timrock

Bali Customs at it AGAIN!

There isn't anything written down. That's the problem. If it was, everyone would know where they stand and what to expect.

It actually written down. I had one of these forms a while back, I'll try to get my staff to get more info as I'm away travelling all over the place right now!

I really want to see something change with this, so I'll find out all I can as soon as I can...

Hi Graham,

Well, good luck with it. It would be enlightening considering no Bali dive operator I have talked to seems to have seen the actual law or form. Many are unaware of any restrictions while a few say they've heard about a form and some vague law but have never actually seen the law or the form. To my knowledge, the people who actually have to deal with divers have never been approached in writing by the government about equipment restrictions and tariffs for their guests.

By the way, this is probably a new thread, but look at this:

http://www.indonesiancoral.com/about.html

It came in my spam!

Enjoy your travels and hope to catch up with you in Bali later in the year.

Best,

Timbo

The world is a big place. No need for me to go to Bali. The culture of paying everybody wearing a uniform a little extortion fee would drive me crazy. They should sell standardized extortion tickets. :P

I'll spend my hard earned money elsewhere.

Agreed that the world is a big place and there exists many a dive destination. However, if the community allows it to happen in one place it could certainly fester into other places and cause broader extortion issues. I still think it's a good idea to pursue things like this for the preservation of camera-related travel.

Joe

Imagine my surprise to be confronted with the very self-same customs agent Tim mentioned at the beginning of this thread upon my arrival in Denpasar yesterday. My wife and me with our two large Storm cases, two overfilled dive bags and four carry-ons. Taking a deep breath we stepped forward anticipating the inquisition to follow. Goods news though; after all of the anticipation this thread genertion; the agent looked at us and our cases of camera gear - decorated with the dreaded white (and red) chalk "X's" mentioned earalier - and asked, "What is in the boxes"? To which I so wisely replyed, "Scaba gear for our dive holiday". His response was simply, "Go ahead"! Imagine my surprise and relief!!

Thanks guys for the heads up.

Allan Vandeford

In my business travel, I had been to a few cities and towns across Indoneisa. Custom's greed and abuse are all in a day work. One of the

things (of course the foolproof one is just pay) that had worked for me when they get too unreasonable was to raise the voice so it is audible to all around you, not forgetting to mention the name of the guy who is giving trouble. Caution: use with discretion.

Hi Allan,

Good to hear a happy ending. Perhaps there were no ceremonies that weekend. Sorry to hear he's still on the front lines.

------

Voice raising: I have also tried the voice thing mostly with success. It does have to be done properly, like you're exclaiming surprise at the suggestion of a tax. I think it depends on which supervisors are around how quickly they demure or decide to take you in a room.

-------

Best,

Tim of the Deep

I have also used the : "I'm sorry that is not my interpretation of the rules."

Ether let me in, or put it in writing and deny me entry into the country.

Edited by hoovermd

I have also used the : "I'm sorry that is not my interpretation of the rules."

Ether let me in, or put it in writing and deny me entry into the country.

I am leaving to go to Bali on Aug 5, arriving in Denpasar on the 7th, diving with Mermaid divers, and they nevered heard of this when we emailed this link about Customs

We'll see what happens, I am carryong 2 - Nikon D200, 1 D300, a bunch of lenses, L+M housing, strobes, etc, Sony HDR-HC9 camcorder, Gates housing, Niterider Pro40 lights, plus dive gear. I hope I don't get this guy at Customs.

Plus my friend is bring a D300, lenses, L+M Bluefin and the Sunray 2000 lights, and HDR-HC9.

But we are a group of 14.

I travelled through Manado airport a couple of days ago, after reading this discussion I decided to fully declare all my items (2xcamera, 3xstrobes, 1xlaptop).

The customs official asked if they were for my personal use (I answered yes) and then he waved me through with a smile.

So, maybe forget Bali and travel to Manado instead - or travel through Manado to Bali!

