Steve Williams

How do I carry this thing to the boat?

You lost me with the clips on the bottom, so you carry it upside down? By the way the telecoping wheeled cooler is a great idea. I think we've circled back around to the little red wagon.

Steve

Yep - it ends up hanging upside down. To be honest, the handle is more for handing it down to me from the boat, or clipping off in-water; I just don't want a deckhand suspending the system from one strobe arm. If I'm carrying the housing on land, I cradle it in both arms and mutter "my precious."

I'm still looking for that camera dunking ceremony. There has a be a prayer to the gods for her virgin dive. Hey it couldn't hurt right?

You could crack a bottle of champagne on it, but you'd probably be dunking a new one shortly thereafter.

Edited by tjgreen

If I'm carrying the housing on land, I cradle it in both arms and mutter "my precious."

You could crack a bottle of champagne on it, but you'd probably be dunking a new one shortly thereafter.

LOL x2, That's funny! I like the idea of Champagne being involved somehow. I think Neptune prefers rum though. After hanging around sailboats most of my life I'm aware of all the rituals that go along with the sea and boats, Gold coin under the mast step of a new boat, Never leave on Friday, things like that. I just don't want to neglect some major U/W photography new camera ritual. It doesn't pay to upset Neptune. ;)

Steve

Edited by williamshs

congrats on your new housing! ;)

since you're familiar with boats, i think you'll know what i'm talking about. i use a 1.2-1.5m length of 5mm thick spectra (made of woven kevlar and stronger than steel or something like that) and tie it off to the SS holes at the handles with bowlines. i then have a carabiner tied off in the middle of the spectra which clips on to my BCD when i'm in the water.

the length is just right for me to pull it up to my face and shoot, and extend it at arm's length for whatever reason i need (like self-portraits. :( ). i can release it at any time and it hangs around my waist or thigh area.

the length also forms a nice sling to loop around your shoulder when walking around with it tucked under your arm like a gucci handbag. good when walking on beaches like tulamben, or on rocking boats.

it's a little thin and bites into the flesh when walking long distances, so i'm considering putting some rubber hose on it. the down side is that it adds bulk, and i can't just take off the rope and stuff it somewhere.

regarding the first dive, what i did was make a quick call to the bank and made sure i had enough for another camera and lens before making the plunge. :lol:

Congrats!!!

Don't know if this will help (I am probably one of the newest to UW photog here, only 2 years in and less than 6 months in my dSLR, so feel free to put me in my place ;) )...

I do a lot of beach diving with my gartantuan rig, and those ULCS arms are mighty floppy. I finally made a loop of medium-width bungee and wrap it around both arms for carrying. The rig is always clipped to my harness anyways using an extendable cord that can clip off to a short length for carrying, but the bungee helps me be a bit less concerned with an arm flopping and a strobe cracking into something. Once I'm through the surf zone and kicking out, I take the bungee off and put it in a pocket or triple-wrap it over my wrist. When I dive off a day charter, I carry the beast onboard in a padded soft cooler.

(Just wanted to say, I totally understand about the psychosis...I used to be a semi-normal girl who spent her extra cash on shoes and shampoo and expensive denim...now it's all lenses and insurance and editing software. Fortunately, my husband still finds it amusing.)

(Just wanted to say, I totally understand about the psychosis.)
I'm glad somebody understands. :P I think I've figured out my first approach to a handle. It turns out that the strap on my old (20yrs) pelican case may be perfect. Two big clips that won't scratch anything and the strap will adjust up tight enough to be just right. Now if I can just find some big tygon tubing I'll be set. Thanks for all the help and the understanding.

Steve

Edited by williamshs

I think Neptune prefers rum

Steve, the rum is for the photographer ... to calm the nerves after having dunked a new, perfectly working, expensive piece of electronics in salt water :P

Steve, the rum is for the photographer :)
LOL, We might as well get the good stuff then. Neptune gets the first shot, maybe if we give the housing a good dousing in Old Barbados it will swell the o-rings. One way or the other there will be some serious partying the first night after that set of dives! Either a celebration or a wake :P

Steve

Hi Steve

I brought a great Lowenpro bag ( computertreker plus AW) and all except the dome lens fits in there I have the dome lens and arms for strobe in a sea & sea bag seems to work well I am off for my first trip with my 40D Sea and sea rig with strobe next week cant wait will report back if bag was good.

