Steve Williams

Best way to Label your Housing & Gear?

Hi folks,

I'm getting all geared up for Bonaire and the Digital Shootout in June. (The water here isn't quite up to temp just yet, I know I'm a wus) I'm looking at last years photos and it looks like about 60 or more fanatical photographers with every kind of gear imaginable. How do you put your name on your housing and ports etc. I have always just put a strip of yellow waterproof tape around my gear so it's easy to find on the camera table. Somehow that doesn't feel like it's going to quite work with a boatload of cameras. And my new S&S rig has a few more parts than the old Nikonos. I've heard rumors that the Subal housings come with your name engraved in gold letters, shouldn't a new Sea & Sea housing get a brass plaque? Any help appreciated.

Steve

Hi folks,

I'm getting all geared up for Bonaire and the Digital Shootout in June. (The water here isn't quite up to temp just yet, I know I'm a wus) I'm looking at last years photos and it looks like about 60 or more fanatical photographers with every kind of gear imaginable. How do you put your name on your housing and ports etc. I have always just put a strip of yellow waterproof tape around my gear so it's easy to find on the camera table. Somehow that doesn't feel like it's going to quite work with a boatload of cameras. And my new S&S rig has a few more parts than the old Nikonos. I've heard rumors that the Subal housings come with your name engraved in gold letters, shouldn't a new Sea & Sea housing get a brass plaque? Any help appreciated.

Steve

I brought some labels from these people 3 years ago and put them on my U/W photo stuff..Ike tray and handle and on my DS-12s and the labes are still there.. Maybe 100 dives.. Nice looking to . and that counts..

http://labelyourstuff.com/wprooflabels.htm

Joe

Thanks Joe, They look perfect. Wetpixel is truly an amazing place. :P

Steve

i use a Dymo label maker

put the first one on as a quick fix for a shootout a few years ago and it hasn't fallen off yet :P

Plus, its a bright yellow thing - that helps dive boat crew even when they can't read my name :)

Wow Lndr, they have Stainless Steel tape available, that's very cool. and Labeling Shrink tube. Uh Oh this is going to be a tough choice.

you gotta love a gadget !!!

they are great for tagging batteries, chargers, portable HDD and stuff too.

oooo .... stainless :P

but is that embossing or adhesive? I use adhesive plastic.

Hey Steve

For what they cost Subal housings should come with a gold-leaf name plate. But sadly the rumours are not true. No name plate - gold, brass or even plastic. Nice idea though

Older Subal's used to have a plate on the back where you could fill in your name.

Many years ago I got a batch of stickers made up with my name on. They are particularly useful for parts like arms and lens caps that everyone has.

post-713-1204277914_thumb.jpg

Alex

Leave it to The Doctor to do the little things with style. B)

Steve

Dymo or P-Touch labelers work very well and last a long time. We picked a new P-Touch at Staples last Jan for about 20$ and that included a bunch of tapes... not a bad deal at all.

As for Subal, I guess the names could be done with diamonds embedded in the material with gold and platinum accents. (Sounds like a Subal housing sold to Paris Hilton on Rodeo Drive!)

Ike could make a little translucent name plate actually molded in the Lexan.

The Doctor's solution makes him worthy of some title like Sir Mustard :-)

Older Subal's used to have a plate on the back where you could fill in your name.

post-713-1204277914_thumb.jpg

Alex

so, do your other pieces of equipment say Catsup, Relish and Mayo? :P

Edited by hoovermd

DAN sent a bunch of labels to us last time we renewed. They're the small return address labels you usually use on mail. I think they'd fit inside battery compartments of strobes, on the TTL circuitry housing inside the Ike polycarbonate (on the bottom side if I can get it there, so it's visible from outside), etc.

No sense reinventing the wheel. If I need an external name somewhere that will be exposed to seawater, I figure a Sharpie should do just fine.

Steve,

I have been to 2 shootouts.There was never a problem with folks confusing housings.I used the old sharpie trick and never had any problems.

Have fun and good luck in Bonaire.

Michael :P

Thanks guys, I wasn't too worried about the housings, they are probably configured strangely enough to tell them apart. Although a label couldn't hurt. I was wondering about all the little stuff that can come up missing like lens covers and battery chargers and arms etc. that all look a like. I've never had a problem on the liveaboards we've been on but the shootout might be a whole different animal. I can definitely see a nice silver sharpie in my future. I guess I was hoping to hear about the secret Team Wetpixel brass plaque. :P

Steve

I labeled a filter once, but didn't care for the effect on image quality. :P

I labeled a filter once, but didn't care for the effect on image quality. :)

The reason why is you need an invisble ink type Sharpie, really helps with the issue. :P

Steve,

Some of the shops in the Philippines can get these nice 3M waterproof stickers made. I had a bunch made for our dive club members here in HK. Haven't seen them available outside of the Philippines though...

post-4907-1204544579_thumb.jpg

....Wow Lndr, they have Stainless Steel tape available, that's very cool. ....

Hey Steve,

maybe you could get one of the stainless/aluminium labelers and some self-adhesive tapes and offer labeling as a service to Wetpixel members...might pay for the unit and a couple of rolls of film on the side....well maybe a couple of airfills now your digital!

darren

The reason why is you need an invisble ink type Sharpie, really helps with the issue. :P

Unless it is a UV filter. :)

Alex

Hey Joe:

Thanks for the link to the labeling outfit. I missed out on the Subal custom engraving, so placed an order yesterday for the on-line product.

Cheers,

Dan

Sponsors

Advertisements