Sign in to follow this  
eskasi

200ft waterproof MP3 Player.....

http://www.frontgate.com/jump.jsp?item=302...iProductID=9488

I would think these would be a distraction? Especially to newbie divers? Perhaps for those that are doing long deco stops?

In theory it is cool, but I am not sure I would want to listen to music when diving and for some it could become a distraction. If someone is using it at 200 feet..hmmmm. Looks like the headphones are over the ears and not tight, so probably not going to mess with equalization but some people do have issues even with hoods, so I am not sure that is the best idea for some people. On a long deco stop probably not going to be an issue, but if going up and down...well.

I would think these would be a distraction? Especially to newbie divers? Perhaps for those that are doing long deco stops?

I'm needing a Cellphone with similar capabilities.

My boss needs to get hold of me... also I might need to call someone....

The conversation might go like this: (yelling into the phone of course)

Uncle John?

Guess where I am.

Yep I remember that too.

No really, guess where I am?

You'll never guess.

I'm in the Cayman Trench.

Yep and guess what? I just peed in my wetsuit!

I'm sure you have all heard this type of inane conversation in an airplane, train or while you are eating dinner.

Can't wait for the last peaceful sport to be interrupted by all the man made noise.

Can't wait for the last peaceful sport to be interrupted by all the man made noise.

LOL, as if running into another dive group where the DM is clanging away is not bad enough, but maybe if they call the group instead of clanging it could be less obtrusive :)

that sounds a bit like Ford Prefect (in Douglas Adams books) thinking that humans must keep talking or we start to think (or am I a geek now :-))

We did a 250 foot dive with a guy last summer who had one of these (there were three of us). He took off the clips and stuffed the speakers under his hood. It seemed to work pretty well for him, although he said the controls don't work at that depth. No flood though.

We didn't hear a thing (probably because of the hood).

I can see the attraction of this on long deco hangs (audio books!). However, I'm a bit leery of getting in the water with someone who wouldn't be able to hear an audible sign or signal of distress and probably would have asked him to leave it on the boat if he were my only buddy.

Stefan

I have one, but I've never used it on a dive. They were discontinued last year and I bought the housing on a fire sale for $30. I still don't have the MP3 player to put into it.

Most of the guys that use them out here are doing 1 hour deco hangs, which is really boring in open water.

Yeah...I thought so.....1hr deco stops? I would want one of these too.....in fact, some dive computers have basic games built in if I am not mistaken.

As for the cellphone idea...you can already do it via a Full face mask, a link on the boat and have that interface with your cell...almost all the gear can be bought on Leisurepro. I have thought of trying one of these with my buddy. 2 Way Communication. It would certainly be fun. My first line would be "Watch out for that shark behind you!!!"

200ft waterproof MP3 player

Just another piece of evidence from the insanity of consumerism appeasing the mindless.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements