scorpio_fish

OK, Changi experts, help me out

We arrive at 12:25am terminal 1. Our bags are not checked through. We fly out on Silk, terminal 2, at 9:15am. So, we have to get our bags and go through customs. The Silk gates will be closed at that hour so we can't just boogie over to terminal 2 and check in, nor will we be able to use the Transit Hotel, since we won't have a boarding pass to get into the terminal.

Should we hang out at the airport? Is there places to hang out outside of the secured area? Should we get a room near the airport for 5 hours? I can't tell which ones are closest, any specific suggestions.

Part II

We arrive back at 5:05pm and depart SIN at 8:20am the next morning, any recommendation for this modestly lengthier stay?

Try to check you bags through when you check in for your first flight. Some airlines have reciprocal agreements with Silk/Singapore Airlines. If that doesn't work, when you get to Changi, you go to the transit desk (there's one in each terminal) and give them your ticket stubs, flight information, etc. and they will take care of the transfer. [At least that's the theory. No customs or immigration, follow the transit signs. Much better to check through, if you can.]

There are transit hotels in both terminals at Changi. Nice, clean, quiet, rent by the hour. Make reservations. If you can't find contact info, let me know and I'll send you telelphone numbers, links, etc.

Any chance you're at Changi May 2 & May 16?

Edited by jlyle

I have taken a similar schedule, and will do so again in July. I stay here:

http://www.airport-hotel.com.sg/

Do not clear customs.

The hotel entrance is right in the Terminal.

Don't worry about which Terminal: there is a hotel in both Terminal one and two, and they'll book you into the right one. Book a block of six hours (the minimum); it's cheap, clean, and efficient. You should (if on Singapore or Star Alliance carrier) book your bags all the way through. You will then have a boarding pass, and can have a nice cappucino and croissant with the extra time. (There's a great coffee bar near the hotel.)

By the way, if your ticket is on Singpaore, and it was ticketed prior to April 30, 2008, you should email them and get the former baggage allowance applied to your flight. Print out the response, and take two copies with you..one for each way. It will save you a bundle on excess baggage.

Have fun!

Marli

Oh, that's right. Either you or your travel agent need to contact Silk Air so they know you are coming in on a carrier from the US so that you get the better luggage allowance on your Silk flight.

We arrive at 12:25am terminal 1. Our bags are not checked through. We fly out on Silk, terminal 2, at 9:15am. So, we have to get our bags and go through customs. The Silk gates will be closed at that hour so we can't just boogie over to terminal 2 and check in, nor will we be able to use the Transit Hotel, since we won't have a boarding pass to get into the terminal.

Why do you think you need to go through customs? You dont have to. It's all inside transit areas. Even moving between terminals. Find the transit hotel you want to stay in (inside transit area as well!) and have a nice rest.

Cor

Why do you think you need to go through customs? You dont have to. It's all inside transit areas. Even moving between terminals. Find the transit hotel you want to stay in (inside transit area as well!) and have a nice rest.

Cor

Our bags will not be checked to Manado. They cannot be checked through to Manado. I'm not flying Singapore airlines. I am not flying with someone with recip agreement.

have taken a similar schedule, and will do so again in July. I stay here:

http://www.airport-hotel.com.sg/

Do not clear customs.

The hotel entrance is right in the Terminal.

I believe one goes through immigration first, then to baggage claim to get checked luggage....and then necessarily through customs and out the front door.

Last time I was able to get a immigration guy to let me back in after we collected our checked bags, but I'm not counting on getting that lucky to have a very nice immigration dude who wants to help me out.

Baggage limit not a problem on Silk. Business class allowance is enough.

Ah yeah, damn. That makes it more difficult. Probably finding an airport hotel really close by is your best bet then.

Cor

By the way, if your ticket is on Singpaore, and it was ticketed prior to April 30, 2008, you should email them and get the former baggage allowance applied to your flight. Print out the response, and take two copies with you..one for each way. It will save you a bundle on excess baggage.

Have fun!

Marli

Marli,

What e-mail address did you use? The webform?

Mike

Edited by MikeO

George

As I mentioned before, the Crown Plaza will be opened in May 08, which is well in time for your trip.

For checking in, do it online to get seats then just drop the bags at Terminal 2. I believe Silk Air allows 24 hours before flight check in. Just hit a computer terminal and do it there.

You can also store your bags at the terminal 1 & 2 ( I believe it's 24hrs).

Keep your ticket stub and have a paper tix to show you are using PC system for SilkAir. I hope you didn't book it separately as they are less inclined to accept 2 PC system if the booking ticket is separate.

Since you only have 7 hours and will be well rested from the flight anyhow. I'd dump the bags and hit town! If you arrive on a fri/sat, hit Clarke Quay for drinks then move to the Mandarin Chatterbox on the 38th floor to munch and take the sunrise before heading back to the airport. :D

I've done this before (at least 3 times - travel through Changi all the time for work)

You can go through immigration and then back to the transit hotel - the first time I did this was because I wanted my bags w/me (changing clothes after a long flight, etc.). The 2nd time I did it was because when I got to Singapore I realized I didn't have a hotel and the city was absolutely booked (air show)

Go through immigration, get your bag, DO NOT go through customs (which is nothing more than walking out to the receiving hall - all your bags have already been scanned). Instead, after getting your bag immediately turn around and walk back up the ramp (w/your bags), talk to one of the immigration folks (let them know you're going to the transit hotel) and then go up a level to the hotel.

The following morning transfer to the terminal you need to be in, go through immigration again, go through customs, go upstairs, check in.

It's a hassle carrying a lot of bags through the airport (they only have small carts in the terminals) but other than that it works...

Completely separately - if you are landing at a time while the Silk Air counter is still open (I believe their counters are only staffed early morning to early evening) then you'll be able to check in early (up to 24 hours). If you're coming from the US this will be unlikely, unless you are on one of midnight-1AM flights out of SFO or LAX (but then you're likely on Singapore Airlines and then you could check it through).

Sponsors

Advertisements