Sign in to follow this  
GetClose

Using normal “land based� diopters underwater

Hello,

Beside my SLR I am using a digital compact camera (Olympus C4000). It’s a nice thing to play around with, but I am not so happy with the closest focus distance at the long end. Since I use this equipment as a second camera only I do not want to invest in close up lens which is designed for underwater use.

So I consider to use a “land based†diopter lens. I am aware, the effect of this lens will be weaker by a factor between 3 and 4 underwater. I am more interested in the durability of this kind of lens in (salt) water. I have found some short information here from people using these kind of lenses, but nothing about the durability.

The lens will consist of glass and metal (probably more aluminum than brass). Both should stand also sea water, especially if you do not save the grease for the winding.

Does anybody here has experience with using land based diopters or also filters underwater and can share some experience about that?

Greetings from Germany,

Juergen

Moin, Moin

I bougth a expensive close-up lens in a shop and other cheaper in ebay. Both seemed to hold well going on water. The cheaper ones are bigger but the material doesn't look like it is going to suffer soon (probably brass). I lost the expensive one but the cheaper one has been on water since last year.

I've drilled some holes in the mount of my land closeup lenses. This way I don't have to care mucht about ensuring that water is between lenses while mounting.

The most important thing will be maintenance. Wash the lenses as soon as possible after being in water, like you do with your housin.

If you go for 10+ dioptries lenses, they usually have some treatment. I ignore what is that for, just hope it doesn't have anything to do with reducing aberrations :) After being in water and washing the lense, it goes away. Mind that before you dry them with a white towel.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements