I have made a nice trip report from my bahama trip, you can watch it on Youtube

Edited by Drew

This is a must see video. It's hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!

pretty silly bearing in mind the recent event out there.

Thats a 10+ I :lol: loved it, regardless of recent events

Edited by mrbubbles

Seems like pretty irresponsible and unnecessary behavior to me ... particularly from the guy who threw the stick at the tiger shark.

Seems like pretty irresponsible and unnecessary behavior to me ... particularly from the guy who threw the stick at the tiger shark.

i am very glad i was not in the water with these idiots. i would deffinatley of had more than a few words to say to them. it is behaviour like this that could turn an animal into thinking that humans are a threat to them, they could disappear or even attack.

I've never been so offeneded in my life.........All those involved shold be ashamed...It just shows that human stupididty is endless

Well, I thought it was hilarious. Some of the behavior makes light of the potential danger that comes with being in the water with large sharks, but I'm glad that they were having so much fun!

Also, I had never seen video footage from the Dolphin Dream. The shark diving doesn't seem very well regulated. I'm sure the boat will start tightening things up over time as they realize what they are doing.

Well, I thought it was hilarious. Some of the behavior makes light of the potential danger that comes with being in the water with large sharks, but I'm glad that they were having so much fun!

Also, I had never seen video footage from the Dolphin Dream. The shark diving doesn't seem very well regulated. I'm sure the boat will start tightening things up over time as they realize what they are doing.

Are you serious? Would you not describe it as harassment ? I certainly would. Mind you, I feel the way you probably get some of your shots would probably fall into a similar catagory. I am sorry if you feel that this a personal attack, but to condone what they did, in your postion, I feel is wrong.

Imagine the scene, man throws pole at tiger shark, hits tiger shark in the eye, tiger shark reacts and attacks innocent diver who was there to respect the sharks and photograph them. Another statistic for the Bahamas within a few weeks, NEWS HEADLINES : shark diving banned in the Bahamas.

going slightly off topic Eric, what are your views regarding the recent posting regarding DD shots. Have you ever moved a nudibranch to get a better shot? I and I am pretty sure a lot of other members would like to know. I cant recall seeing you comment on the DD posting, I could be wrong though

The shark that the pole is thrown at is not a tiger shark but a lemon shark. Not that that makes a different for your point, but just saying. The lemon sharks are not at all interested in anything happing underwater on those trips. Even the tigers would probably not have reacted.

I think that the whole scene looks chaotic. Having just come back from a similar trip on a different boat I cant imagine them letting any of us behave like that. We'd be banned to the surface immediately. It seems a little irresponsible to let divers be so careless but i suppose every boat has their own rules.

I dont really get the endless karatechopping..but i guess you had to be there :D

I'm just sayin' ... who throws a javelin at a shark? Tiger, lemon, nurse, whatever ... right?

I appreciate the "enthusiasm" ... seems a little "german" for my taste, but I appreciate "good times" ...

I've never been on a shark dive but one of my young lieutenants did go to the Bahamas himself and he was really surprised that the operators let them go so crazy with the sharks in the water. He was in the water with another shark operator on the day that guy got bit and later died.

But you guys have been in the water with sharks a bunch and no doubt have a better sense of what's safe and what's not.

My reaction when I saw the footage was two-fold ...

>>>> Seemed dangerous to be so spastic and un-focused on the task at hand ... Maybe I'm just still reeling from seeing Jaws at 8 years old in the movie theater. :D

>>>> Seemed unkind to throw a javelin at a shark

I know I'm too old to appreciate the dumb karate chopping / dancing dragon thing, but I did do stuff like that when I was 18 I suppose.

I just wonder what the reaction would have been if this stuff had been filmed from Abernathy's boat, maybe on the same trip of the recent accident. Furthermore this was filmed from the Dolphin Dream who I believe were big participants in slamming Abernathy after the accident.

I'm all for having fun, do underwater dancing if that's what runs your motor; but I can't see anyone here looking around them, paying any attention to currents and the direction of the chum slick, where the tigers, or occasional bull - if any - might be coming from, etc. I assume as well that everybody on the dive was into the party, anybody who was not certainly could not have enjoyed being down there with the rest of the group.

I guess this could be posted as a movie of how not to conduct a group dive at Tiger Beach.

Edited by loftus

Are you serious? Would you not describe it as harassment ? I certainly would. Mind you, I feel the way you probably get some of your shots would probably fall into a similar catagory. I am sorry if you feel that this a personal attack, but to condone what they did, in your postion, I feel is wrong.

I never condoned it. I just thought it was hilarious. It did look dangerous and was not that way I'd like to be in the water with large sharks.

I don't know you, Stew, and we've never been in the water together. I didn't take what you said was a personal attack because we have no personal relationship whatsoever. You have no first-hand experience with my methods underwater.

I don't know you, Stew, and we've never been in the water together. I didn't take what you said was a personal attack because we have no personal relationship whatsoever. You have no first-hand experience with my methods underwater.

or above water, you are correct. i found this video to be harassment to the sharks. you may not, but that would be your personal opinion, and what i have written is mine, which hopefully i am entitled to.

perhaps it would have been better for your original reply to have said.

It did look dangerous and was not that way I'd like to be in the water with large sharks.

instead of

Some of the behavior makes light of the potential danger that comes with being in the water with large sharks, but I'm glad that they were having so much fun!

Edited by stewsmith

Mind you, I feel the way you probably get some of your shots would probably fall into a similar catagory.

Sorry Stew. I spent 15 days diving & photographing with Eric and I can tell you he is one of the most environmentally cautious photographers I have been in the water with. I wonder why you would assume such a thing without witnessing or direct proof. I know we have never met, so how is my diving?

Sorry Stew. I spent 15 days diving & photographing with Eric and I can tell you he is one of the most environmentally cautious photographers I have been in the water with. I wonder why you would assume such a thing without witnessing or direct proof. I know we have never met, so how is my diving?

i wasnt saying anything at all about the way eric dives. if i did please show me where.

Having dived the tigers on Jim's boat a number of times, I have to say I have not seen behavior like this before. Jim's methods are calculated and deliberate. Every dive is taken seriously and no one messes around. You would be dropped on land and flown home if you every tried this on Jim's boat. That is probably one of the reasons Eric and I choose to dive the Bahamas with Jim. His respect and appreciate for the sharks is unmatched.

I suppose there will always be those who take something a step too far. The video unto itself was entertaining and edited well. Under other circumstances I would have appreciated it more. My lack of appreciation for the carelessness these divers displayed underwater makes it hard for me to enjoy the video. I hope the Dolphin Dream takes note and exercises greater discipline in the future.

Finally, Eric is very much environmentally concerned. His artistic appreciation for the video says nothing for his concern for safe and environmentally sound diving practices. If there is an environmental film project to do, Eric is at the top of my call list.

-shawn

Having dived the tigers on Jim's boat a number of times, I have to say I have not seen behavior like this before. Jim's methods are calculated and deliberate. Every dive is taken seriously and no one messes around. You would be dropped on land and flown home if you every tried this on Jim's boat. That is probably one of the reasons Eric and I choose to dive the Bahamas with Jim. His respect and appreciate for the sharks is unmatched.

I wasn't going to name names, but there you go. Amen to that. Im a little surprised actually to see that another boat allows this type of behavior in the vicinity of tiger sharks. I honestly thought that all pretty much used the same safety principles.

Cor

I wasn't going to name names, but there you go. Amen to that. Im a little surprised actually to see that another boat allows this type of behavior in the vicinity of tiger sharks. I honestly thought that all pretty much used the same safety principles.

Cor

it is quite good that this video was posted. i was going to be chartering the dolphindream for early next year, and the deposit was meant to be paid a few weeks after the poor guy died out at tiger beach. not knowing what the outcome would be from the incident, and thinking there would be some kind of enquiry into what took place, i decided to put it on the back burner. another WP member had PM'd me a couple of times regarding safety concerns with the dolphindream. he didnt have any first hand experience but he did know of someone that did. after watching this video, i emailed dolphindream to get a full explanation from them and asked to hear their views. below is a copy of my email to which i have not had any reply.

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=oR3jjx6rQOM

please find attached a link to a video that was shot by others, whilst diving the bahamas with your compnay,. i had already made enquiries with yourselves regarding chartering the dolphin dream and would like to know a few facts from yourselves first.

firstly what is your opinion of this video, i do not mean quality i mean content.

secondly did you know that the people involved in the making of this video were acting like this underwater, and would you allow these guys to be repeat customers

and finally, were any guides or crew in the water when this film was being made. if they were why did they not stop these fools from acting like this.

i find it hard to believe that after a recent fatality out where this video was made, and that you would allow such total nonesense to happen.

please reply to me with your honest answers,

yours, a future customer

Having been on a very similar shark dive and completed 2,000 other dives I offer the following comments:

1. At first glance it is a well edited and funny video.

2. The video contains unsafe and irresponsible diver and boat safety criteria.

3. It protrays to the public irresponsible diver behavior and denigrates the majority of good divers

It should be pulled off public viewing.

