Sign in to follow this  
louis-o

What is the underwater super glue?

I am always facinated to see that most (water pressure resistant) plexiglass projects dont even have screws... only super glue. Even heavy aquariums are glued.

Does somebody know the name of that glue?... i dont expect to go deeper than 90 feet deep.

Aquariums aren't 'glued' but use a solvent, methylene dichloride sometimes with other additives depending on the vendor. The solvent dissolves a small layer of the plexiglass or acrylic which then resolidifies as the solvent evaporates. This provides what is frequently referred as a 'welded' joint. In general, the softer the plastic product, the easier and faster it is to make the joint because the shorter acrilate polymers in the softer products are easier to dissolve; i.e., plexiglass is easier than acrylic. PVC cement works the same way on PVC materials.

I've used steel epoxy underwater with good results.

This is what I used ... on Amazon

It worked great as I was gluing something metal to something plastic ... It fell off within seconds when I took it out in < 20 degree weather - but that's not surprising.

In "normal" temperatures it held strong.

The best glue i know, is silicone sealant (What Is Silicone Sealant). It can withstand high temperatures and stays flexible when dryed and you can almost glue everything with that stuff. It is used for fresh- and saltwater aquarium aswell.

Edited by marcos

I have been building my own housing for years, and there is only one glue for sticking plexi.

Bostik tensol 70. This is a 2 part glue. it welds the glue.. I have had housing to more that 50m using this. Very stong. You buy it from a good perspex holder..

Silicon is good for sticking flat ports on flat surfaces. Use silicon designed for the job, rather than bathroon silicon. You can get it from car shops, it is used for instant gasket.

It is designed t be used in a marine enviroment. They make a tensol 14 or 40, this is ok, but the 70 is better.

Edited by Dan burton

I have been building my own housing for years, and there is only one glue for sticking plexi.

Bostik tensol 70. This is a 2 part glue. it welds the glue.. I have had housing to more that 50m using this. Very stong. You buy it from a good perspex holder..

Silicon is good for sticking flat ports on flat surfaces. Use silicon designed for the job, rather than bathroon silicon. You can get it from car shops, it is used for instant gasket.

It is designed t be used in a marine enviroment. They make a tensol 14 or 40, this is ok, but the 70 is better.

I have been trying to find tensol 70 in the US with no luck so far.

Anyone know if it is sold under a different name here?

Contacting Bostik has been no help so far.

Dave

Aquariums aren't 'glued' but use a solvent, methylene dichloride sometimes with other additives depending on the vendor. The solvent dissolves a small layer of the plexiglass or acrylic which then resolidifies as the solvent evaporates. This provides what is frequently referred as a 'welded' joint. In general, the softer the plastic product, the easier and faster it is to make the joint because the shorter acrilate polymers in the softer products are easier to dissolve; i.e., plexiglass is easier than acrylic. PVC cement works the same way on PVC materials.

This is quite true for acrylic aquariums, BUT, glass aquariums do indeed still exist and they are sealed with RTV (room temperature vulcanization) silicone rubber, often after applying a primer. Silicone is quite water resistant but not so for shear, so be careful.

Bill

Have look here - the SikaFlex brand has a range of products that have been developed specifically for the marine environment.

Just be careful with handling as it sticks like ..... to a blanket

I am always facinated to see that most (water pressure resistant) plexiglass projects dont even have screws... only super glue. Even heavy aquariums are glued.

Does somebody know the name of that glue?... i dont expect to go deeper than 90 feet deep.

I don't know the name of that glue but in the past I have been able to get a lot of good information on hard to glue situations from The Glue Doctor at

http://www.ellsworth.com/gluedoctor.html

One of the hardest things I have had to glue was polyethylene plastic to pvc. I found if I heated the polyethlene I could use regular hot glue applicator to join the two, but only if the temperature did not freeze.

regards,

Robb

UnderwaterVideoSite.com

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements