echeng

Paul Watson reportedly shot in chest by Japanese Coast Guard

A friend at Sea Shepherd just sent me this. They are uploading photos and video(s) soon. I hear there were flash grenades going off, too...

-----

From: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/03/07/2183690.htm

(a Google search will return tons of hits)

Sea Shepherd captain 'shot by Japanese whalers'

The Captain of the Sea Shepherd anti-whaling ship, the Steve Irwin, claims he has been shot by Japanese whalers during a confrontation in the Southern Ocean.

Paul Watson says members of his crew threw stink bombs aboard the whaling ship, the Nisshin Maru, and the Japanese responded by returning flash grenades.

He says one of his crew was hit by a grenade and received minor injuries.

Mr Watson says he then felt a thud in his chest and found a bullet lodged in his bullet-proof vest.

"... but it also came through and I have this badge and it hit the badge and bent that too so it just left a bruise really on my chest - so it could have - if I wasn't wearing the vest it could have been pretty serious," Mr Watson said.

He says even before shots were fired, the Japanese whalers were acting recklessly in their confrontation.

"We were doing what we usually do, which is putting stink bombs on deck," he said.

"We go out of our way to make sure we don't throw them near anybody, but they were throwing the flash grenades directly at us."

Mr Watson says there is no justification for the whalers opening fire.

...The Federal Government says it has received assurances that crew members on the Japanese whaling ship fired warning balls at the protesters, not gunshots.

Foreign Affairs Minister Stephen Smith says Japanese officials have told the Australian embassy in Tokyo that warning balls or flashbangs were fired at the ship.

The devices are designed to make a loud noise but not to injure.

Japan has also advised the Australian Embassy that a crew member on board the Japanese whaling boat fired a warning shot in the air.

----

PHOTOS:

Here are some photos of the Japanese Coast Guards tossing flash grenades, and the bullet that Paul found in his vest:

http://media.seashepherd2.org/2007-08_Antarctica.html#photos

and here:

http://www.seashepherd.org/migaloo/photos.html

Stay tuned here for more media: http://media.seashepherd2.org/

----

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE FROM SEA SHEPHERD

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – March 7, 2008

To Interview Captain Paul Watson on board the M/Y Steve Irwin

SAT Phone: (00) 870 764 685 972

International Pre-Fix 011 (From US) 0011 (From Australia)

Sea Shepherd Australia

Email: media@seashepherd.org

Sea Shepherd Conservation Society - U.S. Offices

Photos, video and additional information: http://media.seashepherd.org

JAPANESE OPEN FIRE ON SEA SHEPHERD CREW: THREE INJURED

Captain Paul Watson Shot in Chest; Cameraman and Crewmember Injured by Flash Grenades

At 1545 hours (0445 GMT), a clash between the crew of the Sea Shepherd vessel Steve Irwin and the Japanese whaling ship Nisshin Maru turned violent when the Japanese Coast Guard began to throw flash grenades at the crew of the Steve Irwin.

Captain Paul Watson was struck by a bullet in the chest. Fortunately, the bullet was stopped by his Kevlar vest. The bullet struck just above the heart and mangled Captain Watson’s anti-poaching badge, which was worn on his sweater underneath the Kevlar vest.

Dr. David Page was videotaped prying the bullet from Captain Watson’s Kevlar vest. “You have been hit by a bullet,” he said.

The Kevlar vest and anti-poaching badge effectively saved Captain Watson’s life.

Additional injuries were sustained by crewmembers Ashley Dunn and Ralph Lowe. Dunn, 35, from Launceston, Australia suffered a hip injury when he tried to get out of the way of the exploding grenades. Lowe, 33, from Melbourne, Australia received bruises to his back when one of the flash grenades exploded behind him.

The Japanese Coast Guard was retaliating against Sea Shepherd crewmembers for tossing rotten butter onto the decks to discourage their illegal whaling activities. The clash came after a week long pursuit by the Steve Irwin of the Nisshin Maru, in an effort to stop illegal whaling activities in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary.

Earlier in the day at 0800 hours (1900 GMT), the Steve Irwin had ordered the Nisshin Maru to leave French territorial waters. The Japanese whaler complied and turned around, heading back west into Australian waters.

