This camera might bear watching. A DSLR sized sensor in a compact digital camera. It will be interesting to see what it's other specifications are and how it performs. It would have the potential for much better high ISO performance than we can get with the little sensors we are stuck with now (without having to go to a SLR).

4/3 size sensor and 28 mm lens (equiv.) A very compact aluminum housing with a wide angle converter lens and this might be nice.

As it is not an SLR will need to know the shutter lag and AF speed.

It uses contrast detection AF. It's minimum focus distance is 30 cm. Didn't the magnification you get with that. May also need a add on macro lens.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08013108sigmadp1.asp

Any idea who might make a housing for this camera?

Subal and Aquatics made housings for the Nikon CP 5000. A camera with some drawbacks for UW usage. Also their two companies that list a housing for the Panason LX2. A camera I love, but doubt that would do well UW.

Makes me think if this camera performs as well as a dSLR their could be a market for a nice compact housing. I once e-mailed Ike and asked about a camera model. He said if they get enough requests they will make a housing.

I get tired of hauling around heavy gear all the time. If this camera performed as well as, and had the IQ of a dSLR I would give it a serious look.

Foveon sensors don't have a reputation for good high ISO (though perhaps better than digicams). The true resolution is 4.5MP and the non-zoom lens isn't very desirable for underwater. Existing wetmount wide angle adapters are likely to be a problem due to the 28mm effective lens and larger than expected image circle. Existing wetmount macro lenses won't help at 28mm either. It's interesting for what it's made for but using it underwater is an uphill battle I think.

Any idea who might make a housing for this camera?

Patima makes a housing for the Sigma DP1.

In addition, I think the camera may be available now. I saw one at my local retailer. Not cheap...

Cheers

James

In addition, I think the camera may be available now. I saw one at my local retailer. Not cheap...

Cheers

James

I handled the camera last weekend. It was slow...

Also the largest aperture is f/4, and I believe the sensitivity is limited to ISO800.

Some places have it listed at $799 (Amazon).

From the samples I've seen from the dp1 site, f4 has CA but once you get the f7 and up it's actually quite decent. I was hoping it'd be a cheaper P&S version of the Leica M8. I'll just wait for one of my P&S to die before I consider it.

I read a review that suggested the camera had a long shutter lag and poor low light performance.

Might want to wait for the mark II.

Sponsors

Advertisements