cor

waterproof key holder?

Hi all, anyone here using any waterproof container for a car key? My car only has these fancy electronic keys, so everytime im diving i have to perform surgery on it to take all electronics out of it and then take it with me UW. It'd be nice to have a small waterproof (not water resistant :blush:) container to put it in instead.

Cor

you can buy my car :-)

I think Ikelite still makes a little key container.

Buddy of mine had a separate non-electronic key made to take with him diving. Or you could de-elecronize your spare keys.

Cor,

I have the same problem.

An old torch was the perfect solution for me.

Thats a good idea Peter! Got a whole pile of old Ikelite flashlights. I'll try and rig something up. :blush:

Cor

That's brilliant. I actually purchased an otter box to hold a VHF radio and I keep my keys in there with that. I just tie it off to the yoke before I dive since its slightly positive.

I just stick my keys in the housing with my camera. (though perhaps not all housings have as much extra room in them as Ikelite....)

I've got electronics in my main key too, but the car also came with a 'valet' key that's just the mechanical. That gets clipped to the whistle-holder ring on my BC (inside the pocket) and the electronic key stays locked in the car, out of site.

One of these days I'm gonna lose it off the BCD ring, aren't I? :blush:

The old dive light idea was indeed a good one; will keep that in mind for future options.

I, too, had a mechanical key cut which lets me open the doors and the boot/trunk and I wear that on a string around my neck. Electronic key stays hidden in the car.

For a 100% dry low tech solution use 2 zip lock bags, one inside the other for insurance. Squeeze the air out as you zip them closed and put them in a BC pocket that you dont have anything sharp in .

Doesn't everyone dive in a dry suit? :)

Just put it in your pocket.

how about using a film canister? you can then duct-tape some cord around it and tie it off on your reg or something. maybe even your camera housing for some extra buoyancy ;)

I eventually ended up putting it inside the housing. Worked great.

Doesn't everyone dive in a dry suit? ;)

Just put it in your pocket.

Eeeeexactly.

If your car is the kind that senses the key and unlocks for you (ours is a Touareg), this is worth some incredulous looks, as you walk to the car and open the door without unzipping the drysuit!

All the best, James

Sponsors

Advertisements