echeng

Paul Watson reportedly shot in chest by Japanese Coast Guard

Sorry, I only stop in Port Edward for a bathroom break... you don't have any nice restaurants there. :)

I should add when I mean knock a person back, I mean a few feet.

Cor, where did you get any new stories? Last I heard they denied it. There was some confusion when Stew Smith reported they fired warning shots, but that was a miscommunication. The Aussies clarified the statement later. The japanese admitted to throwing warning balls, not warning shots. It must be Inwood's accent LOL.

Nonsens ! Yes , read it again " Nonsens !!!!

If you are shot with a high calibre rifle , as the slug he shows suggests , wearing a Kevlar , the force is so high that you will be lifted off your feet and experience flight yourself. ...

from www.mythbustersresults.com Myth busted, sorry.... http://mythbustersresults.com/episode25

"REVISITED: A body struck by a bullet will be propelled violently backwards. (From episode 25)

re-busted

Even a .50 Caliber bullet does not have the momentum to knock a person backwards. If it were possible, the shooter would be knocked backwards as well - as per Newton’s Third Law."

Looking at the low res images, the bullet showed mushrooming typical of a semi-jacketed lead or pure lead hollow point pistol round.

I was a gun nut for years prior to the more passive pursuits of diving and photography, have shot handgun calibers from .22 to .38/.357 to .45.

Stu

Thanks Stu but even those guys have it wrong I think. I don't think it's newton's 3rd law. If my high school physics doesn't desert me, I believe the action/reaction has to occur at the same instance. Whereas the bullet hitting the target happens later than when the bullet is ignited and the resulting recoil. The recoil begins at the time the bullet is fired. The recoil is a product of the hot gas expansion and the resulting force to propel the bullet. Since the only thing that hits the target is the bullet and not the hot gases, plus the air resistance from travelling from gun to target, the momentum is less than when it leaves the gun.

I'm probably talking out of my butt but I had this FBI guy explain it to me years ago. He was complaining about bad movie physics. Still Emaltorio's description of the impact on the body seem to be accurate. Kevlar only deforms the bullet but not the momentum. The bruising etc should be there.

[Edit]

I just googled body armor and found this gem:

http://www.ecvv.com/product/vp981333/China...or-type-H2.html

Our body armor have very excellent performance in defense of steel-cord bullets, UV irradiation (preventing from aging), internal injury and moisture. Besides, our body armor have other advantages, such as no ricochet, easy to store, long usage life and so on. With a light weight, the body armor wear very comfortable.

Premature aging protection too! WOW :)

Hi Drew,

I was simply responding to his comment "the force is so high that you will be lifted off your feet and experience flight yourself"

Yes, bruising etc will be present even when wearing a kevlar vest, it simply protects you from penetration. If someone were to hit you with a hammer even when wearing a basic kevlar vest, it would still hurt. You'd likely double over from the pain as well. Though I think given the choice ...folks would rather be hit by a hammer than shot. The Mythbusters simply prove that no bullet fired from a typical hand holdable firearm (and they used the Barrett 50cal rifle) would be capable of lifting a person (especially someone the size of P.W. :) ) off their feet. I saw that episode and they shot at a 100+ lb pig carcass from less than 10 yards. The carcass simply moved a smidge!

Regardless, this is still inexcusable, I learned long ago to never point a gun, from BB to powder burner at anyone unless you're intending to hurt them...or worse. :)

s.

Regardless, this is still inexcusable, I learned long ago to never point a gun, from BB to powder burner at anyone unless you're intending to hurt them...or worse

Well the issue is whether the Japanese did or not. Throwing flashbangs is already bad enough.

Well , Port Edward may be your Piss -stop , but its my paradise , brew!

Good diving , fishing , sunshine etc, Make a stop I will show you around

Thanks, brew. I have based myself in the 'other' PE before. But the viz was too bad for the sards.

But it's a lot more civilized than in the EC.

Wish I would have been around when this thread started. I’ve been out diving for quite some time and it takes me a while to get into blogging like this...

Sorry to re-open this thread, though I wanted to throw in my tuppence on this too as I believe quite strong in what Paul is doign and has done!

First and foremost I' shocked to read some of the comments here, especially PACMAN and his Paul Watson's big head these days comment.

