Nunomix

How to send photos to magazines

Not sure if this is the right forum for this so if it isn't please feel free to move it.

I have been taking some shots and would like to give it a try on the magazines. My question is the following: how to get your photos into a magazine?

Do you send them a slideshow of some of your best shots? Do you send them originals of your best shots?

How does it work so that you get them to check you photos and at the same time not get them pissed off with a bunch of files in their email box.

Thanks

Regards,

Nuno Sanches e Silva

Not sure if this is the right forum for this so if it isn't please feel free to move it.

I have been taking some shots and would like to give it a try on the magazines. My question is the following: how to get your photos into a magazine?

Do you send them a slideshow of some of your best shots? Do you send them originals of your best shots?

How does it work so that you get them to check you photos and at the same time not get them pissed off with a bunch of files in their email box.

Thanks

Regards,

Nuno Sanches e Silva

Most diving magazines prefer to buy a package of words and pictures. This means you have to be both a competent writer and photographer. (The fees are so poor there is rarely enough for two contributors.)

Send the words as a file on the same CD as low res. pictures together with hard copy. Be sure to explain that you have high res originals available. Most magazines will either ask you to send selected high res on a CD or let you download on to their DTP server if they want them. Be sure your pictures and words are unusual.

The first thing you have to do is catch the Editor's eye.

(That's the difficult bit!)

I regularly contribute to three magazines because I am an old hack and they know what I can reliably and regularly produce. It took some time to break in at first.

Hi Nuno

ditto with what John has written,

The regulars will hate me for this as they see it generating more competition, but it isn't as hard as many would make out to get your photographs published, but the words are the important bit. Your copy is what will sell the article not so much the pictures. And magazine photography is different to standard u/w photography in many quite subtle ways.

best of luck

I agree with what John and Brendan have written.

Many underwater photographers look at diving magazines and say "My shots are as good as those", but this is NOT enough to get them published. Your best chance of getting them published is to have the editors asking you to submit, rather than sending them in on spec.

Each month the Editor has to fill the pages of his magazine - so they are on the lookout for new contributors to do this. But new contributors mean risk. The regular guys and gals you see each month are the contributors that the magazine trusts to produce quality material, ON TIME and to the correct length.

A new contributor is a new risk for the editor. Remember they HAVE to fill those pages each month. Maybe their material will be below par, maybe the images won't relate to the story, maybe they will write too many words, maybe they won't deliver at all. This is why magazines tend to stick to the same few reliable names. Those people have a track record of trust.

So to break in to this circle you need to offer something that is better than the existing contributors or at least different. And prove you are reliable.

One of the best ways to get noticed as a photographer is to enter the big competitions that the editors see. This usually means the ones that are open to pros as well as amateurs. If you are targeting a particular magazine then you can enter their in-house competition too. Of course, this does not prove you can write, but it is an important step to getting noticed. All editors are interested in identifying the up-and-coming talent.

It is also well worth going to shows and actually meeting editors face to face. The best one for this is the Antibes festival - because there are usually so many editors there and it is a relaxed and social occasion. The diving media world is very small and it does not take long to get to know everyone. You don't necessarily need to bombard an editor with material at an event - but you can promise a follow up email a few days later.

Each magazine is different. Each has a very different take on diving and all think that their way is the only correct way to write about diving. So before submitting study the "house style" and make sure you article fits.

The final point I would make is practice. The more you write the easier it gets. So volunteer to write articles for your dive club etc - learning the ropes so that you know what you are doing when you get your chance to impress.

Alex

Guys,

Thanks a lot for your precious input. I guess I was gonna do the wrong thing (just sending some pictures).

I will have some thoughts about this since I would really like to get into this.

Cheers

Nuno

Sponsors

Advertisements