The confrontation occurred inside the Australian Territorial Zone at the position of 63 Degrees, 41 Minutes South and 133 Degrees, 27 Minutes East.

Photos of the incident are available now on Sea Shepherd’s media site, and videos are currently being transmitted to Sea Shepherd’s headquarters. Videos will be posted immediately upon receipt.

It was matter of time before the Japanese retaliated to the acid attacks.

Being a skeptic, without having investigated this, 2 things come up to mind:

1. Why was Watson suddenly wearing a bullet proof vest on his boat? Was he expecting to get shot at? There's no thermal value with kevlar vests.

2. They have video of the flash grenades, but none of the apparent gunfire. Was it shrapnel from the flash grenade, which wouldn't be a flash grenade then because flash grenades are incapable of producing shrapnel, being designed as a non-lethal.

They must have a skilled marksmen as well since they hit him right in the heart area. Also a pretty low powered round since he didn't seem to suffer too much from the bullet hitting him. In the video, it seemed he didn't flinch much.

However, without accusing anyone, I find it VERY dubious and would insist on further information before condemning the Japanese. It would not be the first time events like these are fabricated for attention and disruption. However if they have video evidence, not designed for PR effect, I'd definitely like to see the Japanese arrested for attempted homicide.

Of course, the Japanese are denying they did anything other than the flash/bang "warning balls".

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23336322-2,00.html

Those silly stubborn Japanese are just digging themselves into more and more shit...

It's only a matter of time till they stop due to all the negativity it's creating towards Japan and the fact that at the end of the day they are not making any $$$

That did not look like a slug either, I think it was some flac.

Lucky he had the jacket on anyhow. :)

It's going to be pretty hard for the whalers to spin some bullshit story about this one. :lol:

They must have a skilled marksmen as well since they hit him right in the heart area.

surprised they didn't hit Watson in the head, consider how fat it's been gettting lately with all this coverage...

Just wondering: what would have been the political/diplomatic consequences if it really happened and if he was not wearing a bullet proof vest...?

Anyway, IMHO Sea Shepherd is doing a great job: the whaling season is almost over and the Japanese haven't even got half of their quota. The Japanese spent an awful lot of money and Sea Shepherd has successfully put a lot of attention globally to the cruelty of whaling. I think this would have been a different picture with only the efforts of Greenpeace and international diplomacy.

Cheers

Vincent

surprised they didn't hit Watson in the head, consider how fat it's been gettting lately with all this coverage...

No need for insults, Mike. His cause is a good one, but his methods are not in my book. He has however gained a lot of weight over the years, but don't most men as they age? :)

It's only a matter of time till they stop due to all the negativity it's creating towards Japan and the fact that at the end of the day they are not making any $$$

It's going to be pretty hard for the whalers to spin some bullshit story about this one.

Only if it's not a conjured up spin in the first place. In case anyone else is wondering, I still don't see why he was wearing a bullet proof vest. Listen, I'm sure everyone knows that it's easy to create news to disrupt the activities. He'll never have to back it up in court nor will he since he started throwing acid at the whalers in the first place.

Again, if the Japanese coast guard officers have unscoped pistols, they'd be fantastic marksmen to hit somebody over 30 yards away with such accuracy as the chest area behind semi cover. If it's shrapnel, it can't be from the flash/bang 'warning balls', which are made not to produce shrapnel. In the video, none of those balls impacted the Steve Irwin, and there were injuries. Just like 'none of those butyric acid bottles landed near anyone', and there were japanese injuries.

You also have to consider that it just solidifies the nationalistic tendencies that work AGAINST the ending of whaling in Japan. In Norway, which is also a whaling nation with a higher quota for minkes whales, and where Watso is still wanted for crimes committed. Did scuttling 3 ships do ANYTHING to stop whaling in Norway? All it did was raise Norwegian nationalism. Let's be realistic about how effective this sort of publicity in the countries where it does matter. In the end, if you want to pick a bone, pick on the Norwegians who continue to hunt outside of IWC guidelines under 'objection'. The Japanese are conducting dubious but 'legal' whaling.

Sea Shepherd is doing a great job: the whaling season is almost over and the Japanese haven't even got half of their quota. The Japanese spent an awful lot of money and Sea Shepherd has successfully put a lot of attention globally to the cruelty of whaling. I think this would have been a different picture with only the efforts of Greenpeace and international diplomacy

It's disconcerting that the noise makers claim and get the credit for the hard work of others. There are a number of reasons why the Japanese didn't get their quota. GreenPeace was also around for a month or more. Then you also have to factor in the whalers own decision not to try so hard and weather and all sorts of other factors. The Norwegians just made half their quota also, mainly because they knew they had no market. The quota is just a number to stake claim to.

We all hear about how a couple of actors braved the Taiji fishermen, but hardly a ripple about a Japanese dolphin/whaler who stopped his hunt to start a cetacean viewing business in 2002!

Somehow, media manipulation has taken over real results. The Australian government photographs the Japanese as evidence and the IWC stopped international whaling effectively in 86, saving humpbacks, right and other whales from certain extinction. That is international diplomacy at work. Let's give credit where credit is due and not lose all sense in the hype.

I am dissapppointed to see those who are so apposed to Sea Shepherd's methods jump to the defense of the Japanese whalers when they lob flash grenades and shoot bullets that hit Paul Watson in the chest.

I suppose real acts of violence are OK when they agree with one's viewpoint? I would suggest to all those who claim to adhere to "non-violent" means of protest, that they be consistent in this claim.

Pakman...a man was shot and this was this was your response? I hope you think more next time before you respond...please.

If i had the money I'd buy the sea shepherd deck guns to shoot back... I'm getting fed up with all the excuses and I don't care who is at it.. they all have to grow up pull their head out their arse and stop it... Japan first Norway second whoever third...who knows Japanese are getting it first though..

Sea Shepherd and Green peace are risking life and limb on the frontline out there so we namby pamby cameras can film these beautiful animals (well not only for that reason)... So at least we can do is give them our support...

Dive safe

DeanB

[Edited by Moderator for offensive language.]

Shawn

Who's defending the whalers? I don't see anyone's comments in defense of the whalers.

If you are referring to my comments, I don't think I'm defending the whalers at all. It's just a natural escalation when someone feels they are under attack. Of course throwing any kind of incendiary/explosive device (whether it is devoid of shrapnel or not) can be dangerous and condemnable, but so is using butyric acid. Don't take my word. Put some in your eye and see how it feels. According to Japanese reports, 3 people were injured with those projectiles (granted that pictures of these injuries have never been shown, but they may not exist unlike the media show on the SS side). Justified or not, they will defend themselves against attack, just as you or I would. One cannot expect to keep kicking somebody and expect them to take it just because it's popular to do so. That makes no sense. This is an unfortunate escalation. When you use non-violent tactics, and the opponent uses violence, you have a moral victory. Once you escalate to projectiles (albeit with 'non-violent' intentions), you have to expect the other side will respond sooner or later.

I just find the evidence of the gunshot to be at least inconclusive and dubious. To hit a person (even someone big like Paul) with a single shot from a moving ship at another moving ship and hit his chest has to be an exceptional feat, especially with a pistol and the target being behind some cover, and the shot being made at the same time as a bang going off. Not to mention the round David pried out of the vest is pretty darn big for a pistol round. If it were a rifle round, he'd have been knocked back a little at least from the pain of impact (yes no movie magic here... no one is suppose to fall back 3 yards from being hit by a bullet) instead of acting in wonderment calmly examining himself. I also wonder why he would wear a kevlar vest. The last time he claimed he was shot at was in Costa Rica in the 90s. There have been no instances of the Japanese brandishing guns at the boats in all these years. Again this is highly suspicious to me. Of course he could've put it on when the Japanese first started throwing their devices. But somehow I doubt that.

If he has been genuinely shot and they have the bullet to match ballistics on the Japanese Coast Guard gun, I'm sure they can submit it to the Australian authorities who will use it as proof for prosecution. I'm sure they can't submit it to the Japanese police because they'd also be arrested for piracy.

Bottomline, do I believe that both sides wouldn't hesitant use media to pull fluff over the public's eyes to manipulate public opinion? Yes I do. Do I believe Sea Shepherds are better at it? With the preparation of satellite transmissions and production crew on board, I definitely think so. Looking at the NZ guy the ICR hired as spokesman, it's not very hard really.

