Sign in to follow this  
carina

New CAMERA to use with Inon UFL165 wide angle lens and Inon D200 strobe?

Hi

I have been using an Olympus C60z for around the last 4 years with an Inon UFL165 fisheye lens and Inon D200 strobe? It is time to upgrade!

I am trying to find a new compact camera ideally that can shoot raw and will work with my fisheye lens and strobe. Can anyone recommend anything?

One problem I had with the C60z was the lag time as the camera would never take the photos straight away when you had a turtle, manta, shark etc close up which was always v frustrating! So I also need a camera that avoids this problem or advice on if I was doing something wrong or missed an obvious setting.

Thx, Carina

Below is my website which includes some underwater photos to indicate the sort of photography I shoot uw.

www.photoescape.co.uk

Hi

I have been using an Olympus C60z for around the last 4 years with an Inon UFL165 fisheye lens and Inon D200 strobe? It is time to upgrade!

I am trying to find a new compact camera ideally that can shoot raw and will work with my fisheye lens and strobe. Can anyone recommend anything?

One problem I had with the C60z was the lag time as the camera would never take the photos straight away when you had a turtle, manta, shark etc close up which was always v frustrating! So I also need a camera that avoids this problem or advice on if I was doing something wrong or missed an obvious setting.

Thx, Carina

Below is my website which includes some underwater photos to indicate the sort of photography I shoot uw.

www.photoescape.co.uk

No such animal currently eixists, the closest would the the Canon 570IS with the RAW hack.

DSCF0156.jpg

As stated, there's no compact cameras the don't have shutter lag, but they should be a bit quicker than your old camera.

Have a look at the Canon G9, has RAW, and is an amazing camera. Considering the strobe and lens you've got, maybe a canon housing would be the better way to go (will depend on what it's easier to put the lens on, canon or ikelite housing).

Have a flick through the compact camera forum, there's a LOT of posts about the G7/G9.

Ryan.

Hi!

Thanks for the advise. I shall check out the G7 / G9 - although sadly I don't think my lens will fit with the canon housing.

cheers

Hi

You are right that the Inon lens will not fit the Canon G7/9 housing. In fact Inon do a converter, but due to the shape of the lens barrel (Oval) you get some shadowing in the corners of the photos.

The guys are right that most compacts have a shutter lag time, but some of them have a very small lag (my Canon Ixus950 is 0.18s, not really noticeable to most people). You just need to check out the camera specs first before buying.

I think the best option is the DX-1G. I think this is a great camera, and will be my compact upgrade of choice when I outgrow the Ixus (see why here). Also the DX-1G has a dedicated 106.5 wide angle lens as well as a most superb macro mode.

Cheers

Hal

Crawdad,

A question (or two) for you:

What is the device on the left hand side of your picture attached to the long tray?

Do you find your D2000 with the diffuser gives enough coverage to light up what the inon FE lense sees?

I have a new D2000 and the 165FE lense. I also have my old sealife SL960D strobe. It's not as nice as the D2000 and you have to set it manually, but it does throw light in the water which is the main function of a strobe. I was thinking about using it in combo with the D2000 to help with WA shots and fill lighting.

Thanks.

Crawdad,

A question (or two) for you:

What is the device on the left hand side of your picture attached to the long tray?

Do you find your D2000 with the diffuser gives enough coverage to light up what the inon FE lense sees?

I have a new D2000 and the 165FE lense. I also have my old sealife SL960D strobe. It's not as nice as the D2000 and you have to set it manually, but it does throw light in the water which is the main function of a strobe. I was thinking about using it in combo with the D2000 to help with WA shots and fill lighting.

Thanks.

The G9 is a poor choice because it will not accept the Inon lenses--so what good is it? It is a terrible choice for anything other than macro or plain old snaps. I suppose you could BUY the 67 mm threaded Inon and dome at nearly 700 dollars to do what the Inon 165 AD already does at half the cost and in conjunction with the Ike housing since the Canon housing has a useless square port--bad--bad. IMO, the 570 is a better choice than the G9 because it can and does and will accept the Inon AD lenses which the G9 cannot. That is a killer right there before getting out of the gate.

The "thing" is a Sekinic Marine meter. It is a light meter for determining exposure independent of the camera system. Since the 570 is capable of full manual control I find the Sekonic to be much easier and intuitive for my exposure info. Handy in the Av/Tv modes also and for second guessing auto as well. Also helps with figuring flash fill photos. The little tray is home made. I left it a little long so I could get my hand in there. I may shorten it a bit after a few more water tests. Have a few more mods in mind also.

Frankly, I cannot believe you guys don't use a light meter.

Edited by crawdad

One other thing, no, the Inon D2000 will not fully cover the super wide UFL165AD. The D2000 with diffuser is about 110 degrees and the 165AD lens is in the 160 degree plus range. It would take two strobes to fully cover--but---the diffuser provides soft edges,expose a little for the back ground and use the flash to highlight the close subject--such as a diver like this:

P3270019.jpg

and like this:

IMG_0291_edited-1.jpg

Hi, a good alternative is the FUJI 50 fd in a IKELITE underwater housing and bayonet adaptor, with this equipment is possible work with the INON 165 and INON substrobe

Hi, a good alternative is the FUJI 50 fd in a IKELITE underwater housing and bayonet adaptor, with this equipment is possible work with the INON 165 and INON substrobe

Cheers for all the tips! I'll look into the Fuji - I was also looking in the E900 fuji but this is about 3 years old. Hopefully I'll come up with a good solution v soon.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements