tdpriest

Green soup!

The poor British photographer has suffered again! Not only inflated prices for gear, cold weather and enormous charges for fuel to get to the dives, but soupy green water at the annual "Diver" magazine Stoney Cove Splash-in competition.

The rules are: no processing, JPEG from the camera and shot on the day.

My results are not for public consumption (too embarrassing); my 14-year old son is no longer talking to me after I persuaded him to model for me, promising fame and national exposure of his wonderful diving skills, but putting him into the green soup and shoving a dome port into his face to get any image at all. And don't talk to me about the crayfish....

I will post only if someone else is brave enough to go first!

Does any other part of the world host a similarly frustrating competition? Are they as much fun (in a masochistic way)?

Tim

B)

Go on Tim - you know it makes sense!

At least you got in the water - over here in Guernsey the vis is currently between 6" and 1 foot, where it has been since Christmas.

Hit the bottom last week at 40m knelt down and still couldn't see it.

Go on - give us a laugh.

Paul C

Come on, Tim.

I saw the crayfish on Tuesday night and they looked rather good to me - certainly considering the pea-souper conditions.

Alex

Thanks!

Of course I just wanted a bit of encouragement...

.... unfortunately it's 23:00 and I'm stuck in an operating theatre whilst my team does clever things. I don't have the images to hand, so you will have to wait until tomorrow....

.... this, of course is a post for sympathy....

.... meantime, there are some pretty good images from my compatriots on the Digigreen website.

Tim

B)

Here you are: just remember that you could see a vague shape if a diver was over 6' away...

.... there were a few reprobates from EMUP (who, apparently, also got lost on their dive):

post-4522-1208609407_thumb.jpg

There has been some photoshopping, so, strictly, these are not the images entered into the competition:

post-4522-1208609278_thumb.jpg post-4522-1208609297_thumb.jpg

post-4522-1208609328_thumb.jpg post-4522-1208609372_thumb.jpg post-4522-1208609387_thumb.jpg

If you're interested my son was shot with a magic filter and a 10.5mm lens with -1 stop exposure compensation, 200ASA equivalent and shutter-priority 1/60, the wildlife with two Inon Z-240 strobes controlled by optical TTL and a 60mm micro lens, 100 ASA equivalent shutter-priority 1/60, yielding about f5.6 to deliberately reduce the depth of field and throw the appalling backscatter out of focus.

Tim

B)

Heheh... Looks like PNW Diving, same soup, same dive eh???

Nice shots with the 10.5

The poor British photographer has suffered again! Not only inflated prices for gear, cold weather and enormous charges for fuel to get to the dives, but soupy green water at the annual "Diver" magazine Stoney Cove Splash-in competition.

The rules are: no processing, JPEG from the camera and shot on the day.

My results are not for public consumption (too embarrassing); my 14-year old son is no longer talking to me after I persuaded him to model for me, promising fame and national exposure of his wonderful diving skills, but putting him into the green soup and shoving a dome port into his face to get any image at all. And don't talk to me about the crayfish....

I will post only if someone else is brave enough to go first!

Does any other part of the world host a similarly frustrating competition? Are they as much fun (in a masochistic way)?

Tim

B)

Tim

I can totally relate to this.I live and dive in Cape Town,South Africa.Our seas are called Clean Green(named after a green colour toilet detergent)Its like jumping into an ice cold 12 degree bowl of soup everytime i dive.Although this cold rich water brings big pelagics and big Great Whites its real a challenge for shooters.I shoot video and the last wreck dive i did at 27m look like i discovered a new form of a green colour from another planet.Something maybe NASA might want to take a look at this new green.

Sympathiser to English divers

I got the "Someone has to go to Stoney Cove and someone has to go to Richelieu Rock, Thailand."

To which I replied, "So who's going to Stoney Cove?"

Funnily enough, the water became a little green at Richelieu Rock.

Edited by John Bantin

.... unfortunately it's 23:00 and I'm stuck in an operating theatre whilst my team does clever things. I don't have the images to hand, so you will have to wait until tomorrow....

.... this, of course is a post for sympathy....

sympathy? you are on WP while you have other people work? hmmmmm... none from me! haha

Ya, green water is tough alright, not a bad effort though in tough conditions.

Sponsors

Advertisements