Viz'art

Sigma 17-70 comes in two versions

:) Just a foot note, If you are looking at getting a Sigma, remember that this lens come in two versions, the HSM version is quite larger than the original version and does not use the same gear as the original type.

Theres a coupe a folks out there that got fool by this one, and this little detail can really mess up a photo trip if you are the last minute shopping type. So please, for your sake, check which version you have, check with your dealer and confirm that they are aware of the difference when ordering your gear, if in doubt contact your housing manufacturer for confirmation of the gear number.

Cheers

:) Just a foot note, If you are looking at getting a Sigma, remember that this lens come in two versions, the HSM version is quite larger than the original version and does not use the same gear as the original type.

Theres a coupe a folks out there that got fool by this one, and this little detail can really mess up a photo trip if you are the last minute shopping type. So please, for your sake, check which version you have, check with your dealer and confirm that they are aware of the difference when ordering your gear, if in doubt contact your housing manufacturer for confirmation of the gear number.

Cheers

Do you know how you can tell which one you have? And of course, Ikelite only lists one on their site along with the port that fits it -- wonder which one their port is made for?

JP

The new HSM version only comes with a Nikon mount.

Here's the details on both versions:

HSM Version

Original Version

Edited by Gudge

And of course, Ikelite only lists one on their site along with the port that fits it -- wonder which one their port is made for?

Both work ok with the 8" dome and the .24 body. But it's not so easy about zoom gear.

The Ikelite standard gear works with the non HSM version of the lens. In fact, the HSM version is too fat to work with any of the Ikelite gears up to date.

To make it work I have worked out two different zoom rings. Both work ok with the same sleeve as the Tokina 10-17. The first one is just a ring made of 1mm thin neoprene, wide enough to cover the zoom ring. Easy to build from a piece of neoprene using scisors and neoprene glue. The second one is a ring made of the hard part of velcro. In both cases, the sleeve just goes over the ring, which has enough grip.

If you are interested, I can post pictures to make it clearer.

Edited by LyN

Hello

Does somebody know if there is a zoom gear wich could be used with the sigma 17 70 in a Sea and sea housing ??

Thanks for the heads-up Jean, I checked mine out last night and it's the non-HSM version. I recently bought the Ike housing, 8" port with appropriate base. So, I walked around the house last night taking lots of photos with the 17-70 at both ends of the scale, it works *very* well. I'm eagerly anticipating getting wet with this setup.

I also have a Nikon 60mm macro and port, which will probably be plenty of task-loading for my first outing with this setup. Later for a nice wide-angle.

JP

I've just bought a Sigma 17-70 F2.8 for my Nikon D300 in a Sea & Sea housing. nobody seems to know which zoom gear I need. Can anyone help please? I believe it is the new HSM version.

Thank you :)

If its the HSM Version, then its should read HSM clearly on the lens, you can also compare both lenses from the Sigma website. The inside diameter of the HSM gear should be +/- 3.0845" and the "standard NON HSM" inside diameter should be +/- 2.77". hope this help

Jean

Can you list the Aquatica zoom gear numbers for both the HSM and non HSM versions of this lens please

Thanks

Simon

Sorry .. forgot to ask

Does anybody have any preference which version to go for with Nikon ?

Is there an image advantage for the HSM version UW as it's newer or would it be the same quality on the non HSM lens

Thanks

18716 is for the Standard version

18719 is for the HSM (Nikon only) version

Given the choice I would go for the HSM, faster focusing, i'm actually very impressed by this lens (in both version), very good close up, fair angle of view, very good scouting lenses IMO and might just end up getting one for my underwater stuff.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the selection of lenses from third party companies such as Tokina and Sigma, in their quest for finding lenses that are different than the Nikon & Canon offering, they often end up with the "must have" lens for the underwater photographer. case in point I seriously doubt that the Tokina design bureau had us in mind when they designed the 10-17 and yet a good chunk of their sales are atributed to us.

Many thanks for the reply. It seems that the HSM is the one I have bought. Do you happen to know if Sea and Sea have made a specific zoom gear for this lens?

Yours,

Sea Wasp (it seems someone chose this name for me! Can't imagine why)

18716 is for the Standard version

18719 is for the HSM (Nikon only) version

Given the choice I would go for the HSM, faster focusing, i'm actually very impressed by this lens (in both version), very good close up, fair angle of view, very good scouting lenses IMO and might just end up getting one for my underwater stuff.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the selection of lenses from third party companies such as Tokina and Sigma, in their quest for finding lenses that are different than the Nikon & Canon offering, they often end up with the "must have" lens for the underwater photographer. case in point I seriously doubt that the Tokina design bureau had us in mind when they designed the 10-17 and yet a good chunk of their sales are atributed to us.

I am not familiar with the Sea & Sea products, but making a gear is not rocket science and is all too often the mortar that hold a system together for the user, I would think that they would make one given the popularity and pertinence of this lens.

Cheers

Thanks for the heads up on the different diameters.

This has been my standard 'walk-around" lens for some time now. I have an older f/3.5 non-HSM version, but like it very much. Even enough to consider another newer copy.

I haven't shot UW a lot with it, enough to see that I'd like it to be 2.8 though. :-) I have it in a 5" dome with an extension ring on my Fantasea Housing and it does quite well for "kind of" macro or wide angle. It needs to be shot at around f8-f12 for it's sweet spot.

I have been taking it out for practice before I go to Bonaire the end of next month. Experimented with lighting techniques in very bad viz last weekend; our "norm" here in Puget Sound...

2289094480_dc15de46e0.jpg

to this

2289094990_c4e39d2d66.jpg

on one dive!

Jack

Sponsors

Advertisements