davehicks

Anyone upgrade a DS-125 battery pack?

PRC, Nice photos of the battery detail.

I thought I would report back on the rebuild of 2 packs.

Went with the 4500mAhr batteries from BJ. No problem with fitting pack into Ike battery compartment, or charging using Ikelite charger.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/red-subc4500-tab.html

To assist in locating the new battery pack, I took the old pack and traced on a piece of paper the location of the cells and then hot glued them together one at a time.

Took about an hour for the first pack rebuild and 15 minutes for the second.

I found I needed a high watt solder iron ( Weller D550 260watts). Trick is to apply lots of heat quickly. The battery act as heat sink and sucks heat away from the solder as you are trying to heat it up. Bad things can happen if too much heat transfers into the battery. I kept the batteries as cool as possible (swabbed with moist rag after heating).

The run time is amazing with these cells. At least 3+ dives (several hundred shots) with modeling light on full time

Mike

Does anyone happen to know what sort of cells Ikelite is using in their NiMH packs these days? I concur on the run time of the 4500mAhr BJ cells, simply amazing! I've done whole dive days with 300-500 flashes and the power level might drop on notch. It's a great upgrade, and saves a ton of cash if you don't buy the overpriced Ike charger.

PRC, Nice photos of the battery detail.

I thought I would report back on the rebuild of 2 packs.

Went with the 4500mAhr batteries from BJ. No problem with fitting pack into Ike battery compartment, or charging using Ikelite charger.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/red-subc4500-tab.html

To assist in locating the new battery pack, I took the old pack and traced on a piece of paper the location of the cells and then hot glued them together one at a time.

Took about an hour for the first pack rebuild and 15 minutes for the second.

I found I needed a high watt solder iron ( Weller D550 260watts). Trick is to apply lots of heat quickly. The battery act as heat sink and sucks heat away from the solder as you are trying to heat it up. Bad things can happen if too much heat transfers into the battery. I kept the batteries as cool as possible (swabbed with moist rag after heating).

The run time is amazing with these cells. At least 3+ dives (several hundred shots) with modeling light on full time

Mike

Does anyone happen to know what sort of cells Ikelite is using in their NiMH packs these days?

1.8 Ahr I think.

Does anyone happen to know what sort of cells Ikelite is using in their NiMH packs these days? I concur on the run time of the 4500mAhr BJ cells, simply amazing! I've done whole dive days with 300-500 flashes and the power level might drop on notch. It's a great upgrade, and saves a ton of cash if you don't buy the overpriced Ike charger.

Battery pack capacity

Could well be a 4,000mAh pack. I'm still looking for someone who has opened a recently made NiMH battery pack and who knows for sure.

3825908562_4d9a774609_o.jpg

Edited by Swordfish

Thanks. It looks like Ikelite starts using higher-capacity batteries as these become available. My two battery packs, made in July and November 2008, appear to top out at ~4000mAh, based on my tests. In the absence of clear specifications from Ikelite, one can only assume the capacity of one's battery pack based on how long it takes to charge it using the Ikelite smart charger.

Just a heads-up for anyone buying the Tenergy 4500's from batteryjunction suggested in this thread, that i just recieved some and they came with no tabs! The reply that i got from batteryjunction is that they no longer sell these batteries with tabs (even though they have "-tab" in the URL still."

Is it still safe to solder tabs onto flat top batteries? Anyone got any tips to do this?

Cheers,

Peter

Hey Peter

I would not advise that. Can you take them to batteries plus store and have tabs welded on them? If not return them and get some with tabs. The batteries don't like the heat and the solder takes up extra room.

Bill

Hey Peter

I would not advise that. Can you take them to batteries plus store and have tabs welded on them? If not return them and get some with tabs. The batteries don't like the heat and the solder takes up extra room.

Bill

I just contacted a local battery supplier and they said they would be able to solder the tabs on for me. I asked about welding and they said they dont do welding but soldering will do the job. Is welding essential? Will solder be less reliable?

Well the problem is not reliable it is that the battery doesn't like the heat from soldering. The spot welding is a very low heat short duration activity. When soldering you have to get the end of the battery hot enough to accept the solder.

Most producers of NiCd and NiMh cells advise against soldering their cells for two reasons. First you can overheat them when you make them too hot using a light soldering iron. A larger soldering iron lets you use short heating times and less risk of ruining the cells. Secondly, you can clog up the over charge vent which is usually located at the positive pole. When you ovecharge a cell, the battery will get a lot of pressure inside. If that pressure becomes too high, you risk the explosion of the cell. As the casing of the cell is made of metal, it can become a true granade!

http://www.dream-models.com/eco/buildPack.html

search nimh solder

good luck

I seem to remember someone having their own circuit boards printed up for the DS125 battery pack.

If it was you, could you please message me?

Thanks,

Peter

4200 NIMH tenergy batteries from batteryjunction have too too large of a diameter to work. They are .92 inches in diameter.

You need .87 inch diameter batteries.

.87 inch diameter NIMH batteries are hard to find. Anybody have a source?

PS

3800 NIMH batteries from batteryjucntion are listed as same diameter as the 4200 NIMH batteries.

The specifications listed on the web site are probably not correct.

I used these batteries

http://www.batteryspace.com/nimhrechargeab...ithtabs1pc.aspx

web site listed 23mm (0.91") actual size 22mm .867"

original batteries 22.2mm .874"

Anyhow I don't think that it is that tight in there that a mm or two wouldn't fit.

Edited by blibecap

...Anyhow I don't think that it is that tight in there that a mm or two wouldn't fit.

The problem with the diameter is that there is not enough room for the circuit board if the batteries have too large of a diameter. I wouldn't have beleved it myself if I hadn't tried it.

I had some circuit boards made by a company called BatchPCB ( www.batchpcb.com )

So for those who need a new circuit board for their strobes: http://www.batchpcb.com/product_info.php?p...17dc62bf778bc13

I think you need to be registred to actually see it, but I can assure you it's there... Mine has been working for almost a year now, and I have have a few spares if I ever get that unlucky again...

It seems that it's the same type of batterypack for the DS-125, 160 and 161. So I think you could use this with every strobe, and not only for the DS-125

Just a heads-up for anyone buying the Tenergy 4500's from batteryjunction suggested in this thread, that i just recieved some and they came with no tabs! The reply that i got from batteryjunction is that they no longer sell these batteries with tabs (even though they have "-tab" in the URL still."

Is it still safe to solder tabs onto flat top batteries? Anyone got any tips to do this?

Cheers,

Peter

Earlier in the thread, people suggested brushing the surfaces to be soldered to break the oxide layer, using a very hot solder iron, using flux. You can solder these, but be quick as too much heat will harm the batteries. The other thing people said was these are too fat, and may be tight in the housing. Better to use the undersized 3800 MAH Tenergy cells.

As for chargers, why not use an old laptop charger? These are all made to charge NiMH batteries, and accept worldwide voltage. I find them cheap at flea markets. Cut off the battery plug, replace it with a new one from Radio Shack, and save a bit.

Laptop chargers are generally just a power supply and rely on smarts in the laptop and/or battery to control the charging. They would probably overcharge a dumb pack.

Also, with all the discussion of soldering, I'm surprised no one has suggested having the battery supplier spot weld the pack together. I've had my battery supplier

(batterystore.com) do that for my Nikon SB-104 packs. Your Ike packs would require a jig to get the nice circular pattern, but I think that would be better than soldering.

Also, the diode is likely there to prevent a short at the charging port from causing a fire.

Chuck

Edited by Chuck Tribolet

Hi All,

Sorry for dragging up such an old thread. I am in need of replacing the batteries in my DS-125 now and am looking to use:

Sub C 4000mAh NiMH Tagged Battery

Nominal capacity - 4000mAh

Dimensions - H 42mm x W 22.0mm Weight 54g

Price: £3.25

from http://www.batteriesplus.co.uk/acatalog/1...._Batteries.html

Do they look to be correct?

Also, my current charger, that came with the ds-125 says:

NiCd-/NiMH-charger 5-6 cells/2,5-10Ah

Type: FW7304/10

input: 100-240~/ 50-60Hz/ 450mA/ 31W

Output: 5-10,5V DC/ 2,0A

Will this be ok to use with the replacement batteries?

I think all should be fine, just wanted to check :(

Thanks

Cal

Those look about right to me.

Hi All,

Sorry for dragging up such an old thread. I am in need of replacing the batteries in my DS-125 now and am looking to use:

Sub C 4000mAh NiMH Tagged Battery

Nominal capacity - 4000mAh

Dimensions - H 42mm x W 22.0mm Weight 54g

Price: £3.25

from http://www.batteriesplus.co.uk/acatalog/1...._Batteries.html

Do they look to be correct?

Also, my current charger, that came with the ds-125 says:

NiCd-/NiMH-charger 5-6 cells/2,5-10Ah

Type: FW7304/10

input: 100-240~/ 50-60Hz/ 450mA/ 31W

Output: 5-10,5V DC/ 2,0A

Will this be ok to use with the replacement batteries?

I think all should be fine, just wanted to check :(

Thanks

Cal

Sponsors

Advertisements