Mal

B)

Hey folks,

Thanks again for all the help. I'd thought I'd share the block one handle design I came up with after all your input.

post-4526-1206837397_thumb.jpg post-4526-1206837424_thumb.jpg

I ran out of luck trying to find Tech tape here in town so my golden retriever let me have one of his leashes he didn't need any more. A couple of Cetacea SS swivel snaps and a piece of reinforced tubing from the hardware store and we have ourselves a handle! I made it long enough so that it will roll it under the housing if I want and stay there, or I can clip it off to my BC. Oh yeah, cool secret feature, my Fiji stick/ monopod slides in the tubing for safe keeping. I worried about the clip length quite a bit. I don't like anything dangling when I'm close to the reef and I get very nervous when any thing is dangling next to the housing clamps. The old Nikonos IV had a nasty habit of popping open if anything came close to the latches. Still scares me, so I made sure there was nothing to catch on the clamp. Next stop cooler store. :lol:

Dive safe!

Steve

Nice one Steve.....thanks for sharing

Folks,

My new Sea & Sea 40D rig arrived yesterday. My first DSLR is finally here. 27 boxes of shiny new parts and lots of paper and bubble wrap. The UPS guy brought the new MDX 40D housing, the 60MM compact port, the 100mm DX port, the NX dome port and 2 YS250 strobes plus assorted focus gears, cords and chargers. For about two hours I just sat in a state of awe and just looked at it sitting there on the bed. Neat brown boxes all labeled "Underwater Camera Equipment". It took 20 years to make this happen. To want something for so long and finally see it laid out before you is a kind of mind blowing experience. Trying not to act like a kid at Christmas I carefully opened each box and checked the contents. I took about 4 hours to check and lube each o-ring and it all went together surprisingly easily ( I had memorized the manual waiting for Sea & Sea to design and build this beauty). I must tell you I have a new found appreciation for you folks who shoot these full size SLR rigs. I used to think caring for a Nikonos was a pain. You have earned a whole new level of respect from yours truly.

I of course marched around the house when I got the camera installed, strobes all a kimbo, hanging off the new UCLS arms, taking pictures of everything (all manual of course) with my wife wondering if I had finally gone completely off the deep end. After a year of planning and studying it dawned on me that I was not prepared for a couple of things. Each port segment comes with it's spare o-ring and tube of very special, it would seem from the 40 small yellow warnings littering my den, tube of lube. What in the heck am I going to do with 9 tubes of o-ring grease? (Don't answer that) As I sat there staring, I realized that some of these o-rings are different sizes, in nice little unmarked bags. How do I label and store them so I don't spend a frustrating hour some night in a small dry spot on a rocking boat looking for the right one? For now they are still in the labeled box they came in. I also wasn't quite prepared for the shear heft of the rig. How in the heck am I going to get this to the boat? There's no handle! Do I hire porters? I've been lucky enough to dive all over the world and never seen this type of processional with the UW photographer followed by his consort dutifully carrying his gear. So I'm guessing that's not the answer. There is a place to put a handle of sorts. The housing has two SS rings to attach something between but the focus light will be in the way. And if you make the handle long enough to go over the focus light it's just the right length to float down in front of the lens. I've taken enough pictures of sync cords to see that coming.

I just had to share my joy with my friends here. Very few other people outside our little asylum would understand. Any thoughts on getting my rig to the boat would be appreciated. Little red wagon? I'll post a picture of the new setup as soon as I figure out how to get my camera out of the housing. :unsure:

Steve

New to the forum, we make high quality soft sided coolers that we sell to the boaters but have done a lot of business with photographer's. If your looking for a bag for your camera check us out. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Brian

aocoolers.com

New to the forum, we make high quality soft sided coolers that we sell to the boaters but have done a lot of business with photographer's. If your looking for a bag for your camera check us out. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Brian

aocoolers.com

Hey thanks Brian, Your coolers look great. Tie down straps for the boat, Embroidered logo or name. How cool is that. Very glad I waited. Now to pick the color, the pink camo might be a little much. :unsure:

Steve

Very glad I waited. Now to pick the color, the pink camo might be a little much. :unsure:

Nah, if you dive with it other fish will think you are a fish and come closer to check you out for better shots :wacko:

Hey thanks Brian, Your coolers look great. Tie down straps for the boat, Embroidered logo or name. How cool is that. Very glad I waited. Now to pick the color, the pink camo might be a little much. :unsure:

Steve

No one would take it!

We will offer 10% off for everyone from this site for the the month of April!!!

Just put you heard about us from wetpixel website in the comments part of our order form..

Brian

aocoolers.com

(951) 582-9798

Hey Brian!

I am the guy that ordered the cooler from you and said that I read about it here. Shipped to Daytona Beach. Glad to spread the word on what looks like a great product. I look forward to receiving it. The dimensions of your 36 pack cooler are just about perfect for my rig.

Kay-Burn

Sponsors

Advertisements