Moved this from another thread ... didn't really belong there ...

I hate to open up pandorra's box ... so I'll try to be very specific ... My question is about Nikon's latest digital technology vs. Canon's latest technology ... specifically with respect to 'color'.

From the images I have seen, I've found Nikon's color from the D300 and D3 to seem more "subtle", balanced and - to me - pleasing than that from the Canons ... but I can see why others may prefer the Canon "look" ...

Is this distinction I'm seeing:

>>> Real, but a function of the in-camera processing engines and if you shoot RAW it vanishes

>>> Real, but the differences are more complicated than that

>>> Totally BS - what are you talking about?

When I have used Canon cameras I have found that my pictures have a very similar look to my Nikon ones. Certainly in RAW I don't see a big issue.

Alex

Jeremy,

Not sure it is a Nikon/Canon difference but I believe that my images with Canon cameras have a slightly different texture and color relative to similar (subject and condition) images I've seen from fellow Nikon photographers. To me the RAW canon files (I shoot 1Ds Mk II) generally appear to be (1) little less saturated, (2) more of a soft "matted" texture and (3) from more of a soft "pastel" pallet directly out of camera. Again, it is extremely subtle.

Perhaps this is due to factors such as (1) CMOS vs CCD, (2) camera settings, (3) display type etc. I use Apple monitors (non-glossy option) both with laptop and desktop units. Perhaps my aging eyesight plays a role.

Depending upon subject and conditions, my preference alternates.

Anyone else notice this difference? Alex, we've shot the same subjects on the same dives (you Nikon, me Canon) is this my imagination??

Cheers,

Scott

We are talking about VERY subtle effects ... but we may both be crazy as the way you described the Canon raw images is how I would have described the Nikon!

We may see what we want to see ... and my brain may be telling me that it has finally made up its mind behind the scenes and wants a Nikon. I haven't gone DSLR yet, but I will someday. I look and look and think and think ... and am paralyzed.

The decision is a big one ... but I'm starting to lean Nikon. Someday I'll finally pull the trigger ... and for whatever reason, I have a yearning for a FF. My interests at this point are top-side ... but if i had the camera, it wouldn't be long before I started thinking about housings, etc.

As much as I love the images I see from the D300 and the 40D, I'm obsessed with the incredibly clean images my friends with D3s are showing me.

There's no logic to this. I know the D300 is already more than I need. If I wasn't such a gear-freak, I'd just buy a Nikon D40 and save the extra money for some nice lenses. If I was smarter, I'd buy the D40 and wait for a full-frame to become affordable.

I AM crazy ... but good crazy. :-)

Sponsors

Advertisements