If i had the money I'd buy the sea shepherd deck guns to shoot back... I'm getting fed up with all the excuses and I don't care who is at it.. they all have to grow up pull their head out their arse and stop it...

hear hear

I have to call BS on the expert marksman theory. One it was a lucky shot or two the story is a fabrication. Shot at or not, the pictures of the Japanese coast guard in riot gear most likely means the end of whaling for them.

We all hear about how a couple of actors braved the Taiji fishermen, but hardly a ripple about a Japanese dolphin/whaler who stopped his hunt to start a cetacean viewing business in 2002!

I would love to see a story about this!

I know I plugged it somewhere in another whaling or dolphin killing thread.

http://www.bluevoice.org/sections/dolphins/watch.shtml

Just google Izumi Ishii and futo dolphin watching. He's still the only one doing it amid the continuing dolphin trade that goes on.

I have to call BS on the expert marksman theory. One it was a lucky shot or two the story is a fabrication. Shot at or not, the pictures of the Japanese coast guard in riot gear most likely means the end of whaling for them.

MDB, I was trying to be nice about it. :rolleyes: I do think the highly dubious nature of the alleged shot calls to question the credibility of Paul Watson( whose ability to embellish is legendary) and Sea Shepherd, where the organization's reputation would be on the line. I suspect they will milk this publicity and not pursure any official complaint because they'd have to prove it and I doubt they have the evidence.

The japanese crew wearing protective gear and gas mask isn't unexpected but rather prudent, considering how many acid bottles have been thrown at them and injuring a few (again claimed but no real proof).

japanesewhalers460.jpg

Looking at this picture, there isn't any weapon drawn and it looks like a revolver, probably a .38 they have. If they did shoot, why stop at one person? To make a martyr out of Watson and really have no leg to stand on in the international arena? It's a lose lose situation no matter how they spin it. With the IWC vote coming up, it makes no sense for the Japanese to use deadly force.

However, for SS, there is no reason why they wouldn't fabricate such a story. They have the resources to broadcast footage from the boat well edited and they have the expertise to spin it well and need the exposure. No such thing as bad publicity. Conversely the Japanese are VERY slow with their video release and also very quiet with their injuries (if they had any, they should really release some photos etc).Seriously, if you're not after 'dramatic' shots, why would you point a camera at someone who's been hit in the eye with acid? I'd love to see what that camera held by the coast guard shows.

I personally will not allow my emotions to run with this issue. It does nothing for the issue at hand.

Sea Shepherd has had an independent film crew onboard, filming on behalf of Animal Planet, since the beginning of the campaign. In a statement issued today from Silver Springs, Maryland, the network said: “The events that have taken place were all captured by Animal Planet's producers and will be presented through the documentary series WHALE WARS, slated for U.S. broadcast this fall. Animal Planet is thankful that all parties to these conflicts over the last three months to-date are safe and unharmed. The network will showcase these events with a strong journalistic lens that spotlights this global conservation issue that has several nations at odds over the practice of whaling in oceanic territories.â€

Animal Planet might also have some coverage on the bullet incident. IMHO I don't believe Animal Planet would cooperate with Sea Shepherd for making up such a story. Anyway, Sea Shepherd should indeed come with more proof, if they want to make this case.

He insisted Watson's claims that he had been shot were deliberately made to mislead the media. "Sea Shepherd knows how to twist the truth, it's like an ocean-going Joseph Goebbels," Inwood said.

What is this: Whale War II?

I highly doubt that the Sea Shepherd would fabricate the whole thing, because those things have a tendency to come out eventually.

It doesnt look like a bullet to me, but more like shrapnel. Obviously that would be a new level of violence by the Japanese to protect their precious whaling fleet.

cor

At this point do we launch into debate of the credibility of Animal Planet? Come on guys. If anyone has the least credibility, it is the "Center for Cetacean Research" that slaughters 1000 whales to conduct "science". If anyone is the most likely to grossly distort the truth, it is this group. Again, I read the attacks on Paul Watson for using "violent" means but as soon as the Japanese Whalers escalate to truly violent acts (flash grenades and bullets), complex theories are drummed up about how this can't be true. I guess Animal Planet is on Paul's payroll now. Maybe even the whales are in on it too :rolleyes:

At this point do we launch into debate of the credibility of Animal Planet? Come on guys. If anyone has the least credibility, it is the "Center for Cetacean Research" that slaughters 1000 whales to conduct "science".

I fully agree with you Shawn, but the more transparent and credible Sea Shepherd makes its case against the Japanese Whalers, the better... Unfortunately there are a lot of people that see Sea Shepherd as Eco terrorists.

At this point do we launch into debate of the credibility of Animal Planet? Come on guys. If anyone has the least credibility, it is the "Center for Cetacean Research" that slaughters 1000 whales to conduct "science". If anyone is the most likely to grossly distort the truth, it is this group.

Not sure if it is doubting Animal Planet or not. Their statement does not really state that Watson WAS shot by the Japanese. Part of it is that a press release has to be careful in using "allegedly" and the rest. Also the statement does not cast Sea Shepherd Society in a positive light - "The organization uses unconventional and radical methods to eradicate controversial whaling operations." Again that is probably more to help drum up interest in the series than trying to be an indictment.

The statement does say

“The events that have taken place were all captured by Animal Planet's producers and will be presented through the documentary series WHALE WARS, slated for U.S. broadcast this fall.â€

If they have captured the shooting they should release this now if it clearly shows Watson was shot. Though it is being filmed for a series, this may (subject to some things mentioned below) help out with the anti-whale hunting cause.

As to the credibility of the "Center for Cetacean Research†I do not think anyone believes they are engaging in science and things they say need to be taken with a big grain of salt.

Again, I read the attacks on Paul Watson for using "violent" means but as soon as the Japanese Whalers escalate to truly violent acts (flash grenades and bullets), complex theories are drummed up about how this can't be true.

Watson said in the past he had found the AFP to be impartial in their dealings with Sea Shepherd, but he would provide the bullet for analysis if they requested it.

"Last year after Japan accused Sea Shepherd of ramming one of their whaling boats, the Australian Federal Police did a forensic investigation.

"We heard nothing of the results because the investigation could only have determined that the Japanese had rammed the Sea Shepherd vessel.

"Of course no action was taken against Japan," he said.

The Japanese asked for the bullet to be turned over to the Australian Federal Police, Watson said he is willing to do so, so he might as well (though he did cast doubt on the AFP in his statement.) The Japanese admit they used flash grenades but deny shooting Watson. No matter how much I loathe whale hunting, if in fact they did not shoot at Watson and this can be verified, it should come out, though I am not sure it will change things one way or another - some of the Sea Shepherd’s prior actions may appear too radical. If people were not turned off by the boarding of the ships and the rest, I doubt they will be put off if in fact this was a stunt. If someone found out this was a stunt, will it change how they feel about what Sea Shepherd is doing or make them more sympathetic to the "Center for Cetacean Research� What if shots were in fact fired, will it change how people feel?

Other threads have discussed whether the end justifies the means on various actions taken and I am not really discussing those aspects though there is always the risk that some actions can become fodder for FOX News or outlets with similar leanings (Not saying they have done so yet, but I can just picture Hannity or O’Reilly discussing these things. Many people listen to what they think.)

I guess Animal Planet is on Paul's payroll now. Maybe even the whales are in on it too :D

Not sure about Animal Planet, but no doubt the whales are on the take :rolleyes:

Animal Planet might also have some coverage on the bullet incident. IMHO I don't believe Animal Planet would cooperate with Sea Shepherd for making up such a story. Anyway, Sea Shepherd should indeed come with more proof, if they want to make this case.

Animal Planet is a channel about animals. The point of the program is to highlight SS struggle against the big bad whaling fleet. I doubt it is going to be the source of unbiased journalistic integrity, otherwise they'd be on board one of the marus as well. That said, you are absolutely right about the need for proof about a bullet, which are serious allegations of attempted homicide against the japanese, vs assault with a weapon via the acid bottles.

Eco terrorism is a term made up by naysayers. I think it is perfectly ok to chain oneself to a tree or block a harpoon. However, projectiles and trespass are beyond the scope of non-violent resistance. So is hammering wood boards on the side of a boat or fouling propellers. It is no better than using water cannons on people in high seas in remote areas where survival is counted in minutes.