Sorry been away for a while and have just come across this thread. Not so long ago there was a telephone number tourists could ring at Police Head Quarters for such instances, especially the traffic fleeces, happened to me, made the call and the officer at the other end asked to speak with the traffic cop, after a few seconds no more problems.

I'll do my best to dig the number and get it posted. Be interesting if it still works.

Peter

We have booked a trip with Peter Hughes to Raja Ampat, via Bali, and they claimed it was news to them also. But they are concerned and spoke with the VP of the Company and they are working with their agents on the ground in Bali to get more info. They claim there is an Express Service you can pay $65 per person and they (Bali Customs?) will expedite you thru.

Edited by NWDiver

Dwi, my partner has very recently been down to see the immigration guys and we have two options. I've asked her if she can ask a few other specific questions, once I get these questions answered I will post the news.

One of them was to pay an amount of money but this was only for a small amount of gear!

I reckon this must be a very random selection of individuals, on an individual basis. I have just collected my complete RED One system from the U.S and walked into Bali through customs. The bag had the regular white chalked X on it, they inspected it, asked me a few questions and let me go through. No worries. Russian roulette with camera gear.

Hope other people don't get too many more issues on this.

Cheers,

Mark.

I reckon this must be a very random selection of individuals, on an individual basis. I have just collected my complete RED One system from the U.S and walked into Bali through customs. The bag had the regular white chalked X on it, they inspected it, asked me a few questions and let me go through. No worries. Russian roulette with camera gear.

Hope other people don't get too many more issues on this.

Cheers,

Mark.

The white chalk "X" frequency makes you wonder if they do it to every 3rd or 4th bag removed from the plane as a routine, or if they actually do some sort of screening other than "that bag is heavy, it must have something good inside".

I guess my saving grace to an extent is the fact that the RED doesn't actually look anything like a camera that they can recognize, thanks to Jim Jannard.

Cheers,

Mark.

My check in bag that was "X"ed contained no camera equipment. It had my dive gear in it. My carryon Porter case had my camera equipment in it. Seems to have no rhyme or reason to it.

Hi Guys,

Well since Continental just cancelled Bali flights in September from Guam, I am wondering if I can even get there from here.

But Drew mentioned he was going to meet with tourism officlas on this subject I don't see the post on that meeting. Did anything ever come of it?

Graham, did they actually supply a law to go with their entry alternatives? I still think this is a rather nebulous thing.

Best,

Timbo

Edited by timrock

Tim

I met with the ambassador's aide for Singapore briefly with a print out of this thread and my own complaint letters. She said she'd look into it.

The funny thing is I flew in just a few days ago and there was this Singaporean with a passport that wasn't valid for the minimum 6 mths. Usually this means a "tip" of $100-200, depending on where you're from and how much the ticket of flying back is worth. This immigration guy actually hesitated to bring him to the backroom.

Seems they are not as active as when Tim first ran into them. I had several 1TB drives in my luggage and it wasn't flagged.

Just to add an update - have recently returned from Bali - many photographers on the trip - no issue with customs and some of they guys had a lot of gear... :(

I think they are now going after alcohol. On my flight coming in (I had 2 housings and 3 cameras), the Xs were on many bags, all containing alcohol. Finally the crackdown is on something else. :D

I'm off there in a few weeks and am seriously considering whether to test the system with my Pelikan or go the Samsonite route....what do you reckon..vote on it and I'll be the guinea pig! Not sure if my residency in a fellow muslim country will help :rolleyes:

Steve

It's headed to peak season now so if you don't have alcohol, you should be good. I hear things are happening in JKT as well which will make things easier.

It's headed to peak season now so if you don't have alcohol, you should be good. I hear things are happening in JKT as well which will make things easier.

Cool - thanks Drew. Btw was hoping to try and meet up with Graham Abbott while I was in Bali (my sister and his are good friends from the UK) - how far is his dive operation from Katu? Have messaged Graham but he may be travelling or out with clients on a liveaboard somewhere I guess.

Steve

Sponsors

Advertisements