underwatercolours

TRIP REPORT: Diving with giant mantas at the Revillagigedos Archipelago

I have just posted a trip report on my website for my recent trip to the Socorro Islands. We were there the week before Eric's trip.

http://www.underwatercolors.com/solmar_tri...port_Jan08.html

Enjoy!

Bonnie

Great report Bonnie , thanks!

The pics are great and the vis looks unbelievable ! . It made me wants to comeback . I went 8 years ago , so i think i'm ready to return !

Great trip report and beautiful pics, Bonnie!

Bonnie -

Thanks so much for this link...beautiful photos. We are headed down to the Revillagigedos at the end of March, and I am having kind of a hard time getting anything accomplished at work in the meantime!!! Your trip report has officially thwarted all efforts otherwise.

Quick question - I was planning on taking WA setups and maybe a 50 mm macro/lens/port just in case. Do you recommend taking more extensive macro gear?

Allison

It is definitely a wide angle destination, but that should not stop you doing a little macro if you are feeling masochistic.

Many of the sites have quite a bit of surge close to the rocks and the moment you put a macro lens on you are guarenteed to be swarmed by mantas. I got a lovely shot (not) of a manta's eye parasites on the same dive as I shot this blenny with a 105mm macro!

mex08_02.jpg

The 50mm is well worth taking along for fish, shark faces etc. I only had my 105mm with me because the recent Wetpixel Revillagigedos trip was the third leg of longer trip for me.

Alex

It is definitely a wide angle destination, but that should not stop you doing a little macro if you are feeling masochistic. . .The 50mm is well worth taking along for fish, shark faces etc.

I agree with Alex; a 50mm would be a good lens that could serve double duty (fish, sharks...and macro when nothing else is around). I didn't take anything but WA (max 35mm), and there were a few spots where I would have preferred a 50mm. I personally still wouldn't take a longer lens than that, though; you're going to Socorro to see BIG stuff, and you'd hate to have a 105 on the one dive when a whole herd/flock/school of mantas swims by! :)

Edited by bmyates

I think Bruce got some of his best manta shots from the trip on the dive I photographed the blenny!

Alex

I think Bruce got some of his best manta shots from the trip on the dive I photographed the blenny!

Alex

:) That's a fact (you can see my photos from that trip here). Several people decided to shoot macro on that dive. It just goes to show, even if you haven't seen mantas in several dives, you never know...

Actually, I'll never forget poor Marcelo on that dive - he hung watching three of us photographing a very cooperative manta (it stayed with us for about 15 minutes), and when I motioned him to get in on the action, he just pointed dejectedly at his camera...with its macro lens.

In fact, here is an unprocessed photo of Marcelo and that manta - note his camera hanging uselessly. (It's not a particularly good photo, but you can almost feel his pain, can't you!?) There's a moral there somewhere...

post-65-1203527609_thumb.jpg

Edited by bmyates

What fun to see your biggest fear put into writing....thanks for the reposnses.

I'll bring my 50 mm then... though I dive with that thing a couple times a week and may have to leave it in my bag as a result! Blennies be damned.

Thanks again for the gorgeous report, Bonnie. And Bruce? Great pics! I LOVE your B&W dolphin pic.

(I sigh loudly and pretend to go back to work, 36 days....)

Thanks for all your nice comments! Great shots Bruce. Looks like the dolphins and the silvertips stuck around for you guys too. Sorry for mucking up your work agenda, Allison. I know how that goes! I SHOULD be working right now.

I used a 10.5 fisheye for most the trip at the places where I was expecting to see mantas (The Boiler, Roca Partida, The Canyon) and 12-24 at Cabo Pearce where I had a feeling we'd see dolphins. I just knew that the minute I put on a macro lens that whale would show up.

I just received notice from the Solmar V that we've had a couple of cancellations on our previously full April trip, so if anyone is interested in joining us, let me know. More info here on Wetpixel in the commercial section.

Bonnie

Actually, I'll never forget poor Marcelo on that dive - he hung watching three of us photographing a very cooperative manta (it stayed with us for about 15 minutes), and when I motioned him to get in on the action, he just pointed dejectedly at his camera...with its macro lens.

My fault really. I had leant Marcelo the my 60mm for the dive! Whoops.

Alex

Wow - awesome photos and really enjoyed the trip report. That just went on my must-dive list. Loved the story about the dolphin encounter too - had me laughing out loud at work.

Bonnie-

Well done! My wife and I had a great time with you on that trip. Our first time to Revillagigedos, but second trip on the Solmar V, and they are fantastic. We both got some beautiful video (not of El Squid Roe lucky for you) of multiple giant mantas with whale song sound track. The real problem with a trip like that is it could be addictive!

Sponsors

Advertisements