Then there are the claims of tracking devices planted while on board the ships, which is great if they managed it but then that would mean it was planned all along as a stunt to trespass and be held.

I highly doubt that the Sea Shepherd would fabricate the whole thing, because those things have a tendency to come out eventually.

It doesnt look like a bullet to me, but more like shrapnel. Obviously that would be a new level of violence by the Japanese to protect their precious whaling fleet.

Yes it would be, Cor, an unfortunate escalation of violence being perpetuated by both sides. It was a matter of time before that would happen, with the acid throwing, trespassing, ship blocking etc. The odds of a thunderflash having shrapnel is also pretty low due to the design. Which is why I doubt the veracity of the report. And such a fabrication can be actually very easily hidden. If they don't hand over evidence citing biase of the AFP or whichever authority, it will never be actually known. I mean it's obvious from the photos that the JCG are carrying a holster with what looks like a revolver. Even if it is 'just' shrapnel, then the Japanese will have a lot to answer for.

At this point do we launch into debate of the credibility of Animal Planet? Come on guys. If anyone has the least credibility, it is the "Center for Cetacean Research" that slaughters 1000 whales to conduct "science". If anyone is the most likely to grossly distort the truth, it is this group. Again, I read the attacks on Paul Watson for using "violent" means but as soon as the Japanese Whalers escalate to truly violent acts (flash grenades and bullets), complex theories are drummed up about how this can't be true.

The Institute of Cetacean Research is obviously hunting whales under the auspices of JARPA I and II. It's a sham loophole that everybody knows about. I mean 5 hunting boats and 1 mother ship to do research? I would hope cetacean research was really that supported. They only ever released 43 research paper in all those years of research (eg.comparing whales to pigs is one paper)

And the escalation of violence is very true and no one has denied that. Provocation for that escalation cannot be denied either. I don't see your point? Seeing you know my history in conservation, I think you are really barking up the wrong tree. I just won't blindly follow anyone's claims without proof.

The Japanese already lost a moral battle with this sham hunt. How does it help to throw acid at them, foul propellers and blocking drainage with nail guns? Why don't they do that in EU waters against the Norwegians? Because they'd be arrested in 5 minutes by any one of the EU countries.

And the escalation of violence is very true and no one has denied that. Provocation for that escalation cannot be denied either. I don't see your point? Seeing you know my history in conservation, I think you are really barking up the wrong tree. I just won't blindly follow anyone's claims without proof.

I agree with Drew. I don't believe anything I read if no credible evidence is supplied, but I also try not to vehemently claim that I don't believe (given the same situation).

Forensics can figure all of this out. Let's just hope that Watson turns the evidence over to Australian authorities.

Eric, I agree with you on that. I wanted to highlight the inconsistencies of the claims before the usual hammering of the Japanese began.

Speaking of hammering the Japanese. According to a buddy of mine who is in the firearms industry, flashbang grenades (the JCG called them warning balls) depending on how old the design is can cause serious burns on exposed skin due to the heat element. Also the older designs had the fuse fly out like a projectile. These things can hurt someone if exploded in close proximity of someone (2m is the recommended distance from a person the device can be used), causing burns and also damage from the explosion. Newer designs minimize these effects but are still considered very dangerous. The good news is that there should be some sort of canister left from these devices so SS can submit this as evidence. The projectile pulled out of the vest did not look like a fuze.

Whatever it was, the Japanese have escalated this confrontation to new heights with the use of flashbang devices, which had potentially very serious injuries. However, the JCG hopefully did train their personnel to use them correctly.

yaaaaawn

Based on my sources, this was a bullet. Furthermore this was not fabricated or a media stunt. An unidentified gunman shot Paul from a hidden location on the Japanese vessel. If it were not for the fact that Paul had taken to wearing an armor vest because of prior threats on his life, he would likely be dead. The Japanese have obviously taken this to next level and Paul's precaution was smart. The next shot will be a head shot you can be sure. So, say what you will about Sea Shepherds tactics, they certainly don't use snipers to try and kill their opponents.

If it was indeed a bullet then it could of quite easily hit him in the head as there is no way you can be that accurate from a moving ship.

I loved how they placed a tracking device on that ship....classic... :rolleyes:

Sponsors

Advertisements