Sign in to follow this  
andylim

Vignette with Sea&Sea Wide Angle lens + converter

I'm getting a vignette at the widest angle setting with this setup:

- Canon WP-DC300 underwater housing for Canon S50

- Sea & Sea Conversion lens adaptor for WP-DC100

- Sea & Sea WCL-16 wide conversion lens (16mm)

The guy at the shop I bought it from told me that they had run out of stock for the adaptor for WP-DC300, so he sold me the adaptor for WP-DC100. He said that this fits too, which was true.

But upon placing my S50 into the housing, with the adaptor and lens on, I noticed serious vignetting on the LCD at the widest angle setting. I haven't used it underwater yet.

Has anyone experienced this problem?

Do you think that it has anything to do with the fact that I'm using the adaptor for DC100 instead of DC300?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Hi Andy. Are you from Singapore?

I had the S30 with the WPDC-300 casing and S&S WP-DC300 adapter.

Also used the 16mm WAL.

I did not encounter any such problems.

Check and see if the adapter fits and touchs the casing, instead of protruding out.

Maybe that is the problem.

But when I used the WAL, I had to zoom in a little to avoid the slight black corners

been shown in the pics

Slight black corners is vignetting. You have figured out the solution by zooming out. The problem is that your adaptor is the wrong size. The one you have may fit but it places the lens the wrong distance from the wide angle lens. You wil have to take some test shots to see how far you can zoom the lens. The correct adaptor would probably give you a wider angle that you can zoom to.

Hi guys

Thanks for the feedback. I'm from Malaysia, but I got the adapter and lens from Sea & Sea Singapore.

Lanxx, I've pushed the adapter as far as it can go onto the housing. Question is, when using the WAL and zooming in to remove the vignetting, did you manage to get a wider view than the widest angle on your camera (without the WAL)?

If I need to zoom in a bit to get rid of the vignetting (black corners) then the wide angle lens would have been a waste of money. I wouldn't be able to get the widest possible view, which was my intention.

Davephdv, if Lanxx has the same problem even with the correct adapter, this may be an uncorrectable problem.

Any ideas? :lol:

Hi Andy. I had slight vignetting problems with the WAL, All is solved with just a little zomming in. Just a little.

Same problems with the macro lens too, all solved with sligh zomming in.

If you are in Singapore, maybe we can meet up and see the problem?

Think you bought the last of the lens adapter from Andrew(sea & sea)

It is said to fit, but does it fit 100% I am not sure. :lol:

Hi Lanxx

I won't be going to Singapore anytime soon. If it's not too much trouble, can you let me know how much your WP-DC300 adaptor extends outwards? How many cm from inner rim to outer rim?

Does anyone have any idea what the differences are between the DC300 and DC100 adaptors?

Yes, my point in all my meandering around is that he has probably got the wrong adaptor. As others have mentioned, if you can't get the right one then you will have to experiment until you find out how far you can zoom the lens wide without causing vignetting.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements