Sign in to follow this  
Tomi

Buoyancy of DSLR camera and housings

Greetings,

I have used a compact digital camera underwater for about three years now, Olympus c5000 with a Sea & Sea YS25 strobe.

I have decided to upgrade to a DSLR rig. My new set up is a Nikon D80 with an Ikelite housing and DS125 strobe. Last night I set it up for the first time and boy it seems really heavy to me. I should get some negative buoyancy from the housing but how light will the rig really feel under water? Does anybody have a any experience with this? Perhaps I will get used the weight and feel.

Thanks,

Tomi

Greetings,

I have used a compact digital camera underwater for about three years now, Olympus c5000 with a Sea & Sea YS25 strobe.

I have decided to upgrade to a DSLR rig. My new set up is a Nikon D80 with an Ikelite housing and DS125 strobe. Last night I set it up for the first time and boy it seems really heavy to me. I should get some negative buoyancy from the housing but how light will the rig really feel under water? Does anybody have a any experience with this? Perhaps I will get used the weight and feel.

Thanks,

Tomi

It does get heavy, especially when doing macro work, it's hard on the wrists. I use two pieces of the flotation tubing you can buy at WalMart for the swimming pool over each strobe arm. I adjust it so it is slightly negative.

ANdy

You can try out your setup by dunking it in the bathtub - that should tell you roughly how much it weighs underwater. If you want to get really technical then buy one of those spring scales at the fishing section of your local sporting goods store.

After that, there are lots of tips here in the forums about how to make your housing less negative underwater. Have a search here and in the library.

Cheers

James

Check if your Ikleite tray has a lead inside to help with the buoyancy. In fact I think it is supposed to compensate for the buoyancy of the dome and level the rig. I have decided I do not need it... so I removed it, and it has helped me a lot. Now my rig is nearly neutral using 8" buoyancy arms from ULCS.

Edited by LyN

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements