pmooney

Canon Full Frame - Lens Selection

All current talk about full cameras has got me thinking.....

What would be your choices for macro lenses for Canon FULL FRAME Cameras ?

Edited by pmooney

I use the Sigma 150mm with a Canon 500D diopter. I love it and would recommend it to anyone who likes a long macro and AF. The field of view is similar to a 100mm on a crop body so if you are coming from a crop body+100mm, you already know what the focal length is like. The 150mm field of view(a 100mm lens on a crop body) is great for pictures of gobies and such, not so great for snapper ( unless you are Dr. Mustard :guiness: )

I think the 150mm is a much better choice than one of the 180mm macros for use underwater, especially if you like AF, because the 150 if F/2.8 while the 180s are F/3.5, so AF should be better. It has Ring USM so the AF is nice and fast (well all macro lenses have slow AF because of how far they have to travel from 1:1 to infinity, but compared to a MM it is snappy)

Someday I would like buy another Canon 100mm USM (flooded it and replaced it with the 150) for shooting slightly larger subjects.

I think that the 50mm macros don't have enough working distance to be used as a macro lens on FF, though others would disagree. A 50mm is great focal length for shooting medium - large fish, but that is not really macro (and you don't need a macro lens, the 50/1.4 works great for this)

I do not recommend the 180 macro, either. I haven't used the 150 macro, but I use the 100mm macro and 100mm + Kenko 2X converter. The 180mm frustrated me because it and only does 1:1 and doesn't work well with diopters.

A Sigma 50mm macro is useful, too. As Will wrote, it is hard to use at 1:1, but at least it is an option (the Canon 50mm is only 1:2).

Having used the Canon 180 and Sigma 150 I'd also agree. I much preferred the Sigma. You can add a 1.4x to the Sigma 150 as well and a 2x if you are a masochist. :guiness: I don't personally like anything much longer than 200mm.

An alternative to the 50mm could be a midrange zoom. For fish portraits it gives more flexibility but not good magnification.

The downside of the Sigma 150 is that you have to travel with the 100mm as well or give up that option.

I think the Canon 100mm is the most essential macro lens for full frame. You can add a 1.5X or 2X Kenko TC to make it longer (assuming your housing has a manual focus ring to operate with the TC). Of course, unless you have crystal clear water, you won't be able to use the 100mm for fish, etc. - it usually makes for a macro ONLY dive.

I also like the Sigma 50mm for situations where I MIGHT want to shoot macro, but also think I might want to shoot some fish/reef/turtle/shark shots. IOW, on dives where you don't know WHAT you're going to come across.

Another good option if you want a better fish lens with a little more reach than the 50mm AND still 1:1 macro capability is the newer Sigma 70mm. It's a very nice choice as a "combo" (fish + macro) lens.

While the Sigma 150mm is a good lens, I don't even usually take it on trips anymore. It is really heavy, and I actually like the Canon 100mm+TC better.

Oh, and consider getting a wet diopter - you can carry it and slap it onto the outside of your port with ANY of the above for a little more magnification.

Edited by bmyates

I use two macros on my 1DS & 5D. The 100 is a superb lens, excellent for fish and suchlike. The 60EFS fitted with the 12mm extension tube (MkII) is fabulous on FF in low vis where its long distance limit of ~40cm isn't a big deal. Here's a shot taken on Monday from springtime in sunny North Wales - its at greater than 1:1 and working distance is small but using a single small Seaflash 100 worked a treat.post-1587-1210265810_thumb.jpg

Sponsors

Advertisements