Sign in to follow this  
rnelsonscuba

A570IS settings

I just purchased a Canon A570IS, Canon housing and INON D2000s strobe. I have been reading instructions I am wondering what a good starting point would be. Should I shoot AV, TV or manual? If I shoot manual, do I need to add the magnet to the strobe and shoot it manual as well? I have a trip coming up next week and am getting excited to play in the water with the camera. Unfortunately I have not had much time to use the camera on land to try all the options.

Congrats on your purchase! Yes you do need to put the magnet in. Set the strobe to manual. Put your camera in manual mode with the internal flash power down to 1/3 (this will reduce the recycle time to 2-3 seconds). If you forget to turn the internal flash down your looking at 7-9 second recycle times.

Set your iso in the 80-200 range no higher (I use 100)

1/100 f/7 for a start for macro

1/100 f/6,5,4 for a start for WA

Others may have more specific settings to start out. Those above are from The Underwater Photographer book.

Match your camera f stop setting with the strobe setting and shoot. One hint for you. Set your playback mode to show you the histogram. Take a image and then switch to playback and check your exposure.

Have fun!

Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for the advice. I can't wait to get wet and play with the system. I am used to my Nikonos 5 and waiting to get home before seeing the results.

Match your camera f stop setting with the strobe setting and shoot. One hint for you. Set your playback mode to show you the histogram. Take a image and then switch to playback and check your exposure.

Have fun!

Jeff

Jeff,

this person said they had the D2000S.

Don't you need external auto mode to do what you're describing?

I'm trying to decide between the D2000 & D2000S for my F30 setup so I want to understand it clearly.

Chris

Jeff,

this person said they had the D2000S.

Don't you need external auto mode to do what you're describing?

I'm trying to decide between the D2000 & D2000S for my F30 setup so I want to understand it clearly.

Chris

Chris, glad you caught that. rnelsonscuba needs to read the pdf document at Inon America under D2000s. The one change would be whether his camera has a pre-flash or not. This determines the magnet issue. Other than the magnet issue manual mode with the D2000s is straight forward. Adjust at the strobe and then at the camera if necessary. External Auto is sensing the light and fine tuning the flash.

Thanks for catching my mistake.

Jeff

Just wanted to make sure Captain Morgan wasn't talking to me when I last set up my camera. Took a quick few minutes and it is spot on as I described. Magnet in, manual mode camera and strobe, match the f/stop, internal flash set to 1/3 and it's spot on. Magnet out and I have no control over strobe power. Recycle time are quick! :lol:

Jeff

I am shooting my 570IS now mostly in Av on the mode wheel, in the menu set internal flash to manual and then to 1/3 power. I then set my Inon D2000 with the magnet installed and strobe set to external auto--EXTERNAL AUTO---jus to be clear--not MANUAL. I get good results that way. You can shoot the D2000 in manual but why not use the External Auto? I am still working through thses settings. I have also shot the camera, (magnet removed--supposedly does not matter in this mode because the circuit is cancelled), internal strobe on auto, mode wheel in auto or P and D2000 in S-TTl.

Right now I get best results in Av, internal flash to 1/3 (or off for no flash shooting), D2000 with magnet in hole and set to External Auto.

cd

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements