rcolman

strange ghost image (hv30 + Pro 6)

Anyone out there also using a Canon HV20/30 in an Equinox Pro 6 housing?

Here are my first dive impressions:

1) I notice a strange circular ghost image in the video. I THINK this is due to the "wide-angle adpater" supplied by Equinox with the package. It is a silvery aluminum, and I think it is relfecting off of the inner surface of the dome port, creating a mirror like ghost image. Anyone else experience this?

2) DONT USE THE LANYARD ATTACKMENT ON THE BACK PORT!! It is very flimsey. I did, and it broke while hanging off of the boat and I almost lost the rig. Two divers spent 30 minutes searching for it at 60' before I recovered it.

3) I added a 2.5 video monitor and AA battery pack. Monitor is marginal, but you need something for framing. The whole rig is now way too negative and I need to figure out some way to adjust bouyancy back to neutral..

Anyone else out there who can comment?

Rick Colman

Anyone out there also using a Canon HV20/30 in an Equinox Pro 6 housing?

Here are my first dive impressions:

1) I notice a strange circular ghost image in the video. I THINK this is due to the "wide-angle adpater" supplied by Equinox with the package. It is a silvery aluminum, and I think it is relfecting off of the inner surface of the dome port, creating a mirror like ghost image. Anyone else experience this?

2) DONT USE THE LANYARD ATTACKMENT ON THE BACK PORT!! It is very flimsey. I did, and it broke while hanging off of the boat and I almost lost the rig. Two divers spent 30 minutes searching for it at 60' before I recovered it.

3) I added a 2.5 video monitor and AA battery pack. Monitor is marginal, but you need something for framing. The whole rig is now way too negative and I need to figure out some way to adjust bouyancy back to neutral..

Anyone else out there who can comment?

Rick Colman

1. try painting (or use a sharpie) to blacken the outer edge of the lenses to reduce the reflection

2. don't trust anything plastic to hold your housing

3. PCV pipes with end caps are the cheapest and easiest way to acheive neutral bouyancy. It will take some trial and error but you should be able to achieve a nearly perfectly balanced and neutral rig.

Good luck

regarding the ghost image, didn't you get a black ring that screws onto the front of the camera to block out the reflection. That will save you having to colour in your camera. I know that Ikelite sell them if you need one

You were lucky you found it... bet your heart was thumping pretty hard.

Sponsors

Advertisements