pakman

Inon UCL-165 + 100mm macro

Lost my woody diopter on a recent dive :D

Thinking about buying this Athena 67mm thread adapter for S&S compact macro ports and slapping on an Inon UCL-165 67mm close up lens.

dscn00088.jpg

Interesting...I too would like to know....I ordered the Athena 105mmVR Port which has 67mm threads and also the Inon closeup lens....dying to try it by would love to see examples too...

Pakman, Do you have a link to that thread adapter? I don't suppose the Nikon 105mm VR will fit the compact macro ports.

http://athena-opt.com/kougakue.htm

scroll down towards the bottom of the page.

the 94 refers to 94mm which is the outer diameter of the S&S compact macro port.

I doubt the 105VR will fit in the compact macro ports. I think that's why S&S came out with that new line of DX ports to accommodate that lens.

hi mike,

yes i am using the ucl 165 with the ef 100mm. and also with the 100mm plus x1,5 teleconverter. it works quite well.

here a example ... post-5531-1202908992_thumb.jpg

greets, serge

nice Serge. got a silly question, where do you store your UCL 165 when not in use?

i use a little cosmetic bag (not a joke ... it is a little cotton bag from my GF) that i clip to my bcd ... i also have a inon lensholder that i never use ... the bag is just better ...

The adapter and UCL-165 arrived last week. Won't have a chance to try it out until maybe March.

The Athena 67mm adapter uses small screws that tighten on the port. This ends up digging into the port finish. I might try using some duct tape so that I can switch it between ports for my 60mm and 100mm. Forgotten how strong of a diopter the 165 is... The 100mm + UCL-165 should make for an interesting combo...

And Serge, thanks for the cosmetic bag suggestion. Just found a small neoprene camera bag with a clip that just fits the UCL-165.

post-4907-1203845302_thumb.jpg

Well with some time on my hands tonight, I figured I'd do some quick topside test of the 100mm macro, Inon UCL-165, and Kenko 1.4xTC... Not sure I'd go out with a 1.4X TC, as I don't have a focus ring for that... Anyways, thought I'd share the results. The "GMT" on the watch face is probably about 5mm wide...

The UCL-165 introduces noticeable chromatic aberration (I can't recall how much CA my old Nexus/ Woody Diopter had). Most of the CA can be removed via CS3 ACR...

100mm Macro (alone)

post-4907-1203953772_thumb.jpg

100mm Macro + 1.4x TC

post-4907-1203953799_thumb.jpg

100mm Macro + UCL-165

post-4907-1203953829_thumb.jpg

100mmMacro + 1.4x TC + UCL-165

post-4907-1203953874_thumb.jpg

I used the combination on my last trip to Indonesia. A friend offered to fabricate a push-on adapter for my S&S custom macro port and I gladly accepted the offer. I am extremely pleased with the combination. IN fact, many of the macro shots from my last Indo gallery were taken with the conbination -- especially some of the tiny nudibranchs (see especially the little guy with the red rhinophores -- about 1/4" long).

http://mikeoelrich.net/Indo0507

I have an INON lens caddy that bolts through my ULCS arms . . .

Mike

The adapter and UCL-165 arrived last week. Won't have a chance to try it out until maybe March.

The Athena 67mm adapter uses small screws that tighten on the port. This ends up digging into the port finish. I might try using some duct tape so that I can switch it between ports for my 60mm and 100mm. Forgotten how strong of a diopter the 165 is... The 100mm + UCL-165 should make for an interesting combo...

And Serge, thanks for the cosmetic bag suggestion. Just found a small neoprene camera bag with a clip that just fits the UCL-165.

Hellow Pakman and other users,

If I understand it right, Athena had a special adapter to fit on a Sea & Sea port?

I've got a Sea & Sea Compact Macro Port S for the Canon EF-S 60mm Marco. Will fit the adapter on this port? And next month I will buy the Compact Macro Port 79 for the Sigma 105mm Macro. Will fit the adapter also on that port? I can't find that information on the Athena site.

Can you send me a few pictures of the Athena 67mm adapter? And how you put it on your port(s)?

Thank you for the information!

Greetings,

Glenn

Edited by MarineExpeditionService

A friend offered to fabricate a push-on adapter for my S&S custom macro port...

Mike

Mike,

Can you post a picture of it? I was thinking of making a mount for my 165 that attaches to my port and would like ideas.

Ben

Glenn, The Athena adapter is attached to a compact macro port in the picture I posted above (post #7). I also have the compact macro port S for my 60mm and the adapter fits that as well.

Ben - 1 think you could do as a DIY. Take an existing port cover, cut a hole in it, and some how attach a step down filter ring with a 67mm thread from any camera shop.

Glenn, The Athena adapter is attached to a compact macro port in the picture I posted above (post #7). I also have the compact macro port S for my 60mm and the adapter fits that as well.

Ben - 1 think you could do as a DIY. Take an existing port cover, cut a hole in it, and some how attach a step down filter ring with a 67mm thread from any camera shop.

So, if I understand it right, you're also using the same ports as me and is the Athena adapter a separate part that fits on the original S&S macro ports? And on the adapter you put a normal 67mm threaded macrolens from INON?

And how much did you pay for the adapter? Here in Belgium, there is no Athena dealer. So, I have to order it directly by Athena, I think.

That's correct, the 94mm version of the Athena 67mm adapter will fit the S&S Compact Macro ports.

you can try the following shops as they carry Athena products and can order from you (actually cheaper than the price quoted to me by Athena directly). The adapter isn't shown on their sites, but just email them.

These 2 Japanese and 1 Taiwanese shops can communicate in English and can handle overseas orders.

Aquaforum

http://www.jpce.co.jp/aquaforum/index.e.html

UW Digital Camera (Mr. Yuzo Kanda)

http://uwdigitalcamera.com/index.php

Taiwan - Fun-in (Joe)

http://fun-in.com.tw/catalog/index.php

It's not cheap... approx US$140-150 + shipping...

Hi Pakman,

If you turn your Inon lens caddy over and unscrew the lock-down bolt and then remove the cap, you will find that one of ULCS's YS strobe and ball mounts will fit exactly into the groove. Just put the cap back in place and then use a slightly longer screw to tighten the cap down. You can now attach the lens caddy to any system with a ball mount and clamp.

HTH,

Bruce...

post-1921-1204204338_thumb.jpg

That's correct, the 94mm version of the Athena 67mm adapter will fit the S&S Compact Macro ports.

you can try the following shops as they carry Athena products and can order from you (actually cheaper than the price quoted to me by Athena directly). The adapter isn't shown on their sites, but just email them.

These 2 Japanese and 1 Taiwanese shops can communicate in English and can handle overseas orders.

Aquaforum

http://www.jpce.co.jp/aquaforum/index.e.html

UW Digital Camera (Mr. Yuzo Kanda)

http://uwdigitalcamera.com/index.php

Taiwan - Fun-in (Joe)

http://fun-in.com.tw/catalog/index.php

It's not cheap... approx US$140-150 + shipping...

I can't find the adapter on the website of those shops.

I've send an e-mail directly to Athena for information about price, dealer in Europe and/or delivery posibilities.

Anyway, thanks for the information! I'm glad to find a nice sollution to use finally a diopterlens!

Greetings,

Glenn

I can't find the adapter on the website of those shops.

I've send an e-mail directly to Athena for information about price, dealer in Europe and/or delivery posibilities.

Anyway, thanks for the information! I'm glad to find a nice sollution to use finally a diopterlens!

Greetings,

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Marco Heesbeen from Onderwaterhuis.nl used to sell Athena equipment. Athena isn't mentioned on the website anymore, but probably it's worth giving it a try.

cheers, Udo

Hi Glenn,

Marco Heesbeen from Onderwaterhuis.nl used to sell Athena equipment. Athena isn't mentioned on the website anymore, but probably it's worth giving it a try.

cheers, Udo

Hi Udo,

That's a coincidence! I'm going to Marco this afternoon to get me some stuff with my 300€ gift voucher that I won with the Underwater Arts Contest. I will ask him for the Athena equipement. Thanks for the tip!

Greetings!

Glenn

Sponsors

Advertisements