Sign in to follow this  
woody

Article from Diver Mag

just a couple of DTTL trials. First one pool test:

dttl.jpg

Shot from the same distance just changing aperture - DTTL works to produce correct exposure over 7 stops

And even when the fishy is swimming (and not made of plastic) it still works:

soldier.jpg

Dunno much about Canons but it can't be that tough to house a Canon land flash that will TTL with Canon Digitals?

Alex

Ha ha ha. Not smiling so much with that thing sucking on your forehead, eh?

I have never tried housing a 550EX, so I cannot comment on them other than I am not sure it is powerful/wide enough.

I believe Eric has, so he could probably coment better than me.

Trust me guys, I am not knocking digi underwater, ......just relaying how I feel about it on a personal, for my use only basis at the moment. I have seen a lot of the shots you all are taking and am totally impressed.....

I will get there, someday :D

Bob -

I think I speak for all of us diginuts in saying that your comments are totally reasonable. We all realize, perhaps even better than our film brethren, the drawbacks of digital.

I still find it amazing that only Fuji has figured out (or chosen to utilize) how to manage TTL strobes.

Kasey

Bob -

I think I speak for all of us diginuts in saying that your comments are totally reasonable.  We all realize, perhaps even better than our film brethren, the drawbacks of digital.

I still find it amazing that only Fuji has figured out (or chosen to utilize) how to manage TTL strobes.

Kasey

...and Fuji is also trying to improve dynamic range. I second the rest.

Thanks Kasey,

I thnk in canon's case the problems is compounded by the fact the the Canon digital cameras do not offer TTL as an option, only ETTL.

Which I often think is an acronym for "Encrypted Thru The Lens" flash system that no one will ever figure out without paying a $50,000.000 royalty to our company." :D

Does Nikon's DTTL stand for Dodgy TTL?

I have to say that when I first went digital I was very worried about the lack of TTL. I have shot and continue to shoot every flash lit picture I do on 35mm with TTL. My medium format Hasselblad is completely manual and I use manual flash with that, but I would use TTL if I could.

So I hope that demostrates my TTL-phyllic tendencies!

For digital I use DTTL (which is fine) for macro lenses and 28-70mm. I would struggle to get one chance behaviour shots without it. But housed land guns will not cover wide angle.

So when I started with digital I was very concerned about not having TTL for wide angle. But now having used manual for wide angle with a digital camera I prefer it - and I really never expected I'd say that. I still shoot TTL wide angle on film - without exception. But digital has instant image review and you can quickly get exposures correct - and once correct since you shoot most subjects from the same distance they only need minor (if any) fine tuning between subjects.

Manual flash with two guns (with variable power settings) lets me get really even light on wide angle subjects. My guns are often set at 2 stops different power levels for the best result - a result a pair of guns on TTL cannot achieve (because they will give out the same amount of light). I'd also add that even if someone came up with an instant fix for my D100 to allow me to shoot TTL wide angle, I'd stick with manual.

Bob, I would really recommend trying digital wide angle with manual guns. Even in the pool. It shocked me and if you read through the Wetpixel site, many 35mm shooters have been shocked by the fact they prefer manual guns for wide angle.

The main problem for digital wide angle is that there are no lenses wide enough. The Fisheye is a lovely lens on digital, but until there is a full frame UW digital or a DX fisheye, the lack of a 180? lens is digital's main short coming for wide angle. And a major reason I did more dives with my F100 (35mm Nikon) than with my D100 (digital) on my last trip (but before I'm disowned by Wetpixel I downloaded more shots from the digital)!

Alex java script:emoticon(':)')

If ya got about 25K you could buy and house a 1ds....... :D

Although it seems to have its own problems underwater based on what I have read it these forums.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements