dwood

Canon G9 White Balance Settings

I used a G9 in an Ikelite housing with a DS-125 strobe a few days ago. The WB was set for auto. The pitures had much too much red, although the exposure seemed OK, or slightly underexposed. I shot RAW and by adjusting the WB (reducing red), I could get the color to look right. These were shot in macro mode, aperture priority f=8.0. I adjusted the strobe output and got it to overexpose, but still too much red. Should the white balance be set for flash? I never had any problem using the WB auto setting with my Olympus C-5050. Thanks in advance.

I used a G9 in an Ikelite housing with a DS-125 strobe a few days ago. The WB was set for auto. The pitures had much too much red, although the exposure seemed OK, or slightly underexposed. I shot RAW and by adjusting the WB (reducing red), I could get the color to look right. These were shot in macro mode, aperture priority f=8.0. I adjusted the strobe output and got it to overexpose, but still too much red. Should the white balance be set for flash? I never had any problem using the WB auto setting with my Olympus C-5050. Thanks in advance.

I shoot a G9 with strobes, and when I do I set the white balance manually with the strobes firing.

I find a nice combo is to use "custom WB 1" for strobes and "custom WB 2" for no strobes. I assign the shortcut button in each of the C1 & C2 modes to set the respective custom balances for each style.

I then switch between C1 and C2 for strobe and ambient light (and video).

When I'm careful and set the WBs after I change depth more than 5-10 feet I get "as shot" WB that needs little to no adjustment after the fact.

I'm far from a G9 'expert' but I find the cloudy WB setting good for strobes - 2 x Z-240's.

I'm far from a G9 'expert' but I find the cloudy WB setting good for strobes - 2 x Z-240's.

That's interesting. I had my G9 with a single Z240 and a 5 diffuser out a couple of weeks ago, and on the cloudy setting I kept having purple sponges come out pink and some orange corals become fairly yellow. I wasn't using RAW. I had been concerned about write times, but next time I will use RAW & JPEG and play around with white balance a bit more.

Sponsors

Advertisements