in other images as well. Again thanks for the response. I would like to post more and although I look at the work of other more exp. divers and try to incorporate their advice, it is very helpfull to have your own work looked at.

On my screen your shots look over saturated but that is just personal preference. Question, what are your RAW settings?

Tom

On my screen your shots look over saturated but that is just personal preference. Question, what are your RAW settings?

Tom

It is basically set to normal with no added sharpening and color enhancement. I didn't like the color balance so I changed them a well as added saturation for printing.

Sponsors

Advertisements