Sign in to follow this  
Bargibanti

baby fish, shrimp + mini shell from central Sulawesi

some more macro stuff for the experts.

all of them not bigger than 5mm, the shell was found several times, always the same size of 3-4mm.

the fish wasnt really swimming, more drifting like a piece of dirt.

any ideas?

cheers,

beo

post-8657-1209068229_thumb.jpg

post-8657-1209068255_thumb.jpg

post-8657-1209068281_thumb.jpg

Fish looks like a juvie wrasse, but too small to tell.

Shrimp looks like a like a Dasycaris sp., but probably undescribed.

Third is a Haminoea sp. I've know I've seen it somewhere in a reference, but can't find it at the moment.

Cheers,

Marli

there's a group of 5 orange-spotted Haminoea species from the Indo Pacific. This post on the Sea Slug Forum has links to all 5 http://www.seaslugforum.net/factsheet.cfm?base=hamisp1

I'm not so sure about the shrimp. While it does resemble some species of Dasycaris (which is in family Palaemonidae, subfamily Pontoniinae, in japanese UW guide books it's listed as an undescribed species in family Hippolytidae.

Marli's instincts on the shrimp were good. I'm told that it is a Dasycaris and the japanese guide books are incorrect in calling it a hippolytid.

tufts on the carapace and abdomen are typical to Hippolyte spp (Hippolytidae s. str.)

in addition, the P1 seem to enlarged, not the P2, as in the Pontoniinae

need slightly higher resolution to see first 2 legs and the rostrum ..

Art

Edited by Art

Hi Art -- It's Sammy who told me it was a Dasycaris and that he didn't understand why your japanese colleagues kept calling it a hippolytid.

Leslie: I know it was SDG who told you that, but neither of us can do much with photo alone ..

also, we may deal with 2 species here, one hippolytid and one pontoniine, SDG may be right, one of them may be Dasycaris, but this one I am really not sure ..

I hope we'll get a couple of different aspects, I need at least one where you can see the position of the larger pair of chelipeds

;o)

A

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements