Sign in to follow this  
vincentkneefel

Earthlings

Hi,

I would very much like to recommend the following documentary: Earthlings. You can watch it here.

EARTHLINGS is a feature length documentary about humanity's absolute dependence on animals (for pets, food, clothing, entertainment, and ... Tout » scientific research) but also illustrates our complete disrespect for these so-called "non-human providers." The film is narrated by Academy Award nominee Joaquin Phoenix (GLADIATOR) and features music by the critically acclaimed platinum artist Moby.

Cheers

Vincent

ps. Some images are quite shocking...

Edited by vincentkneefel

i still haven't seen it but it turned a couple of my friends vegan and others vegetarian. must be quite unsettling.....

It is definitely thought provoking; but avoids one important point. The video's whole premise that all animal/beings are essentially equivalent earthlings therefore we should not eat them - yet animals eat each other all the time, with stronger more powerful animals preying on the weaker. Similarly, interspecies aggression, turf wars etc areall part of the natural world. So I find the argument confused, on the one hand promoting the concept that it is unethical to eat or otherwise dominate animals, yet on the other arguing that our ethical standards should conform with the natural order of things.

Edited by loftus

I think a better point to this would be to treat animals more humanely. Shock video are very affective to people but they join the cause for the wrong reasons. I think if you make people understand (As with shark finning) that some things are barbaric and unnecessary we will end up saving many more animals.

The real problem is the overpopulation of humans. What we do is not wrong (eating other animals), many species do this. What is wrong is that we have let our numbers go unchecked so that in the end we consume so much that all other species will and are suffering. This is the real problem. Who has a solution to this? Dont stop eating meat. Stop having children, this would be a more logical decision.

Population control is a tricky subject. As enlightened humans we can do it (i dont plan on having kids maybe one)

But who are you to say your neighbor cant have any? or even worse the government?

- yet animals eat each other all the time,

They need to see the video. Then they will stop.

The real problem is the overpopulation of humans.

Perhaps the last believer in Paul Ehrlich's "The Population Bomb"?

Humans are better off as omnivores. Whether we treat animals cruelly or manage food supplies is a separate issue.

complete disrespect for these so-called "non-human providers."

Disrespect? I would think it would be impossible for a carnivore to not be considered disrespectful under any circumstance.

Deep Ecology have never really lost the anthropomorphic undertones and thus never appealed to me. Off the top of my head, I can think of over 10 mammalian species which play with their food or are wasteful with what they have.

In the natural world, some species proliferate to the point of critical mass then die off when food is scarce. It's just that humans are so darn good at surviving that being the top dog of the food chain is easy. The good news is we have the opportunity to manage our resources and even appreciate the view sometimes. Hopefully that'll be enough to ensure we do that for the survival of the species for future generations before some asteroid decimates everything and the roaches become dominant. :D

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements