orlando_xxx

Ultra light Travel Case

I am looking for a case like a pelican case but not as heavy. Do you know any options?

thanx in advance

orlando

Check out the cases made by Hardigg Storm. They are lighter and I really like the double action latches. The pelican latches always scared me. There is an outfit on E-bay selling Storm cases at a pretty significant discount. I use the M2500 to carry-on my housing, ports, and strobes. The MDX-40D just fits, but its close, you have to take off one of the strobe connector plugs. The Storm is 4 lbs. lighter than the equivalent Pelican. (11 vs 15).

Steve

I have found that Seahorse (Rolling) Case SE-920 is about the same weight and bigger than either the pelican or the Storm cases. They seem to be built just as tough and skirt the carry-on restrictions.....

http://www.seahorse.net/products-se-series...tent.htm#SE-920

I had one of those. But against the 1510 it seemed alot bigger and I was not quite convinced that it would work based on the size. Seemed like it was big enough to probably get bounced from carry-on though the measurements would indicate otherwise. May try it at some point, but I let someone borrow it after I took a look at it and it seemed closer to the 1650 size case.

Quick tip:

Try and find a case that doesn't quite say, hey look expensive camera gear. Pelican cases and the likes were always a great attraction for customs guys!

Think about this too... If you were a thief what bag would you go for, an expensive looking bag or one that doesn't look so fancy? Oops, I suppose that's the Scouser in me coming out here!

Edited by Graham Abbott

I had one of those. But against the 1510 it seemed alot bigger and I was not quite convinced that it would work based on the size. Seemed like it was big enough to probably get bounced from carry-on though the measurements would indicate otherwise. May try it at some point, but I let someone borrow it after I took a look at it and it seemed closer to the 1650 size case.

I had the 1510 but switched to the Seahorse. It does fit into the pipe bag measure devise. It is bigger than the 1510, but a little lighter. I have used it for years all over and have had no trouble with it. Here are some pics of the difference between the 1510, and the case with all my stuff in it.

1362542913_6061322358_o.jpg

2250767287_17eb6827de_o.jpg

Just don't let the check in counter see it or they might weigh it. The size is OK, but with gear-the weight isn't. The weight will be over if you used an ultralite paper bag!!

I have some one watch the bag, away from the counter, while I check in.

Check out the cases made by Hardigg Storm. They are lighter and I really like the double action latches. The pelican latches always scared me. There is an outfit on E-bay selling Storm cases at a pretty significant discount. I use the M2500 to carry-on my housing, ports, and strobes.

A few weeks ago I found the 2500 with customizable foam for $122, free shipping, as long as I was okay with YELLOW. I just used it on a trip with Ikelite housing, camera, 2 lenses, 1 port, 2 strobes. Fit easily into overhead compartments, rolls easily, great protection. It may scream STEAL ME, but it was always with me as carry-on. So far, I like it a lot.

I had the 1510 but switched to the Seahorse. It does fit into the pipe bag measure devise. It is bigger than the 1510, but a little lighter. I have used it for years all over and have had no trouble with it. Here are some pics of the difference between the 1510, and the case with all my stuff in it.

That looks like the lid organizer for a pelican 1510 that you have mounted in the lid. How did you attach it? I'm looking to do the same thing.

Thanks,

Vic

Sponsors

Advertisements