Damo

while we're at it- wide angle lens???

Hi folks

Big thank you to Michele for the timely post on macro- as I am researching good lens choices for Nikon D80 without totally going bankrupt.

So to follow on from Michelle, any takes on a good wide angle lens choice for starters?

My research thus far is gravitating me to a Sigma 12-24mm.

Any opinions greatfully received- and again many thanks to those who posted to my last query on Nikon d80

This forum rocks!!

Damo

Check also the Tokina 10-17, its a Fish-eye len, there is a running thread that talks about the advantages of it vs the 'regular' lens.

In my opinion, its much better option but its totally depend on your type of photography and needs.

Edited by Arnon_Ayal

I have a Nikon 12-24 which I bought to use underwater. I have not used it below water since I bought the Tokina 10-17. The wider field of view and the close focusing make this a far superior underwater lens for the type of wide angle photography I want to do. I also considered the Nikon 10.5 fisheye but find the ability to zoom to 17mm great when you want to shoot smaller subjects.

Call me old-fashioned, but I think that a fixed-focus wide-angle makes for better images. Martin Edge teaches the dangers of zooming in instead of moving in, which is a hard habit to shake off with zooms.

The Tokina zoom has built up an excellent reputation, but it is a zoom. The Nikon 12-24mm is notoriously difficult to match with a dome port and keep the edge sharpness that it gives in terrestrial photography, I don't know if the Sigma has the same problem. The Nikon 10.5mm is a truly wonderful lens, and I've used it with a teleconverter to generate a different style of image on some dives (admittedly in a second dome).

An alternative: a Nikon 16mm acts as a mid-range wide angle, and there are used ones around (depending on the dome it can work best either with or without the internal filter attached: despite being a planar optic, it does alter the focal length of the lens...).

Tim

B)

The Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye underwater will deliver the best bang for the buck. Used at different focal lengths you can get curvature if you desire (10mm through about 13mm) and also if you shoot up, down or have man made straight line objects in the frame's edges.

From about 15mm - 17mm it almost appears "normal" with very minimal curvature, but will consistently deliver sharper edges due to being a Fisheye lens focussing on the curved apparent image a dome port creates underwater. Especially using an 8" diameter port.

Finally, I have taken to not putting my zoom clamp and ring on. I seal my port, then preset my Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye at one focal length and then concentrate at getting close for that angle of view. Between dives it's much easier to pop the housing back open, slide the camera back and reset to a tighter or wider focal length. Takes a whopping 30 seconds and I don't disturb my port seal.....

Food for thought :unsure:

dhaas

Just to add to the general confusion.

I can't fault the bang for buck argument for the Tokina - BUT.

The Tokina has some horrid CA that you need to get rid of in post.

I like the DHass idea of fixing it's focal length before the dive - it is sooooo easy to just rack the zoom to get an image instead of really thinking and working for the best that you can achieve which you have to do when you have a prime lens or fixed focal length.

The thought about and 'worked on' version is often all the better for it.

With a fixed focal length you will learn a lot quicker what 'works' and what does not with your chosen lens - a zoom adds a whole load more variables.

Other fixed focal length options also include :-

Sigma 15 - this lens also works full frame and will come into use all over again when eventually all cameras go this way (its future proof to an extent).

Nikon 10.5 - great lens but a handful to light even with two strobes. When you get it 'right' it does produce a great picture.

Paul C

dano, in addition to the tokina 10-17mm which others mentioned, you should look at the tokina 12-24mm, its rated nearly as good as the nikon 12-24mm, at half the price...

scott

I have been shooting both the Tokina 12-24 and 10-17FE. I pretty much stop using the 12-24 under water. 12-24 isn't really that wide. I like 17 better then any of the range produced by the 12-24. Also the edge distortion from the 12-24 use in under water is a little disturbing. I put it in a 8 inche Ikelite dome and use a +3 diopler. However, I like the 12-24 a lot on land and will continue to use it on land for general purpose wide angle wide the 10-17 on land is somtime too much :-)

Hi Damo,

you also might consider the new Tokina 11 -16 mm. It will be out in Europe end of May/June I was told by Tokina Europe. It is a wide angel lens.

Edited by Dutchybert

I have been shooting both the Tokina 12-24 and 10-17FE. I pretty much stop using the 12-24 under water. 12-24 isn't really that wide. I like 17 better then any of the range produced by the 12-24. Also the edge distortion from the 12-24 use in under water is a little disturbing. I put it in a 8 inche Ikelite dome and use a +3 diopler. However, I like the 12-24 a lot on land and will continue to use it on land for general purpose wide angle wide the 10-17 on land is somtime too much :-)

the 12-24mm is most useful for fish such as sharks, napolean wrasse, etc. that are hard to get close to. Usually the 10-17 is too wide in these cases unless you are very lucky.

did you use the 12-24mm in the same dome port / extension as you shoot the 10-17mm? the dome port needs to be extended out further from the lens for the 12-24mm or the corner sharpness will drop down.

Scott

Sponsors

Advertisements