james

Tamron 70-200 f2.8 Macro

What's the maximum size of the inside of the Ike port and how fat can the lens be at the zoom gear location?

Cheers

James

After more checks seems that the sad answer is not :D

From Ike's site: Maximum lens diameter is limited to 8.4cm (3.3").

The max diameter of the Tamron is bigger: 90mm (3.5").

The lens review has been posted on DPreview.com:

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/tamron_70-200_2p8_c16/

From the review, it sounds like it can produce excellent images (at apertures other than wide open), but that its weakness is in AF accuracy/speed. While that might be a problem for sports photography, it's not a fatal flaw for uw use. However, I would think you'd want to be able to manually focus it, i.e., have a MF ring to tweak the focus on macro subjects, rather than using it in AF mode alone. Is that a reasonable conclusion to draw from the review, James?

(Oh, and where's YOUR review!? :P )

Edited by bmyates

Hi Bruce,

I found the AF adequate when used on my 1D series body. It wasn't any worse than the 100mm macro lens for example. I shot the lens primarily at f11-f13 and found it to be extremely sharp, so my experience is similar to the reviewer.

The lens has the lame Tamron AF/MF shift collar, so you can't shoot it in AF with full time manual over-ride. It's not a USM lens - Meaning you're stuck shooting it in one or the other. I shot it in AF using the * button for focus. I didn't feel that MF was necessary, but if switching is a requirement, then I recommend trying the Sigma which I think operates as a true USM lens.

Cheers

James

...The lens has the lame Tamron AF/MF shift collar, so you can't shoot it in AF with full time manual over-ride. It's not a USM lens - Meaning you're stuck shooting it in one or the other...

So with the * button for AF, you just have to use the "move back and forth slightly" method of fine tuning? That's OK - that's what I do a lot anyway! :P That would also eliminate the need/cost of having a MF ring...hmmm

I haven't looked at the Sigma - if it's comparable in other ways, but allows MF override, that would certainly be a consideration...can I ask why you chose the Tamron over the Sigma?

Edited by bmyates

Hi Bruce,

I used a 100mm USM macro Seacam focus gear as the zoom gear on my Tamron. I had to use some shims as the gear ID was slightly (1mm on each side) too large.

I chose the Tamron because it was available, and because I have tried and like their 180mm macro. It also looked a little thinner. I'm sure the Sigma is a good lens too.

Cheers

James

Hi James,

Have you got your Phillipines gallery up yet?

I would love to see some more images from the big Tamron...

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Not yet - But I did finish remodeling the kitchen - woohoo! Now I have to move everything back in there. Then maybe I'll process some more pix - lol.

Cheers

James

DPreview have just posted their review of the Sigma 70-200 Macro:

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma_70-200_2p8_n15/

How does it compare to the Tamron?

Hmmm...based on that review, I'd say the Tamron is a better choice for uw use. It's hard enough to get good photos uw, without starting out with inferior optics at the long end (where it would be used most for macro photography), plus the Tamron provides about 15% more macro magnification.

Not to mention the fact that the Tamron has the advantage of you already having done all the work of trying it out for us, James! :)

Hi Gang,

To bring this back to the top, I see the buydig.com has this lens on sale for $649! That's a lot better than when I got mine. Buyer beware, your mileage may vary, past performance is no guarantee of future results, etc... However, I have used buydig.com and they are fine.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?om...;sku=TM70200EOS

Cheers

James

Hi gang,

My review of the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 macro lens has been posted on the front page (finally - let me tell you, having a baby seriously cuts into your review-writing time :-)

So - please have a look and tell me your thoughts - would you try one?

Cheers

James

Hi gang,

My review of the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 macro lens has been posted on the front page (finally - let me tell you, having a baby seriously cuts into your review-writing time :-)

So - please have a look and tell me your thoughts - would you try one?

Cheers

James

Hi James,

Geez, I must have been asleep during September, coz I didn't see your posting about the 'Phillipines Gallery'. . . . -_-:unsure:

Anyway, I am really happy that you have finally got your review up, and I must agree with your thoughts on the subject.....kids DO take up a lot of time. . . . :D

The pics are really great mate, and show what the lens is capable of in the right hands.

I am still really "up in the air" as to which way to go for a lens to use with the 'cropped' sensor?

With the FX that you have, you get to use the full 70-200mm range of the zoom. With the DX sensor, we start at about 105ish mm and lose the use of the 60-100mm range.

I would really like to try a lens like the Sigma 50-150mm, but its magnification is only 1.5 compared to the biggers lense's 1.3.

The Sigma offers HSM with the 50-150mm and I would think that it could be a useful lens, but I'm not sure as to its capabilities as a 'macro' lens in the true sense of the word, and how it would apply to our requirements underwater????. . . . . :nea::D

Good report James and REALLY good pics. . . . :drink:

Bruce...

Sponsors

Advertisements