dubdiver

Pelican 1560-Carry on?

Is it possible to use the Pelican 1560 as a carry on? I am trying to decide between the 1510 which is a little small for my needs but can work, or the 1560 which should fit all my stuff better but am not sure if it can be a carry on which is what I want. Thanks!

In the US, carryon size limits generally aren't enforced except on commuter plains where things are gate checked. However abroad things are enforced differently in different areas. The one standard seems to be the size of the 1510 (14 x 9 x 23) however even that becomes subject to secondary weight requirements in Asia.

I was in the same predicament as you. I chose the 1510 and things fit fine for now. I only have a flat port with my DSLR. I think it was Wetpixel Allison who showed this site and spoke about the slightly larger version of the Seahorse http://seahorsecases.com/Merchant2/merchan...y_Code=SE_CASES

Here's my take on the 1510. I had a 1550 but it was too big for some airline overheads and it didn't have wheels. A big problem in some airports where you end up lugging it for a mile before finding a cart. The 1510 is small enough to fit under a seat if need be but that's also a problem. I had to be very creative in order to get everything packed inside it. If you purchase it, I think the best advice would be to use the padded dividers instead of the foam. If I were making this decision tomorrow I'd have to think harder about going with something slightly bigger. Not only because I could fit more in it but also because the wheel base on the 1510 is narrow and on occasion it will ride up on my heel and flip over. At the end of the day if an airline employee asks you to check it, you're pretty much obligated to do that anyway and that is pretty much true no matter what part of the globe you're travelling. Ideally, if you're thinking like me, you want to keep your gear with you as much as possible. My opinion is that if its slightly larger than the 1510 it won't matter in most of your travels and the ones where it would matter, a smaller 1510 wouldn't make a difference.

Edited by ce4jesus

Is it possible to use the Pelican 1560 as a carry on? I am trying to decide between the 1510 which is a little small for my needs but can work, or the 1560 which should fit all my stuff better but am not sure if it can be a carry on which is what I want. Thanks!

I have often used the 1510 on airplanes and never had an issue so far. Also have the 1560 and though it may be techincally within legal limits (depending on the airline, you know how that goes :D) it just looks bigger. Meaning the outside is over 50 linear inches and just appears alot bigger than a 1510 and I think you have a better chance practically of getting it on carry-on.

P.S. I saw Ce4Jesus posted while I was looking up the exact size of the 1560. So guess I am echoing what he said. As an aside I also just picked up a Seahorse with dividers. It is a shade bigger than the 1510 but not quite as obtrusive as the 1560. It came too late for the last trip (long story).

I friend of my carries a 1560, and I don't think he has too much trouble with it as a carry-on.

I have a 1510, and have only ever had a problem on smaller planes. And I get my whole kit in it. Ikelite D70 housing, 2 DS-125s, 8" dome port with two rings, flat port for 105, all of my arms and clamps, sync cords, and tray.

The answer is a qualified yes. I haven't used it in years. I've had to gate check it many times. It's heavy before you put anything in it. Lug it around enough airports and it will end up in the closet like mine.

dubdiver,

Here are the pics you wanted.

post-4925-1202924331_thumb.jpg

post-4925-1202924353_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I use a 1450 Pelican which is nothing short of perfect for my Mac Book Pro 15". An australian check-in lady would not let me take it on board despite the fact that it fell off the luggage trolly a couple of days earlier & the reason for my flight was to take the computer for repairs from that fall. On the return flight I had no problems.

I wrote to Qantas & asked what they could suggest I do re carrying the laptop. I received an e-mail

saying " may we suggest you protect your computer with bubble wrap". Highly scientific a solution in anyone's language. That's what's so annoying these days. They won't let you take it aboard yet when you leave it in their care & it gets damaged it's your problem.

I used to use a Pelican 1510, but my new DSLR would not fit in it. I now use the Seahorse rolling carry-on. It is legal carry-on size. Weight? Well.....Here is a pic of the two.

1362542913_6061322358_o.jpg

The Seahorse is larger on all dimensions and I get a BUNCH of stuff in it.

:)

This is all the stuff I get into it!

2250767287_17eb6827de_o.jpg

I have the 1550. When I bought it (3 years ago) I've been told that it was the biggest size allowed as hand carry. I checked some airlines and the sum of the 3 dimensions (that is what it's usually used to judge) fits perfectly with the requirements. Even on small planes (like going to Philippines) just fits the overhead compartment. Obviously the full weight (mine is 11Kg) is another limitation... but I've been lucky so far!

alex

I have used a 1560 as a carry on in over ten dive trips in the last two years, but it is definitely over the legal size limit. Qantas charged me extra baggage fees, made me check it in since they will only allow 15 kg as a carry on. I do not fly Qantas anymore! Other than that, only one other time I did check it in when it would not fit into the overhead compartment of a smaller USAir jet, since it will not fit under any planes seat. It is to wide and high by about an inch. Also the 1560 will not fit into the overhead of an American Eagle turboprop and neither will a 1510.

I just purchased a Lowepro roller 3 that I will use as a check in for my big Subal housing. It looks like a regular soft side suitcase and does not say good stuff inside like a Pelican case does. 45 pounds for a 1560 and another 45 pounds for a backpack with DSLR body, lens and laptop is getting to be just to much to lug around as a carry on.

Elmer

Sponsors

Advertisements