While I usually do instigate controversial threads, I do think that the thread has been veered away from Bruno's video and more about politics of diving. I mean, there are 3 JackAss movies and a plethora of antic themed shows so obviously there are people who appreciate videos of this nature. Not that I'm saying that Eric likes JackAss movies, but he is allowed to, despite his 'status' (which I'm not sure what status that is...homeless? single?). Why does Eric have to defend himself for finding something funny? I mean, is he or anyone else running for office? Does everyone have to state their beliefs/positions on every issue every time they post? This is a forum and the movie, however inane to some, is funny to others. For those who have issues with the safety and disrespect for sea life, write to the BDA and the operators. Why put someone on the spot for thinking it's funny because you are appalled by it?

Now if Eric was one of the karate divers, then I would question his technique since I believe he's more into wushu shaolin styles and we all know crane and snake boxing kicks ass over karate. Sorry Cor, silat is for posers :D

Finally please do not compare the incident of Markus Groh to this incident, unless you know what happened in that incident. That sort of association is never substantiative or even helpful.

Afterall, all those opposed to shark diving in general (and I'm one of them) would think activity like this is bad in general. And I still speak to almost everyone who does it regularly... except Shawn now. :D:P:D

Most importantly, I'm most peeved that so many admin and mods have read this thread DID NOT put this in the video subforum, where video sharing should be. :)

I dont really get the endless karatechopping..but i guess you had to be there :)

Even if I were there, I would've done taichi... more serene than chops and the 'qi' flow would've shown in the water. If I used 'qi' to deflect a shark, I wouldn't be officially touching it. :)

If there is an environmental film project to do, Eric is at the top of my call list.

Biatch, you mean that man purse carrying dude is above me on the list? :D:P

Ok now that it's in the right subforum, please comment on the content and editing of the video.

Now if Eric was one of the karate divers, then I would question his technique since I believe he's more into wushu shaolin styles and we all know crane and snake boxing kicks ass over karate. Sorry Cor, silat is for posers :)

Drunken fighter everytime.. You can take on multiple assailants and using a special 'Chi' technique not feel a thing until the next morning... :D:D:D

:P

Dive safe

DeanB

Finally please do not compare the incident of Markus Groh to this incident, unless you know what happened in that incident. That sort of association is never substantiative or even helpful.

Drew,

I do not think anyone has 'compared' this video (not an incident itself really) to any other incident. It is a fact though, that as a result of the Marcus Groh incident, the safety of this type of diving has been called into question, and specifically the safety procedures of an operator many of us support have been questioned to the extent that the operation's viability could have been affected.

I think it is fair to observe that shark diving as done from another boat, at least in this video, is being conducted in a somewhat disorganized fashion, that many would consider less safe. This video could be used by those who wish to terminate this activity as an example of these supposedly unsafe practices. It is also ironic that the owner of this boat was involved in questioning the unsafe practices of his competition.

Whether or not anyone thinks their antics are amusing or not is of course up to the personal taste of the viewer.

Edited by loftus

Jeff et al

I think much of the 'disorganization' is attributed to the way Bruno edited his video (which on reflection was kinda well done). Although I've only watched it once with paying too much attention to detail, most of the karate stuff was not around the the main baiting area but cleverly cut to appear so. The main baiting scenes were fairly normal for such dives. The pole throwing was probably thrown to 'appear' it was aimed at the shark but it fell quite short of the target and actually behind the shark. It's a camera angle trick much akin to how Harrison Ford throws his punches in Indiana Jones. Bravo to Bruno for managing to "sell" that shot (as the industry would say) to so many people that it invokes such reactions.

Let's also keep in mind that Bruno put up the video to share his fun, not be crucified for not appealing to everyone's sensibilities. Let's give him the respect to start another thread about the objectionable actions of the operators, since Bruno is not one of them.

If there is going to be a debate over the different operators and the politics of shark diving in the Bahamas (which is getting far away from the purpose of the video), let's do it logically and with facts and not gut reactions and unsubstantiated assumptions, as I see how a few people have reacted to the video.

Is it just me or did anyone think the music actually didn't go very well with most of the film... Ok its a take on the location and the divers banged their heads to the main up tempo parts (Wayne's worldesque) but it, to me, just didn't gel...

Apart from that, nicely put together and some lovely sequences.. I guessed the stick throwing incident was a camera angle trick but if it wasn't then.. shame on that man and I hope the shark sues the idiot next time.. or worse ;) I didn't like the sharks being dragged out the water for their amusement but if sharky did'nt like it I guess it would have let go...Just me being the softy I am.. I loved the Wushu display ^_^ how many of us did that when we were younger in the swimming pools.. But if they want to be 'brave' trying it on the sharks or just do it for the cameras then I hope they never lose a hand or arm as it would be detrimental to the shark, with bad press and thats a terrible thing.. Please think before you act for both your sakes...

I cannot wait for the 'part 2' when they try the same in Africa in the middle of a pride of lions... :lol: .. as my mate Paul weller would say "Now thats entertainment"... :o

Dive safe

DeanB

Sponsors

Advertisements