highsee3

stablilizer wing for video

anyone use a stabilizer wing for video? I can't find any information on this technique, but I have see a diver with a wing setup. I think I would rather have this over a full on tripod.

any information would be helpful. DIY would be great.

thanks

A stabilizer wing (such as the Ikelite or the older Sealux setup) helps stabilize the camera for pans and to a lesser extent, torsional stability. It does so by increasing the surface area of the housing, basically mimicking a large housing when panning. Downside is more resistance when shooting in current.

A tripod provides stability for shots that are on the sea bottom, usually for closeup shots of critters. It does not help with stability in the water when off the sea floor.

I would think that most of the time, the 2 accessories are mutually exclusive.

A stabilizer wing (such as the Ikelite or the older Sealux setup) helps stabilize the camera for pans and to a lesser extent, torsional stability. It does so by increasing the surface area of the housing, basically mimicking a large housing when panning. Downside is more resistance when shooting in current.

A tripod provides stability for shots that are on the sea bottom, usually for closeup shots of critters. It does not help with stability in the water when off the sea floor.

I would think that most of the time, the 2 accessories are mutually exclusive.

I will look into using both (not at the same time). Are there any photos of a wing? I just know that smooth shooting is key to good video and will take the extra steps needed.

I think I would rather have this over a full on tripod.

A tripod doesn't need to be all that "full on". Gates make one that is designed to tuck out of the way and is pretty good. Personally, i make my own using commercially available legs (from a cheap Sony aluminium tripod) and build it around the housing rather than sticking it under it. That allows it to be light and the weight of the camera holds it steady rather than the weight of the tripod. I little more drag in a current but not too much.

Sponsors

Advertisements