WaterMama

Mask with good vision

Hello

Can anyone suggest a decent mask with good vision. the generic one I have seems to fog up constantly.

Another basic question - I know - from an absolute beginner!

Cheers - Sarah

fogging: all new masks need a really good clean, some suggest toothpaste. Then each time before you are to use it (while it's still dry) do a giant golly on the inside glass surface and rub it around with your fingers, coating the entire glass surface, then gentle wash the golly out. Some people use a solution of baby shampoo and water instead of golly.

Best mask: there will be many answers to this. Everyone is different but I like a low volume mask, with a small distance between your eyes and the glass, lets you see a greater angle. I like a black mask so that stray light doesn't close down my pupils, thus making it easier to see into the dark viewfinder.

Very important: make sure it fits, different faces fit different masks.

Any good dive shop should have a good range to choose from and be able to help you with fit. I love my Oceanic Shadow.

Edited by photovan

fogging: all new masks need a really good clean, some suggest toothpaste. Then each time before you are to use it (while it's still dry) do a giant golly on the inside glass surface and rub it around with your fingers, coating the entire glass surface, then gentle wash the golly out. Some people use a solution of baby shampoo and water instead of golly.

Best mask: there will be many answers to this. Everyone is different but I like a low volume mask, with a small distance between your eyes and the glass, lets you see a greater angle. I like a black mask so that stray light doesn't close down my pupils, thus making it easier to see into the dark viewfinder.

Very important: make sure it fits, different faces fit different masks.

Any good dive shop should have a good range to choose from and be able to help you with fit. I love my Oceanic Shadow.

Thanks again Darren - always got the answers I need!!

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...mp;hl=best+mask

check out that thread .. there are a few others too .. but i think that was the most recent with the most amount of replies.

some great recomendations and advice.

Hi Giles

Thanks so much. That's plenty of info. It's so great that you experienced ones can still find the time to help us wanna bes.

Kind regards - Sarah

Hello

Can anyone suggest a decent mask with good vision. the generic one I have seems to fog up constantly.

Another basic question - I know - from an absolute beginner!

Cheers - Sarah

I like the Atomic masks for their clear glass, and (for me) comfortable fit. Black skirts of course. Lately, I've been using this one, the Subframe:

post-630-1204808638_thumb.jpg

A note about fogging though. I tried everything to get this mask to not fog ... toothpaste, scouring power, open flame to burn excess silicone. Still, it would fog intermittently, usually in the middle of a critical shot. Then I tried the 500 psi mask scrub. Not the defog, which is a different product, but the small container of mask scrub. Might have been a dollar or two at Divers Direct. Miracle stuff, and now the mask is a pleasure to dive.

I purchased the Mares Liquid skin mask when I first got my UW housing. It's a great mask but didnt work well with my viewfinder on my housing so I actually switched and purchased the Atomic frameless mask. It's a GREAT mask in my opinion. Extremely clear (once you break it in and rub enough toothpaste and defoger on it), very comfortable and easy to use while looking through a tiny viewfinder. Good luck!

Edited by Pacislander

but please do try one in the shop first: I wanted to buy an atomic frameless, but for me it didnt fit, since it pressed me badly on the nose (just where it joins the head).

I now have the Technisub Micromask, very low volume, very close to the face I think I can feel my eyelashes brushing the glass! This has given me a better field of view in the viewfinder than even the Atomic which I tried and liked.

Tim Digger

I use the atomic framless with ultra clear glass. Definatly try it on more than once cause I seems to fit very few people correctly.

They have a simular version, non framless though, but just as low volume without pressing into the bridge of your nose that seems to fit a wider variety of people. both are fantastic.

and yes, toothpaste and black skirts!

Hi,

What do you think about The HydroOptix MEGA 4.5 DD???? :)

I am looking for feedback…

Thanks

christophe

Montréal (CANADA) :lol:

Edited by chryster

As everybody say: go to the shop and try which mask fits your face. But get a:

1. Low volume mask with the glass close to the eyes

2. A mask with black/dark silicone that doesn't let light through

Most masks have a protective silicon layer on the glass when new. In order to get the "saliva antifog method" to work, you need to get rid of this layer. Sometimes it is easy, sometimes it is hard work, rubbing, scrubbing... You can also burn it off with a lighter.

good luck

Hi,

I am looking for feedback�€�

Thanks

christophe

Montréal (CANADA) :lol:

hows your vision?

the double dome works exactly the way a dome works on your camera lens. So that pretty much means if you have good vision, you wont be able to use it and see a damn thing. If you need +4.5 correction, then it will work fine for you.

The problem that you'll then find is in aiming strobes as your field of vision will show everything at the correct distance while your camera thinks its focusing on something much closer. Though to be fair, Ive never played with my camera and the mask at the same time so I don't know how big or small of a hindrance this is. There was a guy on a charter a few months back who let me check his out underwater...didn't take any pictures cause if your vision isnt JUST RIGHT for the mask its like instant vertigo.

-M

Christophe:

I've got one of the HydroOptix, and I like it a lot. For me the correction is just about right (my glasses have -4 diopter correction in one eye, -3.75 in the other plus another -0.5 astigmatism). With a regular flat-glass mask my vision is improved some just from the air/water index change, but still blurry enough to not be as pleasing, and above water of course I'm blind as a bat. With a corrective flat mask, I get an extreme 'magnification' effect. Everything is crystal clear underwater but I would actually have to 'dangle' my arm into my field of view a lot when swimming horizontal to see where I really was relative to the reef; when I thought I was only about a foot away I was actually 2-3 feet (That might also be because my corrective lenses were the right strength for above water, which made them too strong for underwater). And the correction on top of the flat mask effect really limited my FOV, so I was constantly scanning around looking for my buddy (my wife, who's idea of buddy system is "we got in at the same time, and I'll probably keep you roughly in site since you do the navigation back to the boat, so what else do you expect?" ...I think she knows how much I'm insured for! :rolleyes:)

I do notice a little 'eye strain' toward the end of a long dive day (5 dives) making me long-arm view my gauges a little, but the field of view correction is well worth it in my opinion. A few caveats though - the field of view comes at a price:

a. Field of view is great, but for night dives this is actually a bit of a detriment for me. With a lot of peripheral vision, you can see every other diver's dive light, all the time, and your night vision gets shot. I end up switching back to the flat mask for night dives.

b . As said above, "accomodation" or the ability to close-focus can be impaired after a while. Basically the optics are the same as your dome port, so if you don't have good near vision to begin with, you'll lose some with this mask. I have great near vision and can read my gauges right up next to my mask most of the time, but that degrades toward the end of the day. Again, not a big issue as my arms are long enough and my gauges and computer have big enough displays to see at arm length. :D

c. The mask will keep you from getting a viewfinder right up to your face. That's a big reason I was interested in liveview DSLR's like the E330...I plan on using the screen and LV all the time not an OVF.

d. The skirt is clear vs. black, which would also influence use of an optical viewfinder. But then again even if it was black, your peripheral vision is so improved it probably doesn't make a difference. As stated above I didn't find it influencing my use of my point-n-shoot's screen as my framing method, but then again as a complete beginner I probably just don't know what I'm missing.

e. Being polycarbonate (glass would be way too heavy for this size) the mask can scratch and fog a bit more. They do coat the interior with an antifog coating (do NOT toothpaste clean this mask or you have an instant diffuser!!!!!). You can use standard anti-fog type solutions to supplement the built-in coating. I found plain old baby shampoo seemed to work the best for me. After many dives in the same day without having time to let the mask 'dry out' that coating actually does feel 'soft' to the touch (it saturates with water a bit, like the hydrophilic permeable plastics they make contact lenses out of I think) so don't scratch it with a rough fingernail either!

f. Being 'domed' if you have a habit of swimming almost perfectly horizontal and looking 'down' and the mask seeps even a little, there will be a little bead of water rolling around in the bottom of the dome section right in front of your eyes. I found I did this more at night because I'd keep a bit more reef distance than during the day. If your body attitude is a little more angled (say 15-20 degrees) and you tend to angle your view up, the water drains into the purge valves just fine. I'm not a big fan of purge valves in masks by the way, and seriously considered just RTV-ing the heck out of these to seal them up, but haven't had a problem with them leaking even at 130fsw.

g. The mask is much higher volume. I did feel that the first dive or two - had to conciously exhale a bit thru my nose as I descended to compensate and avoid a face squeeze. But that becomes second nature almost instantly. I no longer really think that low or high volume matters in a mask, personally, as long as it doesn't become a fogging issue.

With all those comments, I can see why the mask hasn't caught on wider even among the optically impaired community. But don't get me wrong, I do love it. At the surface it's amazing that I don't "see" the refractive difference between air and water - a ladder going down into the water from the boat is straight, not 'bent' by the index change. It's just out of focus above water (because the air-dome-air gives me no correction for my nearsightedness) and in focus below. My arms are exactly the same length above water as under water, so when I do need to hand things off to a buddy, or grab a line, or whatever, it takes me no adjustment mentally at all. (For those of you with bad vision and corrective masks, you'll know what I mean...things aren't where you instinctively expect them to be unless your hand is in your view as well so you can compensate.) Getting this mask is probably what first made me realize how limiting my point-n-shoot camera (sans any wide-angle lens) really was, and made me start looking around to upgrade. I want to show others just how 'open' the diving scenery really feels to me, now that I've got it. But as with anything, it's an exercise in compromises.

To acco205: I think aiming might be easier, actually. You'll be aiming the strobes where you really want, since to your eyes and the camera behind the dome, things are going to be more the same than with you behind a flat mask and the camera not. But there are other tradeoffs related to use of viewfinders, etc. as stated above.

Hi,

What do you think about The HydroOptix MEGA 4.5 DD???? :rolleyes:

Thanks

christophe

Montréal (CANADA) :D

I also have this mask although I have stopped using it as its a pain having to put in contacts as my vision is still excellent. It is unfortunate as the field of view is awesome and this is by far the best mask on the market for periferal vison.

I would reccommend this mask to anyone with a 3.5 to 4.5 perscription as it is simply like diving without a mask as you cannot really see anything of the lens. I gave it to a 60 year old a few months ago to try and he couldn't believe the difference from his prescription mask.

Apparently they are working on 2 newer masks one of which doesn't require corrective contacts and can be used with 20/20 vision. :D

Hello....

Thank you very much for all information :D

I think I will keep my regular mask. :rolleyes:

Thank rtrski.

christophe.

Hi,

Thanks

christophe

Montréal (CANADA) :)

I have the HO mask also. I also went to the eye doctor, and got the correct contacts, to make it work correctly. The best vision underwater of all the mask I have tried. The only draw back, is the amount of stuff and protective cases that go with the mask. It is alot of stuff to carry on the dive boat, and a real problem packing for flying overseas.

Hi all,

Followed the links and did a bit of asearch - so far Atomic seems to be well thought of. Has anyone tried this mask - the Atomic Subframe ARC Lens mask - seems to be quite a 'bright' lens with black silicon mask body for extraneous light exclusion. Seems pretty expensive, though :unsure:

Sponsors

Advertisements