jlyle

EVA Airlines carryon luggage

First time, ever, we were asked to weigh our carryon luggage! My PorterCase weighs 35 lbs. I explained that it was full of camera gear and asked what we could do. The EVA reservationist went off to ask a supervisor, returned, and said it was okay for us to carry it on. Being polite and asking nicely paid off this time. I hope we are as lucky on the rest of our flights.

First time, ever, we were asked to weigh our carryon luggage! My PorterCase weighs 35 lbs. I explained that it was full of camera gear and asked what we could do. The EVA reservationist went off to ask a supervisor, returned, and said it was okay for us to carry it on. Being polite and asking nicely paid off this time. I hope we are as lucky on the rest of our flights.

You are very lucky !! EvaAir is our primarly airline of choice because of their EconDelux class. But we had situation before where our check in lugage was too heavy and we had to pull some stuffs out. Once we made a scene with stuffs all over the floor blocking the line etc etc, (I am sure u have seen those scene which we all hate), they let us check the bag but they are not dumb & they notice our carry on become overweighted. We had to lie and disappear quickly with bogus reason and not have to deal with another weight challenge. Point is, it's is hard to win sometime but other time u can sneak by. We had a big flight last time flying China airline from Tokyo to Hongkong because we flew EvaAir from SFO to TPE and not China airline from SFO to TPE, despite China airline let us flew w/ the heavy bag from TPE to HongKong and then HongKong to Tokyo. They gave us the hard time in Tokyo going back. Baggage is indeed baggage, lots of stress when u check in !!

Jim

Just a warning if you have a PorterCase PCII, it actually won't fit the sizewise test cage.

Singapore Airlines weigh ours on all trips. 6KG max (12Lb). Flying back from Adelaide recently they had me taking stuff out of carry-on and putting it in the hold (which I was fine with as long as I don't get charged! I always unload items into my jacket pocket at this point.

Alex

I know we all hate to have our carry-ons weighed, Especially since the latest round of size/count restrictions have been placed on checked baggage but remember:

Unlike the massive cargo hold, each overhead bin does have a very valid weight restriction.

Therefore, weighing the carry ons does make sense.

I also think that if the passenger can't place the bag in the bin without help then perhaps the bag is too heavy and should be checked ;)

I've seen plenty of bins come crashing open due to heavy bags.

Sponsors

Advertisements