I don't think anyone agrees with Pauls methods, however who else has done as much as this guy to bring to light many of the big issues in the oceanic environment we all love so much?

If it weren't for this guy there would be far less media coverage on ilegal whaling and the likes...

I've met Paul Watson on two occasions and he seems an honest fellow. Perhaps I am easily persuaded, but he convinced me that he's doing the right thing, that he has asked to be arrested and that foreign countries refuse to do so. I've met Rob Stuart (Sharkwater) and perhaps he is young and impressionable, but he seems to like Paul Watson after having gone through some pretty hairy moments with him, filming the movie.

The bottom line is that all whaling and shark fishing will end when there are too few of the animals to hunt profitably. Paul Watson has had an emotional connection to animals, including whales, which makes it impossible for him to sit still when he knows there is something that can be done about it. If there are international treaties banning the killing, so much the better, he can feel justified as being an international police officer enforcing international treaties.

Are there better ways to solve the problem? Of course. There is a better way to do anything. The trick is to find it. Until then, people do what they can, and he is really putting himself on the line doing something about something he believes in, and he's never killed or gotten anybody killed, doing it.

Before criticizing the man, of course, ask yourself what you are doing to solve the problem. Eventually there may be no problem to solve because of extinction. Until then, some believe action is required rather than more and more talk.

By the way, movies such as Sharkwater may in fact do a lot more for raising awareness than Paul Watson's activities, but there has to be a combination of awareness (to change behavior and laws) and action. That's why it was so cool to have Watson and Stuart together in the movie.

One Diver's Perspective.

I don't think anyone agrees with Pauls methods...

I do!

It was matter of time before the Japanese retaliated to the acid attacks.

Being a skeptic, without having investigated this, 2 things come up to mind:

1. Why was Watson suddenly wearing a bullet proof vest on his boat? Was he expecting to get shot at? There's no thermal value with kevlar vests.

2. They have video of the flash grenades, but none of the apparent gunfire. Was it shrapnel from the flash grenade, which wouldn't be a flash grenade then because flash grenades are incapable of producing shrapnel, being designed as a non-lethal.

They must have a skilled marksmen as well since they hit him right in the heart area. Also a pretty low powered round since he didn't seem to suffer too much from the bullet hitting him. In the video, it seemed he didn't flinch much.

However, without accusing anyone, I find it VERY dubious and would insist on further information before condemning the Japanese. It would not be the first time events like these are fabricated for attention and disruption. However if they have video evidence, not designed for PR effect, I'd definitely like to see the Japanese arrested for attempted homicide.

Of course, the Japanese are denying they did anything other than the flash/bang "warning balls".

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23336322-2,00.html

I agree with Drew, a direct shot at that distance from a standard rifle would cause some nice bruising on his chest. It could be a ricochet, that would explain the low power of the impact [but it looks . I think Sea Shepherd has to release the so called bullet and vest for independent analysis, it doesn't look very credible as is.

Well Whale Wars is out and being broadcast on Animal Planet in the US. For those who can't watch it (get slingbox people :))

here is an episode guide:

http://animal.discovery.com/tv/whale-wars/episode/

This is of course Animal Planet's interpretation (afterall editing if done cleverly can make the queen lose her temper) but the clips do show what has been thought of Paul Watson's tactical media feeding antics. Can't wait for the gunshot episode :monkey:

That's great, thanks Drew. I went and saw Paul Watson talk last week, and he mentioned this series. We won't get it till next year here though.

The Sea Shepherd leaves next month from Brisbane for the Antarctic, let's hope everything goes well for them. Whereas Greenpeace have decided not to go down to the Antarctic this Summer (even thoguh they've been collecting donations for it all year).

Well, since 2 of GP's members are on trial in Japan for exposing the whaling scam, I can't think of a better way to get better Japanese exposure than in the Japanese press without the nationalistic jargon. These are 2 japanese men on trial. The stakes are much higher than sending a fleet of protesters in the Antarctic. Win the legal argument in Japan and the program will be weakened. Confront the fleet with force and you raise nationalistic tendencies. I know which organization I support this winter. I also know which one is much less carbon emissive. :)

One of our own is on the boat this time as well so I also hope nothing happens. But seeing how the Esperanza gave the S.Irwin the fleet's location this year, it'll be interesting to see what happens on that end.

Sponsors

Advertisements