NPSParkRanger

Cayman Island Suggestions? Grand, Little or Brac?

Howdy.

I am looking to head down to the Caymans in a few months. Has anyone been there that can give me some suggestions? I have heard that Little Cayman is the best spot… what do you think? What are the pros and cons? Are there any dive operators and accommodations that you would suggest? I am going with someone else… we are both advanced divers and my main agenda is photography.

Thanks in advance!

Bill

My suggestions would be to do all 3 !

Little Cayman is known as being the mnid blower due to Bloody Bay Wall.

on the Brac in my mind the only thing really worth seeing is the MV Capt. Keith Tibbetts's Wreck.

You could definately spend a whole 5 days diving little Cayman and never even come close to running out of dives. However the diving in Grand Cayman is very different and can be just as exciting and in my mind if you are coming down here I would not miss out on a few dives here in Cayman maybe on the East End and Northside.

There are plenty of Cayman regulars and even a few of us that live here so I am sure if you have any direct questions then we can help out more. And of course the best spots are all subjective, but I would definately mix the trip up with all three ! (you can dive the wreck from little cayman, so you only need to stay on 2 islands)

Thanks!

Any companies that you would especially suggest that we use? I would really like a place that I do not nead to haul my gear everyday.... and whose dive boat is set up for cameras (a camera only tank... and a table). It sounds like I can't go wrong with either Grand or Little...

Thanks again!

Bill

I am heading to Ocean Frontiers on the East End of Grand Cayman next month. I dove with them in Sep '06 and found them to be top notch. Mind you, the East End of Grand Cayman is about 30 minutes from Georgetown. Apart from that one minor drawback, OF is excellent.

www.o

I'll just add this, Little Cayman has great diving but the island is small and has absolutely nothing to do when the diving is done, no bars, no shopping, no restaurants (except one small one) so keep that in mind. The Brac diving has slightly more to do and the diving is also very good, but not as dramatic as Little Cayman. Grand Cayman is more like a little city these days, plenty of shopping, bars, clubs and restaurants to choose from and has some great dive sites on all four sides. Keep in mind that the East end of the island is quite a drive away from George Town, especially if you are coming into GT to dive in the mornings. East and North tends to be rougher seas, the west has the calmest.

I really liked Little Cayman. It had the best diving of anyplace I have been in the Caribbean. The East End of Grand Cayman was a close second (Ocean Frontiers was the dive operator, and was excellent). While it is true that there is not much to do on Little Cayman, the diving is so good that it is worth it. I stayed at Little Cayman Beach Resort, and the bar was great; the food was good, and it was a fine place to relax and hang out while not diving. The dive operation was wonderful, too.

I'll second the vote for Little Cayman operator ..

I like Little Cayman Beach Resort with Reef Divers as the Dive Operator there.

Patrick also brough up a valid point, diving and relaxing is all you can really get up to there so if you would like a vacation with nice restaurants and bars and maybe some shopping then You definately need to check out Grand Cayman ... and while you are there why not do some diving (you have to fly through anyway so why not come do some diving!)

As everyone has mentioned Ocean Frontiers is the East End dive operation, if you want to see more on Cayman Dive Operators http://www.divecayman.ky/ is a great place to start.

You guys have got me all excited to go to Cayman again. Last time was in 84. I was checking the Little Cayman resort site and they mention the baggage alottment. How does it work to fly the express out to Little Cayman with the 55lb baggage limit? I think my cases weight more than that. I can buy a tee shirt on the island so clothing is covered but gear and cameras are an issue.

Steve

Sponsors

Advertisements