Sign in to follow this  
Ben

Which macro lens?

Hello everyone

I am planning a trip to Manado, Lembeh Straits in July, and I won't go there without a macro lens on my Canon G2/Ikelite/DS 125 combo !

But which one should I choose?

My local supplier has a couple of Epoque DML-2 available... is your feedback OK with this one? Or should I look for the INON UCL-330 macro lens?

I've read in a previous post that the Sea&Sea 1:2 looks really bad with Olympus cameras, should I forget about it with my G2?

What's your feedback about these lens and vignetting?

Thanks for your help!

I never used the macro add on, but I had the Inon W/A add on for my G2, it was extremely nice. Assuming the Macro is the same quality, you wont be dissapointed.

Having tried a couple and seen a few, I would recommend the Olympus PCU-01 over the others for taking pictures of tiny things. The INON is a great lens, but doesn't offer a great amount of magnification. If you just need to get a bit closer, the UCL-330 is good, if you really want some pictures of small critters, then consider the Oly lens. INON is supposed to be releasing a new lens soon that will offer more magnification. Keep in mind that with the shutter lag factored in, super macro with a P&S camera is challenging! For a comparison of how much the lenses magnify and the working distances involved, check out (scroll down):

http://www.uwdigitalcamera.com/English/eM67lens.htm

Studio shots, but you get the idea.

Mike

PS My experience is with Oly cameras in Ike housings -- the G2 may work a bit diffeerently . . .

Thanks.

The "underwaterdigital" comparison shows a blur with the Epoque macro lens test... is it the camera which did not focus or a lens flaw?

Hi All

I uploded "Each lens distortion comparison". to my web.

Which close up lens is the best ? I had this question frequency. I hope my testing will be help for you.

And INON UCL-165 lens has arrived just today.

I think INON Lenses are supperior by my impression.

But there is the compatibility for each housing and camera. So this data will differ.

And as Mike wrote, these are the Studio shots, but you get the idea.

http://www.uwdigitalcamera.com/English/eM67lens.htm

Thanks for this comparison, it is very helpful.

There is one thing I am not sure to understand.

What does "photographing ratio" mean in your comparison, I am not sure i get the explanation on the site, sorry? Why does this ratio change a lot between each lens? The Epoque lens seems to magnify more than the others, right?

Ben, you have to pay attention to both the magnification and the distance the photo was taken at. According to the captions, the Oly lens magnifies a bit more that the Epoque. However the Epoque picture is taken from 5.5cm away vice 6.5cm, making it appear to be magnifying more. That's what I get out of it anyway . . .

Mike

PS Yuzo, those distortion shots are very useful. Thanks for posting them!

Hi Yuzo,

Is there any reason why you took these shots at different distances?

The same shot taken at the same distance with different lens would have been better to compare, wouldn't it :freak: ?

Hi Ben

I am always asked " How big can I take the object by each lens?" As you said it may be reasonable to test at same distance, but then it will not be the highest magnification shot. so as I wrote at caption "It photographs at the shortest distance where you can obtain maximum photographing magnification ratio." And the shortest distance are different from each lenses. I think my testing will give the idea " How much close to the object and how much magnify it". About the comparison of the magnification ratio, the testing of distortion were taken from the same distance, and the same zoom position. They also give the idea of magnification ratio. :P

Thanks Yuzo.

Do you think vignetting is only due to the OLYMPUS C-5050Z+PT-015 + Epoque PML2-2 combo, or is there any chance to have it with other camera+housing as well? Have you tried with Canon+Ikelite housings?

Unfortunately I don't have Ikelite housing, so I can not test it. But Canon G2 has 34-104mm lens , on the other hand OLYMPUS C-5050 has 35-105mm.

I can guess it apears vignetting with Canon G2, but usually when using close up lens you may set the zoom position at tele side. then the vignetting will disapear.

And the distortion are not much problem, because there are few liner objects underwater, but I want to say the decrease of contrast is much problem.

I think it is due to the quarity of the lens. :ph34r:

Yuzo

I agree, but if there is a slight decrease of contrast, this could be compensated with Photoshop... I think I'll go for the Epoque lens because of the magnification ratio... and the price !

Thanks Yuzo

Sorry, one more thing : vignetting appears at wide angle (35mm), right? At which focal length does it disappear?

I have an important question regarding the testing methodology.

Were those photos taken in air or underwater?

I am updating this thread because I think Marscubas's question is extremely interesting !!

It looks like these photos were taken in air... which is not convenient at all!

These macro lenses can be removed underwater, which means there is water filling in between the housing and the lens, right? (some little holes in the Ikelite housings' lens adaptors help water to fill in)

This water layer is a part of the global optical system

Everyone knows that water and air optical properties are different B)

As a conclusion, without any other explanations about testing conditions, it's hard to rely on these tests....

well to throw a spanner in the works, i had a mess around with my 3040 and a set of close up lens (+1, +2 and +4)

after a couple of photo's and messing around trying to focus i found the the +1 gave the best results.

some of the close ups can be seen on my site (Red Sea 2002) The Deep Blue (Nudi's)

the close up lens set cost me £24 which all will agree is a damn site cheaper than the £100 + for a close up/macro lens.

what you have to remember is that water is a x25 so you have the camera in air behind glass then another lens with water between and water the other side so that is one hell of a magnification equation. :freak:

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements