easydiver

Fisheye Fix Mini LED --- Bad Review

Having decided that I needed a focus light so my camera can autofocus in our dark Pacific Northwest water I went with the inexpensive Fisheye Fix Mini LED light. I'd already spent a lot of money on a new camera rig so I attempted to save some coin on a small accessory light.

The light gave off a pleasing bluish-white light with a very nice, smooth pattern and the strobe detection auto-shutoff appeared to work well. However, the light flooded during its first dive in fresh water, then again several dives later. I inspected the light and lubed the O-ring prior to diving. The O-ring was apparently in good condition, although it did seem rather thin.

I have been diving for over 24 years I've only had one light flood---and that's because I didn't reinstall the O-ring following a trip (it was removed for air travel).

I contacted the vendor and was told it was operator error, however I've read several reviews on Wetpixel of this same light flooding under similar circumstances. Unfortunately I didn't do my research prior to purchasing the light. I'd also read several comments that the vendor I used had great customer service, but I had to contact them for a response rather than having them freely provide me with their evaluation of this light after I returned it to them for testing.

It seems like it would be a great light if it didn't fill up with water.

I'm sorry to hear about the flood. I was considering purchasing this light as a focus light. I'm wondering what others have experienced.

Hartenberger Mini focus - expensive, but top quality and well worth it !

The Fantasea or Suprema 44 LED dive light is a great focus light. Used it extensively in January, nice white diffused light, my 5D & 40D had no problems with auto focus and best part, the light didn't scare the mandarins!

Stu

My Fix mini LED focus light has partially flooded which made it a bit flaky untill I squirted WD40 into the head. Works OK now.

2 mates have flooded theirs with no obvious cause. I suspect there is a design flaw, too many unexplained floods.

Mine went after 3 dives , all i did was turn mine on before the dive and off after the dive (except the last one ). I know it's not the retailers fault . The fact that the manufacture can get away with just saying it flooded so it's the users fault.

I don't know if this is the same light, but I have a Fisheye Fix HG20DX and the red flood indicator light came on while I was on land!!

I had two of those that had issues, bad contacts, chargers, just dying (all within a few days of getting them, including in the middle of a dive in a cenote) Gave up, returned them when I got home and got something else instead.

I had two of those that had issues, bad contacts, chargers, just dying (all within a few days of getting them, including in the middle of a dive in a cenote) Gave up, returned them when I got home and got something else instead.

I'm thinking about doing the same thing now, which is a shame because it really is a nice light.

I'm thinking about doing the same thing now, which is a shame because it really is a nice light.

I like the light when it worked. At the time (about 1 year and half ago) there was something mentioned of some bad runs of the lights (or something similar) but I was turned off by them at that point even if it was just a bad run. Went with the Hartenberger Nano's instead. A bit more money, but they are solid for me since then. I like the fact that you do not even need to remove the battery to charge it, just shake out the contacts and plug it in. Each light has its ups and downs, there were some threads discussing different focus lights. Trying to remember the last one here, but backscatter has a list here

http://www.backscatter.com/hostedstore/pro...ocuslights.html

and an article well worth looking at here

http://www.backscatter.com/learn/article/article.php?ID=5

I have two HG20DX focus lights - lots of dives, no problems.

I have two HG20DX focus lights - lots of dives, no problems.

That's good to know. I really liked the light and the dealer is fixing it for me no charge...if he ever gets the parts from the manufacturer. :lol: He did offer to send me a brand new one but I told him I wasn't in a rush.

I had two of the LMI Mod lights, which I loved for years, but then they got recalled, and though mine didn't have any problems, I started looking at alternatives. Bought one of the early Fix lights (HG20DX) to try out on a trip and due to the way the back is designed, water bounced back into the battery compartment when I removed the back (even holding it upside down) but I didn't notice at the time. Flood indicator came on and I checked it out, tried to wipe the droplets out, but some corrosion took place; the good thing was that it kept working anyway. Also had the much talked about battery charging issues with that one, so I sent it back to Reef Photo, and they sent me a new one. The new one also exhibits the battery charging issues, but less frequently. Had four separate friends buy this light as well, and each one of them has experienced either the battery charging issue, or the leak indicator coming on spuriously (or not, maybe it was droplets getting in the back like mine).

In the meantime, LMI started exchanging mod lights for the Hartenberger nano lights, so I swapped the two of mine, and have been *very* happy with the Hartenbergers. My Fix light has been relegated to backup.

I still wish LMI would come out with a new Mod light. They were smaller and lighter, with essentially the same beam as the Fix or Hartenbergers.

Just my experiences, YMMV.

Linda

Sponsors

Advertisements