Sign in to follow this  
Ghostpipe

Seacam Strobe Arms

Hi Guys, just thinking of upgrading my strobes to the new Seacam 150 Digital and wondering if I should switch my strobe arms as well (not satisfied with my current Kilgus ones). Has anyone experiences with the Seacams, or should I move to Ultralights instead?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Ghost, I am a fan of pretty much all things SEACAM except their strobe arms. The arms are robust but too negatively buoyant. The clamps are very cumbersome to work; this makes strobe placement more difficult than it needs to be. In addition, they are extremely expensive (like all SEACAM products). I much prefer my ULCS systems.

Furthermore, I am not a fan of STIX system predominately because the threaded fasteners (screws) that secure the ball-ends frequently back off. Many have suggested "band aide" fixes for the STIX fasteners (e.g. lock tite) but it seems to affect the ability of the user to add/remove floats which, in my mind, was the real advantage of the STIX system. If John can remedy the fastener problem than I think that this system has very good potential.

Lastly, I know many UW photographers that love TLC products. I have never tried TLC personally.

Hope this helps... :D

Hope this helps... :excl:

Thanks Damsel for your thoughts on this, which I really appreciate. I have to agree that the Seacam stuff ain't cheap at all... :D , but the quality is well beyond the average. That's why I was wondering if their arms would exceed others as well, but this might not be the case...

Cheers.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements